1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I know. I was just being a dick. Typical Aggie thing to do.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Maybe I'm just not doing a good job of explaining myself. I'm responding to "A&M will now be able to recruit more stud kids". A&M, similar to UT, mainly get's their kids from Texas. The kids that leave and go to the SEC usually have no issue leaving Texas. I don't think being able to stay in the state and still play in the SEC...to go to College Station...will be that big of an incevtive for these kids that are choosing to leave the state. Most of the time, at least the ones I know, they are kids that want to go somewhere else. These other options are typically more fun places to go to school. These are kids that we are talking about. Staying in College Station isn't really that appealing to going to Baton Rouge, or Gainsville, or other places that are generally considered more fun places to go to college. So I don't think there are that many top extra kids in that extra pool to recruit from (want the SEC but just deadset against leaving the state).

And as far as getting the top kids from the other states, you have to convince them to come to College Station. Is College Station that appealing to get some kid to leave Florida, for example?

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the kids on Texas rosters are Texas kids. It's a blessing that the talent is here, but it's not exactly like wer are considered partyville USA. And if there were one college town like that it would be Austin.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

And on this legislature thing ... If Texas wants to keep the Big XII together and this would elevate another Texas school like UH to a big-boy conference, then wouldn't this be better for the state of Texas?

The only way the legislature stops this is because they are looking out for UT and UT alone.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that or they think having ut and a&m in the same conference is preferable to them not. not everything is a ut conspiracy out to **** over everyone else. cheese and rice aggies, quit the whining already.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:grin:

mosley Matt Mosley
    Keep this in mind, my Aggie pals: There's not a George's Bar in Starkville. You will miss those Big O's!

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmm, or maybe the state would just prefer to have it's top 2 schools in the same conference and keep the history alive, as it's always been?

7. MadMax

i still think it's funny to consider that A&M could spend a whole year signing a fight song about a team it won't ever play.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

UT IS JUST A BIG MEANIE!!! THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION!!!

9. RocketManJosh

Wow ... someone got their visor out of the closet today.

If UT fans don't consider A&M as a rival as so many love to say, why do they care so much about leaving us. UT is acting like the dude that has to go see a psychiatrist after he gets dumped and spends all of his time trying to get that girl back.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketManJosh

Quotes from Dan Branch regarding the Longhorn Network. There is NO DOUBT that A&M moving to the SEC will bring in more revenue and assist us in maximizing our assets and getting a higher return while finding revenues that are not a tax base. The legislature has no business impeding our ability to create value and Dan Branch even said it himself. I guess that only applies to UT.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You do realize that with this analogy, you are effectively rendering the Aggies as Texas former bee-atch? The pissed-off girlfriend?

I guess Texas A&M then should read Eat, Pray, Love as it works through these midlife issues and relishes its newfound freedom ...good luck in the SEC, home of true southern gentlemen...

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

sure did. i gots to accessorize whilst making fun of butt hurt aggy.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

it's like the nba owners - "see how bad we are at owning basketball teams?!?!"

14. RocketManJosh

Texas fans crying until they get what they want and A&M is the butt-hurt ones.

A&M is doing what is best for it and that is it.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

example? nearly every longhorn fan i know thinks the lhn is a pretty stupid idea and i know not a one who has bemoaned the fact that they cannot air high school games after aggy and others complained. so what have ut fans been crying about until they got what they wanted?

16. MadMax

small sample size, but i listened into Chip Brown's show this morning to get a flavor for that. no crying...a lot of, "crap or get off the pot, A&M...and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

17. Major

Major Member

There's a lot more Texas pride than there is Alabama pride. And A&M would be getting a foothold in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc too. You only need 25 kids a year - it's not like they need to steal all the talent out of these states. If they get a handful between all the new states, that's a whole new talent pool they have access to.

18. Major

Major Member

That's just silly. If no Alabama kid is going to be willing to go to College Station, why does anyone think a Texas kid would go to Auburn? :confused:

Texas kids go all over the place - Oregon has gotten top-tier Texas kids to go there. Similarly, Florida kids go all over the place. A Florida kid that likes Ole Miss or Auburn now gets to add A&M to his list if he wants to play the occasional game in Florida. You're looking at this at the macro-level - but recruiting is done at the micro-level. You don't need to convince the whole state to switch their philosophies - you just need to get 2 or 3 kids here and there.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I completely disagree - Texas has a lot more relatively recent transplants, first off, as far as the "pride" factor goes... Second, they basically have to...there's almost not enough major college football programs in Texas to go around for all the athletes.

You simply can't say the same thing about the deep south, with the exception of Florida. And the problem with FLorida is that it's pretty far away from Texas (the single biggest factor in recrutiting, btw).

Texas A&M walking into deep SEC turf and pulling out the kinds of players that national powers with true national profiles have been unable to do for decades? that's simply not a very high probability event....and schools like Florida, Alabama etc are much better equipped to do the reverse for various reasons.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i seriously doubt there are kids from florida who'll say "man, i've always wanted to play at a&m, just never considered it until i found out they'll play in florida exactly once during my four year career there".

with the country shrinking in size due to internet/cable tv/etc., i think the whole recruiting angle is overhyped. how's arkansas recruiting as opposed to a&m currently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.