1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola is trending up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amidst all the rumors, Scola has upped his game and is getting stronger as the year goes on. Most of us thought Luis wouldn't be a Rocket after the deadline, but here he is. ( I thought he should have been dealt after the WC) Yes, Les has wanted to stay competitive. At this rate though, Scola will really put some value back into that contact.(hopefully this will rub off on Martin) It's going to be interesting having a true 5 on the floor 24-7 after the move for Camby. Scola and the Rockets should flourish with consistent interior defense and rebounding from the center position. He's going to be fresh and free to wreak havoc at his natural spot....

It's refreshing watching guys like Scola nut it up and thrive while others go into a fetal position.(you know who you are)
    Whatever happens, it's been a pleasure. Luis Scola is a consumate pro/proven winner who symbolizes what it's all about....and will ALWAYS be a Rocket to me.

8 people like this.
  2. dartherus

dartherus Member

Totally agree, I warned from the begining that it wasn't an age problem, it was a surgery problem, after the lockout the schedule got too tight, so any player in recovery would have it even harder (something similar happened to 2pat in this very same season, remember).

Anyway, it is a trend that Scola is slowly but steadily returning to his best shape. And with a real C guaranteed 100% of the time (Dally and Camby), his performance in playoff would be even better than last season.

When there is a real C backing him up, his D contribution is better, remember when he played alongside Yao.

3 people like this.
  3. monster

monster Member

With significant defensive help, I think Luis is still a good player in this league. Smart, good shooter....he just can't defend anyone. Put a legit defensive center (and SF) on the court with him, and he's still money. I think LAL would be a great fit for him.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You want to help LA by sending them Scola? No thanks

1 person likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great opening post. I'm a huge fan of Luis, and have been watching him improve the last few weeks, becoming more consistent, more like what we expect from him. I'm very glad we didn't deal Scola, although I'm for anything that actually improves the Rockets. Thanks. I was considering a thread like this, but generally don't start threads, because you can always find one where you can post your take on a topic of interest. This is a good example of that. Kudos!

2 people like this.
  6. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

*clap, clap, clap*

1 person likes this.
  7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Where did he say that? He just said it would be a good fit.

Dalembert and Camby always next to Scola along with Parsons is like a dream come true on the defensive end. I really don't consider Luis nearly as much of a liability as I did before. Just knowing our backup bigs are Camby/Patterson brings a smile to my face. We can really make some noise in the playoffs this year.

1 person likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

10 games post all-star break

33 mpg
    17.2 ppg
    8.1 rpg
    50% fg
    4.8 fta
    2.0 tpg

[not many other stats relevant for Luis]

Certainly picked his game right back up to "normal" - 50% from the field, 8 rebounds and 16-18ppg. I'd be surprised if he deviates much from that the rest of the way.

1 person likes this.
  9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I think the two biggest problems for Scola this year have been trying to play center, which he shouldn't have to do any more now, and the condensed schedule of a lock out year and so many back to backs. I wouldn't have been against trading him in the right deal, but I certainly wasn't looking to dump him for the sake of getting rid of him or much less amnesty him as some posters have suggested.

1 person likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. houseofglass21

Scola is a stud

1 person likes this.
  12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Scola has stepped up his game and is by far my favorite rockets player. We all know about his defensive liabilities but he sure is a joy to watch out there.

1 person likes this.
  13. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah, no one appreciate how much Chuck meant to the other players on this team. Scola didn't regress, he's just not playing with a skilled center.

2 people like this.
  14. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I'am very happy . He is 100% a rocket.
    He is very happy too. He twitter a joke about he isn't the older rocket anymore.;)
    did you see jumping like a child after the Thunders game?
    Scola Forever

2 people like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

In a perfect world, he'd retire a rocket.

Its my belief he might have if Yao hadn't bit the dust.

But because of how things shook out, he's now bait to net us a star.

Sucks, but he deserves to go to a contender and we need to rebuild before too long.

16. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

i do like the guy, but his contract is crazy, he has to prove to us that he isn't on the decline, for Scola's and for the Rockets' Cap Space i hope he isn't.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Aye aye, love Luis Scola. Some of the fools on this site think it's ok to rag on the player that tries his hardest game after game. Fools I tell you.

1 person likes this.
  18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Very well said!

Yao gone, Battier gone, Hayes gone...I honestly have little to root on this team if they traded away Scola. I am glad the management made the right decision.

2 people like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Scola has looked more fluid and less stiff of late. More success on the post moves/scoop shots.

20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

His contract isn`t crazy. Is relative cheap. The only PF who has a cheapper contract is Paul Milsap.
    David Lee is making around 14 million per year the next 4 years
    and Rashard Lewis is making 22 mmillion this season
    and there are so many examples there

Luis has 2 more years guarentee contract for 9,5 and 10 million

Rockets can lives and make moves with that.

And I dont see that in FA is something so great to run for. Howard is gone, Williams will resign for sure with NJ, Paul is gone. Gordon, mayo and Batun are RFA
    So Cap Space to get what? I prefer luis than building castles in the air