1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gen. Mattis speaks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

And this is why I said if they push Mattis out I would jump aboard the impeachment train. Mattis is a great man and extremely intelligent. I wish he was President and I will write his name in on my ballot.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside."

"We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them."

"We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad."

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Why not just vote for Biden? A vote for a write in is a vote for Trump.

Deckard, RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I refuse to vote for anyone that voted for the Iraq war. No exceptions. I wrote a longer post about it in the Joe 2020 thread.

RayRay10, IBTL and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Fair enough.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Mattis was anti Iraq War?

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wasn't his decision to go in. He did his job and pushed his Marines into Baghdad extremely quickly with limited casualties. The adminstration and the politicians destroyed Iraq when they fired all the Iraqi soliders and would not allow any member of the Ba'ath Party to be in the government. They were the only ones who had experience running a government and it became a clusterf$#k

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Bill Gates got to him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

almost but not exactly

I'll take a write in for a non candidate over a vote for trump

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I would too but still if a person goes out and casts their vote why not select someone that can win? In this case it doesn't unseat Trump and it doesn't really help Biden. Solution is a third party but I don't wanna get too off topic here.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Sounds like the Trump regime after the transfer of power from the Obama administration.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A write in means you are ok with Trump.

Deckard likes this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

If at this point you can’t decide who is the lesser evil I don’t know what to say.

Deckard, RayRay10, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Damn Mattis took him to the woodshed.

Claimed that the President violated the Constitution for a photo opportunity... and lacks any leadership ability.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Incredibly strong words from Mattis. Contrast this with the fascist opinon piece written by Tom Cotton in the New York Times. Two military men, two opposite declarations of what they believe America to be and what our values are.

I await the horde to descend and claim how Mattis is a coward who deserves mockery.

Deckard, RayRay10 and Andre0087 like this.
  16. swakid8

swakid8 Member

This is how trump got voted in when all the Bernie supporters decided to write folks in lol. You know folks who are leaning right aren’t going to write candidates in.

This is a case of the lesser evil. If you don’t want Trump, I would vote Biden.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am pleased to see great concern about the Iraq War on this very bbs which argued day by day and provided alternate media evidence to contradict the unanimous mainstream media that there was valid evidence for wmd in Iraq and that Sadam was a mortal immediate threat to the US.

Hero worship for generals who either believed the false evidence or went along out of confused duty or career advancement is not helpful.

It is sad to see that Biden, Hillary, Kerry and all the Dems who thought they might eventually run for president went along, even though they voted against the first war on Iraq.

#37 glynch, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Obviously Mathis a know nothing Democrat. Trump's never even met him before.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

low level staff

T_Man, RayRay10 and Air Langhi like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Coffee boy.

T_Man, vlaurelio and Air Langhi like this.