1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest on 2008-09 Rockets: "We had an amazing team."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1sS8o_Blsxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1sS8o_Blsxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 1:09 i was there.. we were winning until... Joey Crawford took over

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Artest wouldn't have had to chuck shots with T-Mac,Yao, Scola, and Brooks.

Yeah, all fo the stars were aligned that year. We would have shut down Melo easily, and the Orlando series would go our way, considering how well Yao played against Howard. Funny how similar it would have been to our last championship, against the Magic, the top center in the league going against an up and coming but still unpolished center.

Funny story actually, I remember the day we got Artest. I was going into 8th grade, and I had just been told I didn't need to wear glasses. My braces had come off the previous year, and I was convinced I could easily pick up some high school chicks (I was pretty cocky). Likewise, I remember comparing our roster to all the others, convinced we could beat anybody but Boston. It was going to be great, I'd have a hot girlfriend and the Rockets would be winning championships.

Instead, here we are 3 years later. I'm still single, and the Rockets haven't made the playoffs since. :(

3. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

We would have beaten Denver even without Yao and Tmac. Orlando would have been a difficult task without Yao though

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Arg so many weapons! Didn't even see Landry in there, did he play that game?

There was also a truehoop article that described the quarter by quarter defensive adjustments that Artest/Battier put on Lebron.

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

What? Chuck Hayes woulda handled Dwight

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dwight vs Yao - Mutombo - Hayes.... mwahahaha. Team kryptonite for sure.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto." -- Ron Artest, July '08

[​IMG]

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

I didn't realize how good we had it that year :(

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I hear ya, Clutch... and no disrespect intended, but what I'm sayin is it hasnt even been 3 complete seasons since we had THAT team on the floor. A very impressive team, I might add. Therefor, I think 'treadmill of mediocrity' talk and questioning Morey's ability to rebuild without tanking is highly premature.
    Realistically, I would say we're a top pf away from being legitimate contenders... If we packaged Scola/Kmart/pick(s) and got a Josh Smith level player, brought over DMo, and retained Dragic and CLee... we're a championship caliber team... and that's all within a few years of losing both our superstars and without suffering through dismal bottom dweller seasons...

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Wasn't it a 4 big rotation with either Deke or Chuck (depending on who was healthy) being the other?

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Deke only played 9 games that season, Hayes 71. Hayes averaged only 12 minutes a game, and sometimes no minutes at all in some games. He was never properly part of the rotation, until the playoffs when Yao went down.

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

considering we traded francis for mcgrady i think i'm not sure we would have him as PG. Correct me if I am wrong.

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

how sincere is Ron... I loved that guy.

you can clearly tell how special the team was, coming from a no-bs guy like Ron.

didn't understand why we didn't keep him.

14. Relentless

Relentless Member

Thinking back to that year hurts man. Seriously.

Such a great group of guys. Tears were shed, and I get this weird feeling in my chest when I remember back then. SMH

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

No Rockets fan should be forced to relive this. :(

16. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Great team team team team
    injuries...injuries...injuries...

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

18. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

I just cannot watch any reminisce games with Yao on our team anymore, makes me want to cry.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

my favorite rockets year in the last decade. loved that team..we played so hard and were considered one of the toughest teams in the league. ron (pre-decline), battier, deke, landry.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I was sure that if that team stayed healthy we would have won the title. So much depth, it had everything, offense and defense, low-post presence and a star wing player.

There is nothing that I would have wanted really personnel wise that year, we had everything. Only thing holding us back was the injuries.