1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Smart loses his mind in Lubbock and shoves a fan.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>KD said fans can cross the line: &quot;If you wouldn't say that when walking down the street, then you should just keep it to yourself.&quot;</p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/statuses/432623918952632320">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Durant on Smart criticism: &quot;It's easy for you guys to judge him because you never been in that situation.&quot;</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/statuses/432623700144168960">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Durant on Smart's reaction: &quot;I'm not sure I would have reacted any different.&quot;</p>&mdash; Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry/statuses/432623375727349760">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kevin Durant called Marcus Smart a &quot;good kid&quot;. Said he'd learn from it: &quot;Hopefully everyone can move past it&quot;</p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/statuses/432623356056064000">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Uhh what? Up to that point dude nobody was saying Lubbock is racist, they were just saying its a craphole LOL

The fact that this issue may tarnish his career or have GM's label his a nuthead is absolutely rediculous

I in no way agree with Smart pushing the old racist man, but I completely understand his actions and he should be apologetic to his teammates for losing his cool, but not to the old racist man.

I remember when i was 15 and we were on a school camp, and this fat white kid was incessantly just yelling racist/vuglar things to this korean kid (im eurasian but look white), stuff as bad as this, "fk off gook, go back to china or whereever the fk you're from" and non of the camp leaders did ****, so I blew a gasket and went full MMA style, it was some insane white hot rage, i can't even describe the feeling, if it was just us two in a cage I probably would've ended him. I totally empathise with Smart on this situation.

People say dumb ****, and its a pity that he's gonna be tarnished because he has the balls to stand up for his culture

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Apologies. That's what they both deserve from each other, and then we can just move on to the next attention grabbing sports news.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

if anything, smart is gonna benefit greatly from this because he'll learn that people with insults and haterism, especially racial epithets are peons and he is above them.

it will elevate his mental

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Please, white guys, more lectures for black people about racism!

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I can't believe we're on page 7 and nobody has mentioned the fact that Jeremy Lin was frequently hit with racial epithets in college, but never shoved anyone.

*ducks*

1 person likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Oklahoma State G Marcus Smart to be suspended for 3 games following altercation with fan Saturday night. (via <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN">@GoodmanESPN</a>)</p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/statuses/432649915378847745">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcus Smart: &quot;No fingers pointed, this is all on me.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianHamiltonSI/statuses/432650491902713856">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Smart: &quot;I truly apologize. This is not me. I take responsibility and the consequences that come with it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jeff Eisenberg (@JeffEisenberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/statuses/432650549251420160">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Travis Ford: &quot;Marcus made a big mistake last night. He knows that.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) <a href="https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/statuses/432650740738179072">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Travis Ford: &quot;He made a mistake, a mistake he’s going to pay for, and not just in a three-game suspension.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianHamiltonSI/statuses/432650960502927360">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcus Smart's first game back? Home tilt against...Texas Tech, on Feb. 22.</p>&mdash; Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianHamiltonSI/statuses/432651165403058176">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

http://www.texastech.com/genrel/020914aab.html

Video Obtained From Last Night's Incident

In conjunction with a review of the actions of Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart by the Big 12 Conference, Texas Tech has completed its own thorough investigation regarding the incident at last night's basketball game involving Red Raider fan Jeff Orr. Texas Tech interviewed Mr. Orr along with numerous fans, photographers and arena personnel that were seated in the area surrounding him. Mr. Orr vehemently denied the accusation that he used a racial slur and no one in the vicinity of Mr. Orr heard such a slur.

Mr. Orr has admitted to directing an inappropriate phrase toward Marcus Smart. Texas Tech has been able to verify that statement independently through video provided by Texas Tech Sports Broadcasting. At no point on the film can a racial slur be heard.

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.

As a result of this incident, Mr. Orr has voluntarily agreed to not attend a Texas Tech home or away basketball game for the remainder of the season.

Jeff Orr Statement

"I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men's Basketball program. My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech - a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a "piece of crap" but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created."​

#127 J.R., Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

thats because its okay to be racist to asians

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Sometimes acting like an a hole gets you shoved. Hopefully the idiot won't be allowed back at games for a while.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Cool man. I was on a bit of a witch hunt trying to defend my school. Apologize for incorrectly asserting you intentions.

By the way, Tech and Orr just issued this release:

In conjunction with a review of the actions of Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart by the Big 12 Conference, Texas Tech has completed its own thorough investigation regarding the incident at last night's basketball game involving Red Raider fan Jeff Orr. Texas Tech interviewed Mr. Orr along with numerous fans, photographers and arena personnel that were seated in the area surrounding him. Mr. Orr vehemently denied the accusation that he used a racial slur and no one in the vicinity of Mr. Orr heard such a slur.

Mr. Orr has admitted to directing an inappropriate phrase toward Marcus Smart. Texas Tech has been able to verify that statement independently through video provided by Texas Tech Sports Broadcasting. At no point on the film can a racial slur be heard.

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.

As a result of this incident, Mr. Orr has voluntarily agreed to not attend a Texas Tech home or away basketball game for the remainder of the season.

Jeff Orr Statement

"I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men's Basketball program. My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech - a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a "piece of crap" but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created."

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Who cares??

The world is too sensitive. If he punched him, that would have been big news, but he didnt.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Haha. JR is such a machine. Was sure I'd be the first to post that.

13. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Lol I find it funny how everyone on here is so sure he dropped the N bomb or a racial slur, when nobody has really any idea what he said, and they're just going off random **** said on twitter. I'm pretty sure if he used the N bomb or dropped a racial slur, someone else near him would have something to say about it besides Smart, and someone else would have heard it as well.

Regardless, I think the suspension to Smart and Orr not attending any more games for the season is a fair resolution.

14. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Schools are now releasing statements from superfans

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

So a good question here might be: why did everyone initially assume that what Orr said was racist? Was it really that Smart told someone it was, or did people just assume it must be racist because it was an older white man and a young black man? Sounds awfully "racist" to assume that. And where did that ridiculous "go back to Africa" rumor come from?

16. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Supposedly someone could read Marcus Smart's lips and saw him saying "he called me the N word."

Eric Rosenthal spread the "go back to africa" rumor.

17. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Initially most were wondering what was said. Then a report from a local news station put out the "go back to Africa" thing. I believe someone that was at the game said he heard the n word. It's reasonable to think that an athlete who hears all kinds of things reacted to something pretty bad. If there's audio, we'll find out soon enough what he said

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Wait, so now that the fat billy and his fat billy friends denied it, it's set in stone that he didn't say it? And Texas Tech would obviously want to deny it as well for their own reputation. Of course they couldn't HEAR it on any videos lol. I'm not saying that it happened for sure, either, but it's awfully convenient of you to just buy whatever TT/Orr is selling.

19. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Just looked it up, the radio analyst heard Smart saying the guy used the n word.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Also, 'piece of crap' quite a step up from 'overated' and 'sorry about that' lmfao.