1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Future PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, May 29, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Also gloryfying Dmo without seeing him play in an extremely physical playoff game or series where you don't get touch calls down low and you have to grab rebounds is a completely different game compared to the regular season. I like the kids game but when the rockets rebound well they win and don't forget that.

2. jump shooter

And how many boards did he grab?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So even using per 36, which is questionable because guys can't keep up productivity over more minutes, dmo is way worse.

That said, dmo is an important piece for next year. He should probably start.

Also on Kevin Love, you're ignoring his numbers were the worst of his career because of the role he was forced to play.

Also on rim protection, dmo didn't actually contest many shots. That statistic didn't include % of shots challenged, where dmo was low

4. rockets13champs

Eye want kevin love

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Assuming the cap is at 90 million, the Rockets could look something like this...

$28 - Howard (less than the max for him, but I think he would do this for us. He may even go lower if we use the difference to resign Josh Smith and give Dwight a 5th year)
    $27 - Durant (max contract)
    $16.8 - Harden
    $5.7 - DMo (His cap hold...can be signed up to his max after Durant signs)
    $4.5 - Llull
    $2.0 - McDaniels (estimated)
    $1.3 - Capela
    $1.3 - 2015 1st Round Pick (Looney I hope)
    $0.9 - Johnson
    $0.9 - 2015 2nd Round pick
    $0.7 - Cap hold
    $0.7 - Cap hold

$89.8 Total

Then sign Gentile to the BAE, and DMo to whatever we need to.

Llull / Johnson
    Harden / McDaniels
    Durant / Gentile
    DMo / Looney
    Howard / Capela

Plus the NYK 2nd and a couple of vet minimums. We may not even pay the luxury tax (at least this year).

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

How many boards did Josh Smith or Terrence Jones grab during the playoffs?

How many boards does Marc Gasol regularly grab? How many did Horford grab this year?

The rebounding thing is the only counter point you ever have. We get it. Luckily, Dwight Howard grabs 14-20 rebounds regularly during the playoffs so it's not a big deal to have a PF that is deficient at rebounding.

D-Mo isn't a better option than Aldridge or Love. But he's already here and we don't have to give up valuable pieces (i.e. Ariza) to get him. In addition, he's shown he can play within the flow of the game our team plays and be a go-to player when necessary.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you leave out October and November (before he really broke into the rotation), he averaged about 30 minutes per and had better numbers.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't like KLove because his defense is worse than TJones. Great option off the bench, but not a great starter.

9. HTine

HTine Member

LMA is that guy. But no need to pay him a ton of $. DMO is young and still has potential to fill out. If anything he just needs to keep getting minutes to get his wind. And get stronger/more explosive.

As far as back to basket game. He's lightyears ahead of ANYONE on the roster. We need to keep him based on that alone. It's not even close in strictly back to basket game. He's also a really solid passer. We should draw more plays that have the lob to Dwight option from the 4 with both him and Josh in the game

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree that per 36 is flawed.

One major different between TJones and DMo is that DMo creates a significant amount of his own points in the paint. TJones is heavily reliant on someone else to create for him.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

No, but when you consider their pay, style, fit,age, etc....they aren't as far apart as you'd think.

In a few years, I think there will be a legit argument about whether DMo or Love is better.

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

No, going after two expensive PFs we don't REALLY need when we have the perfect PF on our team already is dumb.

DMo was great with the hook, among the top if not the top % wise with the hook shot in the post, and arguably the 2nd most important scorer in some stretches of the season. Later on in the season before he got injured he was hot from the 3 point line.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Thats a championship team. Problem is cyber said llull doesnt want to come over.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Love might be a top 10 player.

Are you saying D-Mo has that sort of ceiling?

15. Zarriko

Zarriko Member

Since we are talking about DMo. These videos below reminded me of how good he is in the post. The post game would have been a huge help in the playoffs. Anyhow, after watching these videos it was a cool reminder that he's also a good passer, has good hands (better than TJones and his butterfingers in the playoffs), and is good on the fast break. I'm looking forward to watching him develop even more. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JrmjdOPuWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpUCAVQoJY

16. jump shooter

Dudewah this is all regular season your talking bout when it comes to DMO, I get that but when it turns into a man's game in the playoffs and the game gets 3-5 times more physical and intense and the opposing team studies over tapes of all your little hook moves in the angles a player likes it becomes a different game entirely. When the rockets rebound they win games period.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What percentage do they create each? I agree with you, but just not certain that the difference is massively significant

Would be interested to know... Jones is certainly better at presenting himself off the ball (ie, has more instinct for finding the right spot). Can he learn to score more in the post, or improve off the drive from the perimeter? I think his ceiling is higher as a scorer, Motie has a career high 26, Jones 36.

ONE of them has to blossom this coming season (if not both!) - really PG is the position of need IMHO.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not sure Love is close to the top 10:

Harden
    Curry
    LeBron
    CP3
    Brow
    Westbrook
    Durant
    Kyrie
    Dwight
    Lamarcus
    Bosh
    George
    Thompson
    Griffin
    Leonard
    Pau Gasol
    Marc Gasol
    Noah
    Wall

I think all of these guys are better than Love, so if you're asking if I think DMo can be a top 30 player in a few years....the answer is I think he can get close.

19. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Love I don't care for. I may want D mo and his upside over him..

But Aldridge is miles better than Dmo and a perfect fit for us

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

In some ways I agree on LMA, but consider the cost.