1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why cops have to remain vigilant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, May 31, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Trailblazing Texas deputy who was first local Sikh officer 'ruthlessly' killed during traffic stop

Now I know Amaru and co. are cheering this on and think it's one for the good guys, but take a look at his picture -

[​IMG]

This is what cops deal with on daily basis, whether you want to admit it or not. The only way to reduce aggressive police response is to stop testing them and having them on edge. If one demographic does it more than the other, up until this point, be extra cautious about anything involving criminal activity. Condemn it and draw a hardline... don't justify it. That's what creates change - not a clown kneeling on a football field.

2. Senator

Senator Member

There were no riots or protests over this killing.

But it was committed by a repeat offender with a violent past.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think there is a multiple century conflict between American law enforcement and American Sikh communties. Tragic but let's be clear, roofing is a statsically more dangerous proffesion than law enforcement in America. Do you ever express the heroism and risks of roofers?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It's not the best job for an inexperienced contractor and yet I've never heard of a roofer death other than heat stroke or heart attack.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No Worries, ThatBoyNick and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

You would be wrong. It is a very dangerous job. My firm has represented some roofers in personal injury suits. It is a very nasty job.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also stopping the double standard would help. If Floyd had been a blind white girl, she likely wouldn't have been in custody. If she was, even if she resitsed, she wouldn't have had police put knee to neck, and hold it even after notifying officers she couldn't breathe.

The same is true for many other cases.

People cried out after each of them and nothing has changed.

Once people stop blaming the victims and start making real changes the rioting won't happen. If only people like you had listened before, we wouldn't be in this situation now.

B@ffled likes this.
  8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Lack of representation. Lack of politicians who are willing to risk their pocketbooks for true causes. Leadership has failed at the House and Senate level. I’d also argue it failed at a Presidential level too....including The current and the previous 3 or 4 presidents. Rodney King resulted in small steps, that is slight awareness. There should be more progress from Rodney King to now. Why hasn’t there been?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wow you brought up this great man to defend that murdering piece of ****

Shame on you @Senator

amaru, jchu14, glynch and 1 other person like this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wht is there to protest, he doesn't represent the power structure.

This officer's death was mourned significantly in Houston

amaru and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Because everytime honest dialogues are taking place, they got shutdown real quickly by name calling and racist charge lobbing around like hand grenades. This problem that is tearing our country apart is multifaceted, if we want to solve it, we cannot continue on the path that we are on, and I’m pretty damn sure they’re forces out that don’t want us to heal. My first riot was back in 1980, and I saw my life flashed before my eyes trying to help a mother and her child. 40 years later, same old crap, nothing ever changes, I’ll repeat your question again: WHY?

snowconeman22 and B@ffled like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

cops do have to remain vigilant , i dont remember this , but it sounds like a tradgedy.

@Senator our entire criminal justice system is outdated and broken . Do we actually succeed in rehabilitating convicts ? Do we get all the guilty people ? Do innocents never go to jail ?

Some errors are unavoidable, but i feel far too many in this country are preventable if only we had a different approach. A different approach to policing , a different approach towards being policed... far too much aggression and mistrust on both sides AND sometimes even if you are doing nothing wrong a tragedy can happen ( on either side )

you arent gonna avoid officers getting shot by having a gun drawn for every traffic stop , not in the long run at least ... or maybe when you turn up officer aggresion and precaution too many innocent civilians get harmed.

Just because cops should remain vigilant doesnt mean they need to employ some of the tactics that are now common in law enforcement. Honestly , how good are the police at DE-escalating a situation? Their modus operandi seems to be that when met with any sort of threat or even hint of danger they immediately go to escalate by drawing a weapon.

cops need to sack the **** up and rely on the badge to keep them safe . Almost no one takes out a cop and gets away with it. Start relying on mutual respect vs firepower and intimidation.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

How will real changes be made when you've got so much hate in your blood?

People with a violent past react differently around cops, and that's no fault of the cops own.

The mob only exist to see the world burn, but cops exist to preserve society that allows people to thrive.

When the blind white girl has a history of breaking and entering with guns pointed at people, then I wouldn't be surprised at her getting into altercations with cops for resisting arrest. You're so scared of looking at yourself in the mirror, you can only make me out to be the bad guy when I'm saying there will always be 1 situation in a 100 that doesn't follow protocol. No matter how many laws are passed, how much training happens.

Help yourself beat those odds by staying out of trouble. Reform , whatever that means, is a 2 way street.

14. Senator

Senator Member

What do you mean get away with it? Cops are shot at and no one is arrested - it happens a lot. I can't understand why anyone would even want to be a cop with average pay, so much hatred and contempt from a media that thrives on hate and reality tv, and a toxic group of people who relish the opportunity to test them. Time and time again. But the second anyone makes some money, they need them REAL BAD. And for the most part, cops do a great job. You NEVER hear about the good incidents because it won't sell.

There will always be racists out there, laws won't change that. There will always be power trips. At the same time, there will also be cops just doing their job and a situation spirals out of control. That's why you can't expect a 100% success rate from them, and right now it's pretty damn high (99% of protocol with no incident). So why not divert your outrage to the act of committing a crime itself? The past is the past, no one can change it, but you won't make a future for yourself if you don't work with the system meant to help you. These protestors aren't going to break stereotypes, they're going to enforce them and help trump get reelected. The looters are doing the same thing here and as a community, people are just like well that 1 cop was racist so we'll do whatever we want.

Shut down all forms of justification of any crime, large or small. Just do it. Because the President ain't gonna change things - Obama didn't, Trump didn't, Biden sure as hell won't (he's just out winning votes now, but he's the most clueless of all). Active cops will react based on their personal experiences, and stereotypes exist for a reason. Not sure how old you are, but don't think these riots and protests are anything new. It's the same old %%%% and nothing changes ... each time the media does make a lot of money out of it, people feel like they were part of something real and special, but the rest of the country (90%) just go back to work as usual the next week. Law or no law, that won't matter when your life is tested.

15. Senator

Senator Member

Dead cop killed at routine traffic stop - no one bats an eye. Won't get to 2 pages with maybe a few "thoughts and prayers".

1 repeat criminal offender (uses guns to break and enter, threatens women) gets stomped on while committing a crime, dies, it's a million pages, riots, and those of a toxic culture spring to life as a way to justify their own shortcomings. It was that 1 racist cops fault, time to riot and loot and hate all people in a merit based society.

That's the real problem here -- people are lonely and want to feel like they belong something. As a country - America is more a land of opportunity than anywhere else in the world, for people of all races. But this isn't helping that, it's making it worse. And those on the ground, with businesses, who are affected by it, won't forget those that did this.

16. Senator

Senator Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This isn’t honoring George Floyd.. <a href="https://t.co/8ES6Z5p3ho">pic.twitter.com/8ES6Z5p3ho</a></p>&mdash; Benny (@bennyjohnson) <a href="">June 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cops aren't being nice enough to these guys! Slavery happened so it's ok.

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Wait you’ve never heard of a roofer falling off a building?

18. Senator

Senator Member

Ashley Rae Groypenberg

It's almost like we live in a black supremacist society where mobs can vandalize neighborhoods, loot stores, set businesses and museums on fire, nearly beat a man to death--with support from elites--and no one can do anything about it since they don't want to be called racist.

Some of it is funded by George Soros , nothing will be said because he's Jewish, but most of it is not.

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

They usually sucomb to heat stroke or heart attack before falling off the roof.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is a odd bone to try to pick

Half of everybody dies from heart failure, that risk relative to work related mortality risk is not comparable.

Roofing is a very dangerous job.