1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you Agree? - Bomani Jones implies Steph Curry no superstar, 'best system player' ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pringles09, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

OK. So here's what happened.

"This is my metric for (NBA) superstar -- do you have a chance to win a championship just because we got you?" ESPN's Bomani Jones said Thursday on "The Right Time with Bomani Jones" podcast. "We'll work the rest out, but if the first thing you tell me is that this guy plays for us, then we got a chance to do this."

When guest Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports said Curry fits this description, Jones said some stuff that definitely isn't going to sit well with Warriors fans.

Jones: "I feel like even with a healthy Stephen Curry, you gotta put some fairly specific things around him."

Goodwill: "But you got a chance."

Jones: "Yeah, but to have the chance you have to put this fairly specific set of things around him. And he can't guard nobody."

Goodwill: "Even with that, you can win with him in a way that maybe you can't with Damian Lillard (or) Kyrie Irving."

Jones: "If you tell me that you have Kevin Durant, you have a chance to win the championship. If you tell me you have Kawhi Leonard, my immediate response is, 'You have a chance to win a championship.' And the same with LeBron [James and Giannis Antetokounmpo]. You tell me you got Steph -- I want you to tell me a little bit more ... my only problem with Steph though -- this is a big problem -- getting his own shot. He can get his own shot if he shoots it from 40 (feet).

"He's got sick handle and all that stuff. There's something different. It's hard to explain what it is with Steph, but Steph is somehow like the greatest system player of all time. And I'm not saying that to shade him. But you are not going 1-4 flat and being like, 'Get us a bucket.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bomani-jones-implies-steph-curry-194517471.html

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I totally agree. But he has proven that he can be the best player on a championship team. The rest of the team has to pretty damn good though. You put on a scrub team, and you are lotto bound. He's not like Harden, Durant or Lebron who can get you to the playoffs by himself even playing with scrubs.

3. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Wrong thread.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean you could say they were the best team ever with all players who were the best system players.

Other than KD who just did his own thing.

Most of them never played with another team.

I would call Nash also a product of the system but he was still an MVP and star player.

#4 daywalker02, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We've been saying this for years. I've always like Bomanis takes, it's his voice that I can't stand.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agree. Sort of a superstar but 2 x MVP. Give me a break.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

How come Steph never gets “he’s so great because of the system he’s in” takes that Harden always gets?

Steph went from low level All-Star to MVP and then unanimous MVP immediately after the change from Mark Jackson’s system to Steve Kerr‘s. Harden was a top 5 player and MVP level before MDA. All he’s done since then is be able to turn a stepback from three into a 37% shot, and be able to create that shot any time he wants. What did MDA have to do with that? I guess he’s cool with Harden taking 15 threes in a game while I couldn’t have seen McHale supporting that.

s3ts, Blurr#7, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I love Bomani but I disagree. His shooting works in any system. I agree that he is a terrible defender though

B-Bob, BeBreezy, saleem and 2 others like this.
  9. HardenVolumeOne

Steph curry was looking like trae young earlier this season without klay, iggy and kd. You have to surround curry with long athletic defenders to hide him and save his legs for offense. You cant just plug him on any team and they win the title. Curry for as good as he is, doesnt control the pace of the game with his scoring like harden, lebron and now luka. The best illustration of this was curry scoring 47 againist the raptors in the finals and still getting blown out on his home court. If Harden or Luka is scoring 47 points they are winning by double digits

napalm06, D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

He's definitely not a system player but he is overrated.

B-Bob, Easy and saleem like this.
  11. psaman17

psaman17 Member

bleacherreport.com/articles/2816140-james-harden-erupts-for-2nd-straight-50-point-game-in-losing-effort-vs-nets

This thread is ridiculous.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he needs the right zebras around him to be effective

francis 4 prez, B-Bob, jcf and 4 others like this.
  13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Totally disagree. I hate the Warriors but I have to give Steph his props. That guy is a killer.

14. HardenVolumeOne

D-rock likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Agreeing or not won't take away their illgotten rings.

Wrong forum.

saleem, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  16. Mr. Space City

All I’m saying is we have yet to see Steph consistently play at an MVP level surrounded with scrubs like Harden last year, but this is an NBA dish thread.

17. psaman17

psaman17 Member

There was a guy. Michael something. He scored 63 points against the Celtics in a playoffs loss. What a freaking loser. Basically your argument is really stupid and you are moving the goal post. Great players are allowed to lose when they have a career night. Last i checked, basketball is a team sport.

Again this thread is ridiculous. Its one thing if Steph Curry has never enjoyed success while posting great numbers. The guy is a 2x MVP and multiple time champion for christ sake. Yall act like he is Kevin Martin.

Fefo, jeevinesh and malakas like this.
  18. HardenVolumeOne

people just aren’t fully convinced that he can anchor a team from start to finish. I wanted to see him ball out this year. He has less than 17k points for his career and really doesn’t have that many high assists/ scoring games in his career. If you ask basketball reference who is better between curry and harden. I bet they say harden. Harden has what 4 or 5 straight seasons with a per over 27. Mj is the last guard to do that, yet curry is seen as better with no finals mvps

bballjunkie and D-rock like this.
  19. psaman17

psaman17 Member

This isn't about who is better between Harden and Curry. Its about whether Curry is a supertar or not.

He is the only unanimous MVP in league history.
    His team won 73 games with him being the first option on offense.
    His efficiency is mind mindbogglingly good. 67% TS on 30 point per game during the 15-16 season might be the best of all time.

The argument used to be the Draymond Green was a bum who is only good because he plays with Steph. Now its the other way around? Jesus effing Christ.....

jeevinesh and malakas like this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Steph Curry is a superstar by any rational definition of the term. Most popular player in the league and a perennial All-NBA/All-Star.

"do you have a chance to win a championship just because we got you" is so vague as to be utterly useless here. To win a championship, you need multiple quality pieces to your team.

B-Bob, BigM, rockbox and 4 others like this.