1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which players style of play does Lin remind you of?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Dec 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Jesus H Christ!! Give the man some props for crying out loud! Alright 20 games. You happy?! Jeez Louise..

2. mclawson

mclawson Member

Matt Maloney.

3. PeppermintCandy

I can see the Rafer comparison, even though there are distinct differences. Lin has a better shot and finish, worse ball-handling skills and more speed.

But both have a streaky quality to their play. And Rafer was actually quite good at managing the clock and distributing the ball. I'd be happy to see Lin get to that level.

Overall, on a championship team, both are solid role playing PGs, with Lin having more upside.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

How many games does a season have?

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Are you Rafer comparison people serious? Lin is comparable to a street baller? Seriously? Really??? C'Mon Man!

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I don't care what anyone says Lin is, but Rafer Alston is asi-nine, asi-ten, asi-eleven... this should put it to rest... the Miami Heat could win the title with Jeremy Lin at PG... not with Rafer Alston... and Jeremy is clearly also better than Mario Chalmers.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ball handling skills of Chris Paul, defense of Gary Payton, passing of Pete Maravich, leadership of Isiah Thomas, savvy of Jason Kidd, jumper of Steve Nash, style and charisma of Magic Johnson.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

While you're at it, don't forget the horse-**** of Greg Smith.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

And the mental toughness of Royce White.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

+ parkers inside game, sam cassell's midrange game, and millers 3 point range

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

What is your point? And why do you have to be snobbish and condescending? He had as many starts as Dragic did last season and just like Goran, he showed the world what his potential could be. If you want to dismiss that as a fluke that anyone could have done, fine.

And get out of here with that "how many games" bs. You and I both know that even had he played all last season, you'd still be here saying the same thing. And I vice versa.

Speaking of which, how many games do you exactly have to see before you see promise? I guess there's no point in having scouts then. I guess 25 or so meaningful NBA games count less than 10 college games when the name is Kyrie. I guess anyone could do what he did, they just chose not to. I guess it was all a matter of luck and nobody knew how to guard him without a playbook. Have you never seen some cat in the gym night in night out tearing it up and thought "hey, that dude can play?" or do you always reserve judgement until he has at least 1 year of games under his belt.

Btw, didn't he just score 38 against San Antonio, and have a string of excellent games recently? This year? Coming off of an injury? How many times does he have to show you potential for you to believe that he could be good? Are you telling me that I can't say I like Lilliard or Kyrie last year cuz of sample size? Can I not say that Kyrie or Lilliard's gonna be an all-star one day? Well, let me guess. That's a different story, right? Give the man some props and back the hell up buddy.

#171 raskol, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at the anger of LOF fans

13. PeppermintCandy

I never went for the hate Rafer got as a Rocket. Sure he had his limitations, and was an extremely streaky shooter, but the guy still brought a lot of positives and played his ass off.

One more thing to add to the Lin comparison, Alston played better defense, which was why he got the PT under Van Gundy. Though no doubt Lin will improve as a defender.

14. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

You guys are SOOO funny comparing Lin with Rafer. I mean, are you serious? His dribbles are fancy, almost like Rubio, but come on, Lin's control of the offense is literally like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in football. Whenever he's out, while Harden is in, the other team comes back. Don't get me wrong, I like Harden, he's a great guy, efficient scorer, can go one on one and reliable shooting the 3 when he's open. But if you look at it, Harden scores 20 something points. Last time I saw, Rockets were scoring 120 something points. That means the Rockets offense is scoring in the mid to high 90s, or even in the low 100s without Harden's points. Lin has maybe 12-16 points out of 120, but he controls the tempo, leads the fast breaks, and usually when he leads the breaks, they score. Can you imagine TD running down the court dribbling? It's like an accident about to happen. I never remember Rafer doing any of those. Sometimes Lin does not get the assist in the fast break, but you guys are looking at ONLY stat sheets. Come on! Open your eyes. We're not the number one offense without a quarterback. Lin is our quarterback. Rafer Alston was a lousy quarterback. Brings the ball up the court with pretty dribbles and that was it! Come on!

15. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

LOL, Alston played better defense? Then we have watched different Rockets games.

<

16. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Not true. TD has very low turnovers and yet he moves the ball quickly.

17. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

LOL at "Lol at the anger of LOF fans"

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is why people LOL at LOFs. It's a different sport, I know, but Brady and Manning are two all-time greats in their sport. Is Lin one of the all time greatest basketball players?

[​IMG]

19. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Too short of a time to say. But tell me, would getting another 12 ppg guy and replace Lin, would the Rockets score 120 points in the last few games? Would anyone bet, and pull the trigger to cut Lin for another 12 ppg player and the Rockets would still be on a roll?

20. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

BTW, I noticed you highlight ONE sentence that I said. Would you also aknowledge the many runs the opposing team has when Lin sits? Like in San Antonio, like in Phillie, like in Atlanta, like in OKC? Where is the stat sheet that says that? Is that even important for you LOHs? I noticed you guys speaking condescendingly about Lin, comparing him to Rafer. Do you guys honestly think that getting another 12 PPG guy would get the Rockets to score 120 something points the last 6 or 7 games where Lin has control?