1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chinese Food in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Aug 10, 2015.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin:

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chinese Food

East Wall...Hong Kong Street...Sinh Sinh off the menu...(All different kinds of Chinese food) Ask for something better or a special.

You'll probably be ok wandering Bellaire at the Beltway and trying to discover something.

3. hvic

hvic Member

you will definitely enjoy the food in Bellaire. Just get ready for the horrible service or a dirty look if you ask for a fork.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

All the Chinese restaurants I frequent have bad reviews on Yelp...which is perfectly fine by me, if that's what it takes for a bunch of great restaurants in one of the best (and certainly most underrated) Chinatowns in the country to keep on thriving without being infiltrated by a bunch of poser restaurants like Mala Sichuan and Tiger Den trying to suck from the teet of the mainstream demographic.

5. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

My favorites are Arco Seafood and Fung's Kitchen. Also I like Peking Cuisine on 59 and Gessner.

6. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Yao'so Restaurant. Have you all no loyalty?

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

My wife lived in China for a couple of years and loves authentic Chinese food. Her favorite place in Texas is Asia Cafe in Austin. We haven't found a place in Houston yet for chinese food, other than Honk Kong Dim Sum on Bellaire. We live in Victoria so we don't have a lot of time to explore. Any suggestions for a hole in the wall with killer mapo doufu, either near downtown or the Southwest side?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ShaqFu says Nihao!

9. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Most Authentic chinese places are over on Bellaire between Bltway 8 and Ranchester. These places below have good food and horrible services, so lower the service expectations haha.

Good Chinese Restaurants in Htown

Confucius - 2 Lobsters for $18; Great Seafood, Peking Duck, etc
    Sinh Sinh - Great Chinese/Viet Food - Awesome ASIAN BBQ like roasted pork, crispy duck, and steam chicken
    Fung Kitchen - Awesome food especially the exotic chinese food from the HK/China.
    Mala Sichuan - its good. I think ya overrated this place.
    HK Street - Authentic HK style food.
    Arco - Awesome seafood
    Regal Seafood House (By Fountains) - Very good seafood and exotic chinese foods - ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE CHINESE PLACE IN HTOWN due to their authentic and exotic selections.
    East Wall
    Kim Son Dim Sum Bellaire & Fountains
    FuFu
    Hai Ceng
    etc

American Chinese Places that arent really good unless you want a heart burn:

Panda Express
    PF Chang
    Pei Wei
    Something "WOK"
    Most little shops outside of chinatown that serves General Tso Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken, Fried Cream Crab Puffs, Kung Pao, Lobster Sauce, Egg Rolls, Egg Drop and Hot & Sour Soup.

In China and HK, my relatives never heard of General Tso Chicken.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. agslai

Also most of these places are VERY DIRTY

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Which is why I dropped Qin. Clean + great service.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You want to be authentic right.

Actually American Chinese food doesn't taste like Chinese Chinese food. I much prefer the American version. Actual Chinese food is quite bland.

13. agslai

Really? Where did you do?

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Then you didn't go to a real chinese place or a decent one. Even a decent authentic chinese place has food that is far from being bland.

15. agslai

What did u order?

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Peking Cuisine off of 59S. My in-laws are from Beijing and they say it's legit.

The Red Pepper chicken is to die for.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A bunch of places in Beijing. Fried rice there is like rice with some egg on it.

18. agslai

Different regions in China/HK have different types of food. hahah people in China don't eat fried rice.

Fried rice to an asians means leftover rice for the past 2-3 days that the restaurant cant get rid of, so they put a variety types of soy sauce to disguise the old rice and stir fry the rice to your liking.

Most of the rice you get at all Chinese/American Chinese are crappy rice. Asian markets sell rice imported from thailand that is really good. Broken viet rice is really good too.

I think you should try some of the places I suggested and let us know what you think.

19. hvic

hvic Member

East Wall hands down the best Ma Po Tofu in Houston. Also when you are there try there eggplant with garlic sauce in a clay pot

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

The duck there is the ****