1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's a reverse merger, not a "real" IPO. VTIQ is currently trading and will merge with Nikola which isn't a publically-traded company. After the merger, the company's symbol will be NKLA.

Senator likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Most of the 'advice' I'm reading in this thread is pretty Rocky.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

i am not qualified to give stock advise, but i share some of my stock ideas.

this idea seems to be working out
    [​IMG]

#9923 adoo, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice one.

I got in some $190 calls early for MSFT 5/15, I might sell soonish but it has been great today.

RIOT I have a call in June at $2 just to test btc halving but also bought puts @1.50 for 5/15, I'm basically going to just move contracts here.

DBX 23.50 c for 5/15, got in early and it seems good so far..

Then I'm messing around with a boring put on sqqq, that ones most likely garbage... And will be even, unless I can make a quick double. I just did this last one to try it out, I meant to buy it multiple times over the weeks after the high, and kept forgetting, missed out on decent money.

I meant to have the calls on 5/22 for MSFT but it's working out...

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Sold Shopify too early...
    I should just tell you guys when I sell something so you can cash in...argh

RKREBORN likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hehe, I know what you mean, lately I've been doing similar... My MSFT calls last week I cashed way too early. Regardless I hope you got some nice profits

7. adoo

adoo Member

SPLK is is the same field as CRM, SW analytical tools, which kinda explain the similarity in their respective chart pattern.

to the extent that SPLK has a 22 May 2020 earnings call, ~ 1.5 wks earlier than CRM,
    gonna use the results of SPLK's earnings call as a canary in the coal mine / early warning system for my CRM calls

[​IMG]

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do you hold onto any long term investments? Or only in and out after a few days or less?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I swear you watch the same stocks I do. LOL. I watched Splunk for years, but more as a possible takeover candidate, but never bought it. Tons of great Nasdaq (and other) buys out there after that market crash in March.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lately on my trading accounts it's just been in/out days to weeks on most, some options I will buy further out but I'm usually looking to just move contracts/stocks so like I'll try to find options within the next few weeks (so 1-4 out) this way I can hopefully get profits/avoid the premiums - big theta decay etc, this typically can be very high risk so you have to watch them if you're in one during market hours. Generally on a lot of contracts I'm looking to get 50-100%+, I mean there's some I've bought recently I was almost certain wouldn't make it to the money but with the wild volatility people will pay on some of these you can profit, I mean it sucks for whoever wanted to buy it... But if they'll pay for it I'll trade it.

Obviously if I get a real runners I'll let it keep going, but everything seems to be shifting a lot still. I typically try to follow the money/volume option trends and then look at what's going on regarding news/chart/volumes etc.., like for example I'll look at ERs coming up and try to get in at a good price and hopefully I'll cash on these where people are wanting to get in (like around ex-div time etc/hoping it drives the price up). My order of these things can vary some days but just trying to state that I'm not buying random options, haha.

Once the market is over this at some point I'll probably slow it back down or buy back in for longer holds, I still think there's going to be some dips in a few sectors so I've basically just been catching volatility and some small cap trash plays. On small caps I'll rarely hold long unless there's more volume/rumors coming.

When things are back to a closer norm I'll definitely hold stocks. I know you can't time the market, but I think the added volatility has allowed things to play faster so trying to cease the opportunity.

With that said... I still of course have 401k/homeowner, and eventually looking to own more property hopefully... So I'm not playing with just this as my sole investment, I just meant right now not in anything long term like I normally would be. I really want to see how the next few weeks go.

Are you in anything long right now?

On a side note, if the market was playing more steady I'd definitely consider selling puts for stocks I want to own (if I miss entry on long term holds), but I want it to be where I have smaller risk, not looking to pick like a Boeing or something and they dip super hard, but was thinking as stocks steady this would be an opportunity to make returns and possibly get in to avoid a full FOMO. But with all the news/global market I still think we might see some outside factors finally hit the market more

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

WSJ reported about this earlier, but so is CNBC -- apparently US is looking for ways to build chip foundries here or give incentives for ramping up chip production here instead of being so reliant on the supply chain via China. Intel and Taiwan Semiconductor are apparently included in the talks. This could be huge news for semi manufacturing in the future :

Since WSJ is behind a paywall :

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wir...ip-plant-amid-concern-asian-supplies-70607621

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice find!

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a side note I've been meaning to buy AMD calls but kept missing planned entry. Like I planned on buying calls 50-55 range... Hopefully someone made some money. I don't know about going forward but liked it after the dip. Haven't gone back to look at other than seeing the price, basically if I miss a contract I'm pretty stubborn unless I feel it'll get me a lot more after enough research

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Did you get in on this? I actually had orders that expired in April at around $12 for VTIQ, unfortunately I didn't attempt to get in again... , but watching. I hope you're making a lot.

I saw someone with some amazing options on this.

#9934 CCity Zero, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Was thinking on getting in on this yesterday but didn't want to jump on the bandwagon. When a stock is rising due to no news (they already announced the acquisition a while ago) I get worried. I've seen too many pump and dumps in my day.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah this was my issue too... When I missed entry initially it looked odd then dipped next day so I kind of moved on... I don't think I'd play it differently, like more times than not if I try to force something I'll get burned. I meant to go back and check it some more/research but moved on to other trades.

I'm going to need to note these better going forward... Like on MRNA and NVAX - MRNA I made some... NVAX I did the same thing, at $6 entry and moved on after missing bid, hahah - I'm on fire lately, I should just post my missed entries...

That guy with the call options did pretty nice on VTIQ, I'm probably going to watch it and try for an entry or at least test options if they calm down a bit and isn't just crazy climb, I don't really want to pay a premium to be close to ITM on this volatility right now.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Welp... when I bought VTIQ back in March and April, I expected a run-up, but nothing like this. Makes me wish I had bought options so I could be typing at you guys from my private island. :D I think the warrants are up even more.

A lot of this is a pump on a company that I think can do well in the future, but they're not even expected to go into mass production until next year. This sucks because I may have to get out of it too soon. lol. The thing is up another 8-9% right now in the after-market -- it reminds me of the dot com bubble. Talk about flashbacks.

CCity Zero, Sajan and Kim like this.
  18. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I'm holding some shares at average of 15.90. I bought thinking it would double close to when merger happens, but didn't think it would go up that fast.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had an order set at 16..just a couple of days ago that didn't fill.
    Now it's 28. Way too much hype for a company that's still in its infancy.
    Ultimately though, people are riding this up for the profits so hard to tell when the bubble pops.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You did really well man, I wish you got in on those options too, but I didn't even think it'd be this fast either, haha, regardless really great job!!!

BmwM3 likes this.