1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Solid Hire. Very underrated.

sammy and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

He was the 3rd or 4th best coach in the conference this year.

He is a solid hire under the circumstances.

I don't question his ability to coach.

My only real question mark is his ability to recruit in Texas.

He didn't have a single kid from Texas on his roster this year.

My question is whether he is going to try to take his recruits with him because Baylor has the worst recruiting class in major D1 football.

Hustle Town likes this.
  3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He'll have time to figure it out. NCAA investigation is ongoing and sanctions are coming.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oregon wanted him.

He's the third or fourth best coach but made the conference title game in years 2 and 3 while winning it in his third. Tough crowd.

Temple has allowed 33 points in the last 5 games. He seems like a balanced coach.

5. Nook

Nook Member

He is a good coach.

Being third or fourth best coach in his conference isn't an insult, the conference was loaded with good coaches this year.

6. askball

askball Member

Yeah I read somewhere he's more of a defensive guy, which is surprising since (I believe) Mack Rhoades came out and said they'd like the next BU coach to be offensive minded. Will Baylor abandon the spread?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm hearing it's a bad fit. I hope it works out.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is very hard (but not impossible) for someone not involved in the Texas recruiting market to come in and compete with the programs in Texas and the SEC and BIG XII. That is without question his biggest stumbling block (other than the whole mass rape thing).

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

7 year deal

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have a bad feeling about this.

11. sammy

In what sense. Most "experts" are saying that's it's a good to great hire. Some idiots like Finnebaune shocked that he chose Baylor. :)

#1571 sammy, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I don't think it's a great hire. The lack of ties to Texas recruiting are a big deal for a school that plays second fiddle to Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, and Houston. High school coaches can be fickle, so those relationships matter. Rhule ran a pro-style offense at Temple, which won't work in the Big XII and won't be attractive to recruits. Baylor is basically starting over without its brand of air raid offense.

#1572 Hustle Town, Dec 6, 2016
  13. sammy

o
    Man you really hate Baylor so we can't ever take your BS seriously.

Second fiddle to UH or TCU is far from true. Baylor has recruited far more 4 star players than UH over the years and our facilities are top notch from Mclane, Simpson Athletic Center, indoor practice field, locker-rooms...Baylor does it better.

Rhule will hire a few Texas coaches as assistants and has already said that. He's already hired former Texas assistant Jeff Traylor from what I know. He put out 2 offers to Florida recruits today. Texas isn't the end all for everything. It will take some time, but this is the right type of hire to rebuild a program. We just got a guy that finished second and first in his conference in his 2nd and 3rd seasons at Temple. Freakin Temple. His resume is quite impressive and he's worked extensively on both sides of the ball while coaching in the NFL and CFB.

#1573 sammy, Dec 6, 2016
  14. sammy

Temple's current Director of Player Personnel in Evan Cooper taking the same position at Baylor. Has a lot of FL ties.

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I do hate Baylor, but I gave my honest opinion. You are a blind homer who doesn't think his program has done anything wrong, so what makes your opinion any better than mine?

I'm saying that a lot of Baylor's recruiting of highly talented skill players is because of the air raid offense put forth by Briles and company. I don't know about TCU, but Houston just upgraded all of its facilities too. It's not that much of a draw.

Strong also thought he would be successful recruiting in Florida and then abandoned that strategy by the end of his stint at Texas. Rhule is a solid coach and did a great job turning around the program at Temple. But he was still prone to losing to bad teams and got out-coached on occasion. Like you said, it's a long term rebuild. Maybe Baylor is finally focused on turning everything around, but I'll believe it when I see it. The school doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt from anyone.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think it's a pretty good hire.

Agreed. Baylor has one of the nicest new stadiums and they have all new facilities. I just wish it was a bigger stadium.

Agreed x2. He signed a 7 year deal. This isn't a "let's see what you do after 3 years." It's the long haul reboot. Any coach that would have taken this job would be facing a very hard recruiting job in the next couple years so Baylor won't miss out on a ton of opportunity because they are bringing up someone from out of state. He and his staff have time to build relationships and he'll be bringing in assistants who have recruited Texas and they do the bulk of traveling anyway. Also, I don't think it's a huge deal to bring an out of Texas guy. Mack and Charlie Strong both came from outside of Texas and did a great job recruiting. That was pretty much the only thing Charlie was good at.

-Why do you hate Baylor? I get hating OU or A&M. Do you mean what the administration did with the scandal? That makes sense. I just don't get hating them as a general thing.

-It took Sammy some time to come around (like everyone else) but he has said many times that the program messed up and did a lot wrong.

Houston is in the process but it won't be close to what Baylor already has. Their stadium cost twice as much as UH's which is a superficial evaluation but I'm not going to spend time breaking them down. That cost difference should still tell you enough. No offense to UH. Baylor even has some new facilities that are nicer than areas at UT. Stupid Steve Patterson put facility upgrades at UT behind by years. The south endzone improvements would be a complete overhaul of everything. (I digress)

I agree with the note about Strong. However, the lesson was that he didn't need to because he could put together great classes by recruiting Texas regardless of the fact that he didn't have connections here. Do you guys remember the "Florida 5"? What a disaster. 1 de-commited, 2 didn't qualify academically and 1 transferred out.

#1576 Brando2101, Dec 6, 2016
    sammy likes this.
  17. sammy

It was tough for me admit that Briles deserved to be fired. That's more clearer than ever now. He committed career suicide.

Baylor as an institution did a whole lot of wrong too. They embarrassed the alma mater like hell in the process. Some of the fans are still in denial though (blaming the BOR ad nauseam and not holding Briles accountable).

Today was another step in getting past the scandal. Scott Drew was able to do it and is still largely successful.

18. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Baylor had to go outside Texas to start from scratch because everyone inside Texas knows it will be a difficult job to start and unlike UT alumni and Strong I think Baylor and Rhule both know what's ahead of them. Charlie said it would be a full rebuild but no one believed him, plus Charlie had others issues with his on the field stuff. It's going to be interesting how Baylor as a school will be perceived by student athletes and there parents with this regime change.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have no idea what to expect here. I'm choosing to focus on Baylor basketball (ranked #4 in the country)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're balling OUT and doing it in some cool gear. I love when Big 12 basketball brings it. Too bad few others (including the students and alumni) care about hoops.