1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Don't play with my heart like dis

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's going to take a magical benefactor to make this happen, but my god, what a match made in heaven.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Hopefully, the Big 12 no-championship-game debacle will force them (B12) into choosing a few more teams...which will start dominoes falling and finally get the PAC12 to give the awaited call over to Cullen.

Dolan pls!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Talk about underwhelming.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What were you expecting?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

3 guys formerly on staff, a special teams coordinator, Dino Babers & ... Tom Herman.

Keep Levine :rolleyes:

Guess the program is as dead as SMU!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Assuming Leach is a pipedream, y'all should putt the full court on Muschamp. He can recruit, he'd stay awhile and defense will get you somewhere in that conference. Spavital would be a terrible hire if he's being considered. Meachem? Meh.

If Leach actually wants to leave a power 5 conference then I'm not sure he even cares about coaching anymore.

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

I don't know the context behind the tweet, but this is the kind of stuff that is really making me disappointed with the Mack Rhodes regime. Just a lack of care and respect...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I love finding out on Twitter.... </p>&mdash; John O'Korn (@JohnOKorn) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnOKorn/status/541991086403485696">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston AD Mack Rhoades: &quot;(Levine) has left the program in a better situation than it was when he inherited it.&quot; From near-BCS to 7-5? Hmmm</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/541992000195547136">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

#1329 J.R., Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

O'Korn also changed his avatar to a non-UH uni pic. Sense that he's leaving

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

There's no doubt that his performance was pretty poor this year. But, I also feel bad for the guy. He didn't get the coaching support that he really needed. How many offensive coordinators did he have in his two years here?

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As of right now <a href="https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB">@UHCougarFB</a> players have not been told of the coaching change.</p>&mdash; Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/541997216403947522">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Feel like it's classless that Rhodes is in the press commenting on this before they have a chance to talk to the players. It just feels like the players, who make a four year commitment to a school get the short end of the stick when it comes to the coaching carousel.

Again, don't have the full context behind this, it could mean that the info got leaked out before they had a chance to gather players.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

When you think about the logistics, it's pretty much impossible to inform the players before word gets out.

They played an (away) game Saturday afternoon.

They hop a flight back that night.

Sunday the AD convenes with his counsel about the job, schedules meeting with coach.

Monday AM meeting with the coach, where he was fired.

You can't keep that stuff under lock and key until a players-only meeting is held.

The best you can really do is hope to tell the coach before it leaks.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

No one cares... Greg Ward will the Starting QB for the next 4 years for UH. He's our future.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Greg Ward was basically Travis Bush throwing in the towel on being able to run an offense.

John O'Korn is very talented and could be NFL caliber with the right coaching.

Same for his successor, Ben Hicks.

If O'Korn leaves, I'll be upset, but I'll be even more upset if Ward is under center.

He's exciting, but he'll never run the offense the way we all know it needs to run.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree with you. UH has to get this right, this time. As to OKorn, I don't understand what happened to him. He looked lost in the offense. Was it him or the offense? Maybe both.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Doesn't he only have 2 more years of eligibility?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Spoke to Leach. Has no idea where the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Houston?src=hash">#Houston</a> rumor started: &quot;I'm very happy at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WashingtonState?src=hash">#WashingtonState</a> &amp; I plan on being there for a long time.&quot;</p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/542076747173621760">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

http://footballscoop.com/news/footballscoop-update-tulsa-houston-kansas/

Doug Meacham didn't really have a wonderful experience at Houston last year. I'm not saying he won't be the next head coach, I'm just saying a lot of people have said tap your breaks a little on that one. The way that went down, the way he left, it didn't leave a great taste in his mouth. Doug Meacham logically is a candidate. I just don't know he's that massive front-runner everyone thinks he is. A lot of people in the coaching profession think Tom Herman is the right fit for this job. Everything I've heard is this is gonna be a rising coordinator, maybe someone who has been a head coach before. It's gonna be an offensive hire. They want someone with more of an outward personality. Think back to Briles & Sumlin, these are guys who own the room when they walk in. Tony is a good football coach but more inward. They're looking to get back to where they were. Offensive, score a lot of points. They have the new stadium. They need someone who knows that place. Herman from his time at Rice knows Houston. Philip Montgomery knows Houston pretty well. Those guys are logical. There has been significant interest. You'll see an offensive guy, someone who can take Houston football to the next level.

Something you might see at Houston (like at Kansas with David Beaty), Beaty gets hired and doesn't sign that huge contract. Beaty comes in and his base is 800K, with a lot of incentives. He needed more money for the staff than he felt he needed for himself. You might see some of that too. I wouldn't be surprised if [Gibbs] is retained. It can't be a one or two man show.

#1338 J.R., Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  19. Poloshirtbandit

Yes. He'll be a Jr next season.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

All of this makes me has a sad.

I kind of figured Meacham didn't leave on the best of terms.

He did quite well for himself here considering the circumstances.