1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans extending Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U spin this bs defense and yet when people can use the same defense for hopkins. You spin another stupid ass one, that him being disgruntled decrease his value. A proven great WR in his prime isn't worth even one first round pick, Tunsil wasn't a proven LT, he had potential + wasn't even pro bowl yet. Just stop moving the goal post and go talk to someone else.

Don't talk to me about draft capital, Mr. Draft picks are overrated.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Good LT tackles don't grow on Trees. Texans tried to sign Trent Brown and Nate Solder. Good thing they didn't because Solder SUCKED and Brown was AVERAGE. I would rather pay a premium for a GOOD player, not just one who looking for money.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is no spin. There is FACTS. You don't understand the moving up in the first round of the draft and its cost. You parrot others. A proven WR that you are not going to pay $20-$22 million with 3 years left of his contract. That's why no one would offer anything. There many teams interested UNTIL they heard the contract demands. LT are WAY more valuable than WRs. That is why 3 went before the 1st WR. Tunsil was proven and just like clockwork, his 1st prowbowl came in season 4.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I know I was. But I’m also not a cuck that supports whatever garbage a franchise tries to force feed me simply bc they share the same area code I do. And honestly at this point it’s more fun to root against them.

This is a garbage franchise w garbage ownership and garbage “management” that more or less steals money from its fans w no real intention of ever putting a respectable product on the field.

Being a Texans “fan” is the sports equivalent of battered spouse syndrome.

5. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I get this maybe over simplifying things. Imagine going into last year's draft and available to get is a 24 year-old LT with three years experience and Pro Bowl potential. The price is two late 1st round picks and you'll have said LT for five years at an average salary under 16 million.

Does any team with a need at LT and plenty of cap space really turn that down? My guess is teams that didn't even have a huge need would jump at the opportunity.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

Since you're not familiar with the draft, Tunsil would've been the best LT in this draft. He would've gone #4 to the NYG's. It would have cost this yrs 1st (#26) and next yrs 1st plus more to trade up to #4 and pick Tunsil. Use the Julio Jones trade as a guide. So they didn't overpay for Tunsil. As far as Tunsil's contract goes, you have to pay to retain great young players.

Let's see how Blacklock does before deeming the Nuk trade a failure. Blacklock/Cooks/DJ and a 2021 4th for a disgruntled WR that wanted a raise every yr seems like a fair deal to me. (But hey that's just me.)

I dont hate DW4 I just think he's not that good. A middle of the pack QB, who's the worst type of QB to deal with. When he's great, he's great. When he's bad he's really bad and you cant win a championship with your QB playing that way. Can he improve sure, will he improve I have my doubts. However I hope he does improve because he's going to be the QB of the Texans for the next 5 yrs, regardless of who the HC is.

7. raining threes

Bob McNair set all of this in motion be trading Brown. The trade for Tunsil was fair value for what would've been the best LT in this draft. This just in, those kind of players get paid.

The rest of the article was a bunch Hopkins/Clowney nut hugging. Let's see how Blacklock/Cooks/DJ play next yr and who the 2021 4th is before declaring the Hopkins trade a failure.

There's a reason why Clowney is a FA and his price is dropping every day.

8. raining threes

Question? What would it have cost to move up from 26 to 4 and pick Tunsil? Because if Tunsil was in the draft that's where he would've been picked.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You aren't winning a Super Bowl with Billy Bob as your HC, much less with him as your HC & GM, regardless of who the QB, WR, or the LT is. Don't put this all on DW4. Billy Bob couldn't win the BIG Ten so i think expecting a Super Bowl is stretch at best. Coaching, team building & cap management is how you win Super Bowls. You can't be mediocre at all three and expect win.

payaso likes this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Laremy Tunsil and @deshaunwatson workout with each other four times a week. They are focused on everything they have in front of them. #Texans

— patrick the brick wall (@PatDStat) April 27, 2020

Laremy Tunsil says he chose a three year deal to get back into the market. #Texans

Laremy Tunsil said that an "extension was not on his mind" when he was traded from Miami. He was worried playing a game against the Saints. #Texans

raining threes likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It would have cost #26, the #1 in 2021 and possibly a 3rd rounder (the 2nd the Texans gave up was to include Stills in the trade).

So, basically the same for Tunsil......but for a PROVEN Tackle.

rugg31 and raining threes like this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Two 1’s and a 3rd doesn’t get you from 26 to 4. That’s what it took for the Chiefs to move from 27 to 10 for Mahomes.

rugg31 and raining threes like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The point is...you would pay basically what you did to get Tunsil.

15. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

It largely depends on who is available at the pick. How many times do you see teams make that kind of jump for a non-QB? 99% of those types of trades involve moving up for QBs, because that's really the only chance teams have on getting a return on that kind of investment.

#116 ReliantTexan, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not that it really matters but strongly disagree. The price goes up exponentially as you get into Top 5 territory. Hell the Jets gave up the 6th pick and three 3rd rounders to move up 3 spots.

From a draft capital standpoint, we would’ve had to give up a lot more to move up that far which means we actually got good value in the trade. Then again you have to factor paying what is effectively triple the salary.

BTW, not complaining about the trade or the contract. Just saying I don’t think that gets us anywhere near the 4th pick.

17. raining threes

Disagree with this,

You can get a return on your investment at premium positions. CB/Edge/LT.

18. raining threes

I think he's done a great job of building the roster. I cant wait to see the offense with the increase in speed.

The front 7 on defense should be improved.

If you want BOB gone just point to 51-7. But the Penis St thing was a bad example of why BOB should be fired. He rebuilt that football team after a sex scandal and the program should've gotten the SMU treatment.

rugg31 likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Here is BoB's honesty

"Honestly, Laremy, I mortgaged the Texans' future in order to acquire you. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I can't allow you to leave so here is a blank contract. Just name your price and your terms."

payaso likes this.