1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Closing the other thread and starting this one up.

Current topics include:

Dexter Fowler to the Cubs

New slide rules

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aroldis Chapman has accepted a 30 Game suspension.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Statement by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a>' Chapman: <br><br>&quot;Today, I accepted a 30 game suspension from Major League Baseball resulting... <a href="https://t.co/uNzflS1J0n">https://t.co/uNzflS1J0n</a></p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/704772690444353536">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. 713

713 Member

Yankees will be fine without Chapman, Betances and Andrew Miller are more than capable in the 8th and 9th. That division will be tough, think Red Sox will be better.

4. sew

sew Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bryce Harper is here to demolish baseball's unwritten rules. Bless him <a href="https://t.co/oehJ9ocBGA">https://t.co/oehJ9ocBGA</a> <a href="https://t.co/cPM0woZXb1">pic.twitter.com/cPM0woZXb1</a></p>&mdash; Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) <a href="https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/707932002473922565">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

So the Adam LaRoche situation just got real. Apparently Ken Williams had a meeting with the players yesterday, after they had to be talked out of boycotting a game by Robin Ventura. In the meeting things got heated between Chris Sale and Williams. Sale apparently told Williams he needs to stay out of the locker room and not meddle in the players business there. Williams then told the media that the change stemmed from complaints from players and coaches. Sale shot back that that was a bald faced lie. Now they are looking into a MLBPA grievance because LaRoche may have had it in his contract to allow his son in the clubhouse. This is already getting ugly and could get worse before it gets better. I don't see how ken Williams comes out of this looking good. this will be a tough situation for him to win if the players are galvanized against him and if it was indeed in LaRoche's contract.

#6 Castor27, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think a lot of it has been overblown. I understand Sale's side, but they need to keep a lot of this in house.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wonder if this will be the nail in Kenny Williams' White Sox career. I definitely think the team should fire him. I tend to believe his request was reasonable, but was botched as badly as possible.

9. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Yea, it appears the front office turned a relatively small issue into a huge deal. Having a clubhouse hate and distrust the coaching staff and front office right before the season starts doesn't seem like a prudent idea.

Or maybe Kenny Williams is really a genius, and he is using some reverse psychology tactics to get the team to come together and bond as one unit. In fact, this could very well be the script to Major League 4.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah galvanize the locker room while we cut some dead weight and save $13M. Genius.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm sure LaRoche's kid is the bee's knees, but I'd imagine SOME of the White Sox players were probably annoyed as **** that some 13 (now 14) year old kid was always hanging around the locker room. That's not exactly a PG environment. With that being said, I'm pretty sure Williams handled it about as badly as anybody could have, but maybe getting LaRoche to ragequit was his plan all along. Evil genius.

12. juicystream

I'm now convinced.

I think I'll go bet on the White Sox to win the whole damn thing.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Agree. It would be annoying and Willams probably did it intentionally. Major League psychology. I think Sale is a hothead though.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How are the Angels and Rangers looking on paper compared to last season?

Darvish is a big addition on paper and Hamels gets an entire season.

Pujols' production should naturally deteriorate a little.

Astros have the biggest upgrades, but these other squads were within 1-2 games last year..

15. juicystream

Astros had by far the best Run Differential last season of the 3, which is more predictive. Hamels hasn't been as effective in the AL to date. Darvish will be huge, but will also miss a couple of months.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LOL... Was only a matter of time till the stadium boom stadiums became "out-dated".

These teams signed whatever deal they could to get a new stadium up and built... And now the deal is no good.

The Braves have already set the precedent that a less than 20 year old stadium isn't good enough.

18. juicystream

To be fair, Turner Field wasn't on par with other venues, but I thought they should have stayed another 10 years there.

Arizona asking for another stadium is ridiculous. I wonder if there will ever be another stadium that stands for generations the way Fenway & Wrigley continue to do, or Yankee Stadium, Comiskey, or Tiger Stadium did before their newer stadiums.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why do you think that? Of course the team is claiming it needs 100 million dollars worth of infrastructure improvements... and in the end, they're really moving to a new venue where they get to keep more of the profits.

I think Camden Yards, despite being the first of the new baseball-specific stadiums, has a chance to go all the way... it still may be the best of all the newer ballparks, even though its the oldest.

But other than that, I agree that all of them will become outdated as soon as it makes economic and financial sense for the team to simply seek a new stadium... with a better lease... rather than improve the existing one.

I actually wouldn't mind a reconfiguration/remodel of MMP... especially the wall beyond right field that currently houses the large scoreboard. If they could find a way to install "windows" that allow sunlight in (or allow the area to become open when the roof is open), it would add to the awesome outdoor feel the ballpark has (even on days where the roof is closed).