1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I still can't believe that the Big 10 gets one of their teams(other than Ohio State) in a BCS game this year. Right now, Experts are picking Bama to be in the Cotton bowl, Capital one bowl or Outback bowl....I wouldn't mind the Cotton bowl, but If Bama had to play another Big10 team, even Michigain again, it would not be pretty.

But by picking us to be in those bowls games that means they think that Georgia will win. Hopefully not, time will tell. I would like to play either Notre Dame, Oregon or KSU.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Besides Dawg partisans, nobody in their right mind would pick Georgia over Alabama in the SEC championship game. They have too many injuries, Aaron Murray is too shaky and their defense just isn't good enough. Alabama is almost a BCS lock.

Are these "experts" thinking Saban's players are burning out after being so amped up and focused the first 9-10 games?

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

How about a Texas A&M/Texas Cotton Bowl? If Texas keeps winning.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A highly likely scenario. It'd be cool, obviously, but I'd rather play a better team to be honest. I want to finish the year ranked as high as possible.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd be down with that. But, is there a chance that A&M can aim even higher?? Obviously if there's a shake-up in the lower ranks of the top 10, I'd imagine A&M could sneak into the Fiesta or something like that. A TAMU-UT Cotton Bowl would be fun, though.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sumlin should put all his cards in. Pretend to not take UT seriously, let Tech boy handle the game until halftime then fly in on a helicopter to start the 3rd. It's not like non-BCS (or even non-title games really) even matter.

Gotta make sure the recruits know who's top dog in Texas.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Last 3 posts are exactly why I regret cheering for the ags last Saturday.

Hilarious. Still the most delusional fan base in modern sports.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

amazon.com/purchase/snark-detector/jabroni.html

9. vj23k

Eh, obviously, (part of) your last post was made tongue-in-cheek, but your first post and Fyreball's response seem genuine and are pretty much in line with what I've heard from aggie buddies all week.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, man. An A&M/UT Cotton Bowl would be amazing. Bragging rights for....well, who knows how long.

Still can't believe there's no UT/A&M game on Thanksgiving. It would have been a helluva game this year...

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I'm not sure what is wrong with the first 2 comments. It sounds like Ziggy and Fyreball want to play a higher ranked opponent/higher profile bowl game so if A&M wins, there will be more respect on the national level. What is wrong with that?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Close call with LSU... torch the Bulldogs on the road to a huge crowd... knockoff Bama on national television while UT plays... Iowa State? Crickets chirp. It's good to be in the SEC.

Seriously though, what happens if UT knocks off KState?

13. vj23k

Nothing inherently wrong with it...Just think it's a little funny that playing a team that has historically owned them, has a strong track record in bowl games, has the same record as them, and, oh, THAT THEY CONSIDERED THEIR BIGGEST RIVAL is beneath them.

14. chestr

chestr Member

The point of the conference move was for A&M to make a name for itself outside of UT's shadow. Although people on both sides are reveling in the idea of the two playing again, A&M really ought to be hoping to play other national entities in their bowl game for more exposure.

The only reason I see A&M wanting to play UT in the Cotton would be in hopes of reinforcing the power shift in Texas for recruits, and to prove that this year's team is not the same as the one in the B12 last year that just happened to strike gold in a weak SEC. Losing would be a big blow in those 2 regards.

I'd rather A&M continue to ride its wave of national popularity and let UT keep scoreboard.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Both UT and A&M would have a lot to lose in a head-to-head matchup with little to gain aside from ticket sales and media attention. As far as program stability, a loss would hurt either school more so than it would help the winner.

TAMU is way better than UT this year though, I do actually believe that, but they could obviously win, its sports, and its a rivalry game.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Did I accidentally type something about how A&M historically owns the Longhorns, and that Bevo licks Reveille's morning crust out of her eyes or something?? Where does history, bowl records, and even season record play any part in what I posted?? I simply stated that, while I think a UT-TAMU Cotton Bowl would be fun, the Aggies are in a prime position to aim EVEN HIGHER than that. Basically, because the Longhorns are more relevant on a national scale, have the same record as us, and WERE our rival, I should feel lucky that the Longhorns are willing to grace us with their presence in the Cotton Bowl?? I want my team in the highest BCS Bowl that is still within the realm of possibilities. It's called being a fan.

Also, here's a couple of links to help ensure you that I'm not the one who thinks the Aggies are above the Longhorns:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

With all that being said though, I'm still rooting for the Longhorns to oust K-State. Not so much because I think it will help the Aggies, but because some people just like to watch the world burn. Gig 'em.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: Johnson has been found safe.

WR Thomas Johnson has gone missing & not seen since Monday evening.

#1298 J.R., Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. vj23k

I didn't really say a lot of that, either. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best for your team...just noticed that ags tend to jump to visions of grandeur pretty quickly. Maybe your post wasn't really a good example of that, but it was how I read it at the time.

Anyway, kind of back to topic.

Honestly, won't it take some pretty favorable bounces just to make the Cotton Bowl? I was under the impression that it was Big 12 #2 vs. SEC #3. Alabama likely finishes with one loss, and LSU/Florida both own your tiebreakers.

20. Major

Major Member

Outside of BCS games, the "rank" is not based on order of finish, but order of attractiveness. So SEC #3 means that the Cotton Bowl would get the 3rd choice of teams - they can pick whomever they want. A couple of other things - everyone gets bumped down one because the BCS will take 2 SEC teams. And I believe the Cotton Bowl and Cap One bowl kind of split 3 & 4, working with the SEC to try to get attractive matchups and attendance for each.

Assuming they win out, BCS or Cotton Bowl seem like the most likely destinations for A&M.