1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Bell

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I like what I see from Jordan Bell, junior power forward out of Oregon. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he looks like a guy who could potentially guard several positions. I think the Rockets really need a a four who can play five in smallball lineups and defend the paint and be strong on switches, especially on the pick-and-roll.

He can defend. He was the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, averaging 10.9 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and 1.3 steals in 28.8 minutes per game.

He seems to fit the Morey mold -- undersized (6-foot-7 without shoes) but a near 7-foot wingspan, terrific motor and really good athleticism.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is the 6'7" height with or without the hair?

da_juice likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Clutch... you just made @basketballholic 's day. He loves this dude and would trade Capela for him.

He definitely has defensive potential. He's just such a 0 offensively, I wonder if he can get on the court other than for very spot minutes.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He has the instincts and athleticism to be a good defensive forward, quick feet, great shot blocker, quick hands, has the quickness to hold some SF's and to do a decent job on switches. He's also a fantastic finisher around the rim.

That being said, I think he either has to play next to a 3pt shooting center, or develop a reliable 3pt shot for him to be successful in todays floor spacing league.

He doesn't have the size, length or strength to play extended minutes at center in the NBA IMO, and he currently has no range whatsoever which won't allow him to play many minutes at PF on most NBA teams (like our very own Rockets).

It reminds me of Harrell's problem, he doesn't have the size to play center successfully, and he can't get minutes at PF due to his lack of shot. Bell is a much better defender then Harrell is, but his size is going to be a big problem if he has to play center full time in the NBA.

5. basketballholic

He's not a zero offensively. He's a more efficient pnr finisher than Capela.

Clutch hit the key with Bell - motor. No player in this draft has a better motor.

He's the best defender in this draft. He'll be a defensive difference maker in the NBA. He's going to become an adequate three-point shooter within two seasons because of his work ethic. And in four years he'll have earned a very rich contract. If Bell stays healthy he'll be one of the ten best players in this draft easily, and may be one of the best five players in this draft. He should go lottery. He's a steal anywhere outside the lottery.

Deuce likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Except for the 3-point shooting comment, I agree with everything in your post.

I follow Oregon basketball very closely and knew in 2015 this guy was an NBA player. Besides the very quickest PGs, he can guard anyone in the PnR. Offense isn't his calling card but he definitely isn't a zero. He has good dexterity and can finish in traffic without dunking. He's also a good passer.

Anyone who watched the NCAA tourney should know Bell has a very bright NBA future. If Bouchet didn't go down, Oregon would have won it all.

I'll be watching him closely in the NBA.

Last comment: He is one of the most breathtaking in-game dunkers I've ever seen. I'm talking LeBron/Amare level.

da_juice likes this.
  7. ballgame

ballgame Member

No! No! A Thousand times No!

Enough with the undersized guards and big men. Morey has a track record of trying to find gems with undersized players with long arms;

Chuck Hayes, Joey Dorsey, Montrezl Harrell....I can go on and on. These players are good during the regular season BUT when the playoffs come they are at a CLEAR DISADVANTAGE....THEY ARE TOO SHORT!

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You seriously don't see the differences between Bell and those 3 guys?

If the Warriors had Bell, he would have played in game 5 at C because he's not empty between the ears like Peculiar and McGee, can defend the PnR and also protect the rim as a help defender. We better hope the Warriors don't draft him.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I love bell. If he added a 3pt shot ,very possible since his form isn't horrible, he's the perfect 4 in today's game ( He's tough enough to play some smallball 5 for you too). I love his attitude, hustle, and motor ( defensive desire and athleticism) I'd be excited if the Rox landed this kid.

#9 TEXNIFICENT, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. ballgame

ballgame Member

Joey Dorsey was Defensive Player of the Year in his Conference, went to NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP, Morey deemed him the NEW AGE CENTER OF TOMORROW and even drafted him over DeAndre Jordan and Hassan Whiteside... TWO 7'0 FOOT centers with long arms.

I wish I can say Morey has learned his lesson BUT he continues to draft short players and we continue to fall short!!

Our back and front court got abused against SA.....we we're too short

Dubious likes this.
  11. basketballholic

We'd all better hope that neither the Warriors nor the Spurs get Bell.

snowconeman22 and red5rocket like this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Bell > Dorsey

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I give up. Bell and Dorsey are two completely different players. Watch Bell in summer league and it will be very obvious.

I thought Morey was nuts after his comments on Dorsey. At the time, it really made me lose confidence in his player evaluation ability.

basketballholic likes this.
  14. Normalus

Normalus Member

He has changed his shooting form a bit & improved his %. Just look.

P.S. he looks SF to me, can play 4-5 in small ball lineups.

15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

another undersized PF

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If he developed a knock down 3PT shot he could definitely play around half his minutes at SF if needed due to his quickness. That being said, I worry about his shot even being good enough to allow him to play a the 4 in the Rockets system.

Dekker played 87% of his minutes at PF this season due to his poor 3pt shooting, Harrell played 97% of his minutes at center this season due to his non existent 3PT shot. Forwards in the Rockets system HAVE to be able to shoot 3's in order to suceed. Even Dekker who made 0.8 3's per game on 32% looked damn near unplayable at PF in our system a lot of the time last season.

Bell looks too small to play NBA center, and at 23 he's pretty filled out, he's only 6'8, 224 lb with a 6'11 wingspan, the size of a normal NBA SF or a small ball PF. Even with his great defensive instincts, his size would likely kill him most of the time at center. To me he's ideally a PF/SF with very occasional minutes at C. Which means he has to really develop a shot to fit in Houston, or else he'd be limited to playing strictly center like Harrell is currently.

17. basketballholic

He's not too small. He's bigger than Draymond. His shot is going to develop. You can see this one coming. He's a 4/5 that can switch. And he'll be versatile offensively.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Can defend multiple positions, great instincts, high motor....

Does Portland really pass on him at 26? I have a hard time believing they say no.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I like Sterling Brown (Shannon's little brother).... sounds like a mega-lite James Harden. Would be nice to have off the bench if we end up trading Eric Gordon.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Green is a big time anomaly when it comes to his size and ability to play center. Montrezl Harrell is much bigger then Green. Had 20 pounds on him coming into the league a year younger, over an inch taller, 3 inch longer wingspan, 2 inch longer standing reach and likely a higher vertical (Harrell's was not measured). But Harrell's still clearly too small too play center for extended periods of time.

We will see how Bell fares in the league at center, I think his best route to success is developing a shot and playing full time PF.