1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ode to Pat Bev from Zach Lowe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mirri3000, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Another fantastic overall thread from Zac Lowe.

http://grantland.com/features/the-post-deadline-nba/

This little tid-bit ode to Pat Bev

9. The Patrick Beverley Experience

Apologies to everyone in Oklahoma City, but watching this guy play lately has been electric. He’s a one-man press capable of pickpockets anywhere on the court, he’s maybe too confident in his ability to go chest-to-chest on defense without fouling, and he’s been knocking down his 3s over the last couple weeks.

That part of his game has been a bit of a disappointment. He’s shooting only 34.7 percent from 3-point range, slightly below the league’s average, and a very disappointing 32.9 percent on the easier corner 3s. But he’s hit at least half his 3s in six of his last 10 games. He won’t keep that up, but if he hones his 3-point shot into a slightly finer weapon, the Rockets have a very dangerous player.

I value Lowe's writing, and he is spot on again with Bev. The no-stats All-Star comes again to Houston.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons are probably the two most knowledgeable sports writers out there today. I just don't understand how he is so spot-on with his evaluations when there's so many players to watch on such little time.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Zach Lowe is great. I respectively disagree with Bill Simmons, that guy is a pure idiot who knows nothing about the X's & O's of basketball.

4. FeaR

FeaR Member

You are right ... Zach Lowe is watching every game ... Most sportswriters are always the same.(Rockets bad defense,Harden atrocious defense, parsons is a good defender,Rockets are a heavy 3point shoot team...)

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Simmons is no idiot, but he is more like a late night talk show host than an analyst. He says silly things and makes jokes. If you read between the lines, it's obvious he understands which players are good and which ones aren't. He is the one who hired Zach Lowe, after all. He just likes to troll, because he knows it will get a laugh.

Lowe is the best NBA analyst at the moment. I used to follow him on CNNSI and was sad when he left The Point Forward, as I thought this just meant he was out of a job. But his Grantland work has actually been 10 times better.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

agreed and agreed

they should have never put that dude on TV

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

No way, Simmons carries those broadcasts lol. He is knowledgeable, he plays to his homerism a lot, but he understands how to make it enjoyable for the guys to watch.

8. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Anybody who is bashing Simmons. Have you read his book? Its PHENOMENAL. If you like basketball, it's such a great read. He knows his stuff, he may just not portray it the best way on TV.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I have read his book and yes, it is fantastic. Simmons is a brilliant writer and an ultimate fan of the game. He's a dearth of knowledge when it comes to NBA trivia and all the nitty gritty of NBA history.

HOWEVER, he severely lacks in a technical sense on the game of basketball (basketball analytics, the X's and O's, and how the salary cap works, etc), simply because he doesn't have experience or knowledge in that matter. This isn't necessarily a knock on his credibility, you go to Simmons for fan perspective and entertainment. Basketball analyst, he is not.

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Agreed on Zach Lowe, he takes time to write great articles and he is usually spot on in his analysis of teams and players.

11. SevenMinuteAbs

Ha i love simmons and he is most definitely not an idiot. His whole thing is supposed to be sports from a biased fan's perspective. Personally i appreciate the honesty that isn't often seen in sports journalism today.

12. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Sometimes it's not about the X's and O's but the Jims and Joes!!!!

[​IMG]

13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I'm going to assume you meant something along the lines of the complete opposite of the bolded...lol.

That being said, I really like Simmons and Lowe. Simmons gets a lot of hate, like a love-hate relationship because I think his personality caters toward certain people. Yes, some things he isn't the best analyst for, but overall, I agree a LOT with his assessments/overall conclusions, and I think I'm a smart guy, so it makes him more credible in my eyes :p

14. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I find Simmons to be very entertaining and I agree that he is knowledgeable based on The Book Of Basketball, but lately he's been saying so much stuff that just has me scratching my head. And it seems like he's been a Rockets hater this season when I've had time to listen to him and Jalen's podcast.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

He watches almost EVERY game.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Bev will make that leap next season. He'll work on that 3pt shot in the summer. As for this season, I'm really enjoying having both Bev and Lin on the team. Great combo.

17. JeffGreen

JeffGreen Member

LOL when Bev shoot worse than league average he is praised as a All-Star, When Lin does better, he is labeled as a scrub. Quit calling Lin 'inconsistent' when you can't even uphold consistencies in your argument.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

tonight is a test for him, against CP3

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This is exactly the problem with these douches, Noone said anything about Lin

20. makio9

makio9 Member

With or without a Honed 3 point shot, he still isn't a fantastic playmaker that makes amazing things happen offensively. Can't ever see him being an All-Star. I'm a huge P Bev fan, though!