1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not shutting it down until it's gone, but maybe until after this current wave has peaked? Maybe when we hit a consistent number of days showing the wave has reduced by 50%? Perhaps any type of improvement first?

No one is saying have chemo delayed, I don't think they should prevent people from getting cancer screenings, for example, my wife is heavily pregnant and she is going into her doctor 2-3 times a week right now, I'm not suggesting things like that be stopped, or that any restrictions on health screenings and checkups be stopped. There's a huge difference in medical necessities and opening restaurants, bars, events, shopping etc.

What could prevent people from going into a doctors office, is more and more people dying around them, so the argument could be made both ways, just because it's opened back up doesn't mean the general public feels safe. I will feel safe when this thing is brought into better control. Between my wife and I, we have already heard of 4 deaths in the immediate family of our friends, my cousin got the virus last week, the more chaos people experience or hear of, the worse this country will be in the long run.

It's upsetting to see how well some countries have done, Italy and Spain are of course the 2 worst major countries in the world for this virus, and Belgium. Even Italy has new cases cut in half from their peak currently though.

I can name a couple of dozen countries, but to name a handful South Korea, Australia, Switzerland, Austria, New Zealand are all clear examples of countries being able to cut their new cases into 1/10th of their peak numbers. I would feel a whole lot more comfortable relaxing the lockdown if we were on the trajectory of any of those places. Instead, right now we are at our current peak.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Because the mortgage / rent isn't 100% of a person's bills. People need food, and have miscellaneous bills like car, phone, insurance, internet. If rent/mortgage is freezed, a $500-700 UBI per person should cover the vast majority of people.

We could just get everybody on food stamps for food, but that would just overload and crash their system like unemployment right now, would just be much better to administer a temporary UBI.

Where will doctors come from if people have healthcare? What a question lol, let's ask Canada or Japan, they both have a lower physician to citizen ratio than the USA with universal coverage. But if you are worried we can cancel student debt, make college tuition-free so more people are able to become nurses and physicians.

a la rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure where you heard that, but we've had over 200 cases in 10 of the last 11 days in the Houston area. We added 217 new cases and 3 more deaths yesterday.
    IMG_20200425_082045.jpg

IBTL, RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What you are not grasping is that 99.95% of these cases will see full recovery. Furthermore, there is nothing that says that the 3 deaths were caused by COVID. The statistics track people who at the time of death had COVID. It does not attribute causation of death to COVID.

STOP THE FEAR p*rn. FACTS MATTER

cml750 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Comparing Houston to anywhere else in terms of "healthy" is not a good move... this one compares Harris County to NY county:

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/data-explorer#{"mode":"compare","year":2019,"counties":["36061","48201"],"axes":{}}

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Its like... "facts, who needs them when I have a narrative to present"

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Before we can successfully do that we need widespread testing to make intelligent decisions. Right now we are woefully deficient in testing...

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If truth and facts mattered at all to you then you wouldn't be s Trumpateer. Nothing you say means anything to me.

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Facts like this?

JAN 22
    “We have it totally under control. ... It’s going to be just fine.”
    Donald Trump

FEB 24
    “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock market starting to look very good to me”
    Donald Trump

FEB 28
    “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
    Donald Trump

MARCH 2
    "We had a great meeting today with a lot of the great companies and they're going to have vaccines, I think relatively soon.”
    Donald Trump

MARCH 6
    “Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. They’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”
    Donald Trump

MARCH 10
    “And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”
    Donald Trump

IBTL, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

sounds like a saturated Geiger counter.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm afraid of the virus and it has nothing to do with the data we have on deaths. My meter isn't life or death and nothing in between....

It's the data we DO NOT have on the possible long term and/or recurring issues it may (or may not) present that worries me. I care about my health. I'm an active person. There's a quality of life aspect to this. And we simply don't know a lot about this virus yet.

Herpes on my pee-pee wont kill me... but I do NOT want it.

I'm not sure if the majority of the working class wants to return to work. Aside from the relatively small, store-bought protests, you only seem to have rich people working to get things back online.

arkoe, RayRay10 and ryan_98 like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My read on the numbers is that the people who tested CV+ are the ones who got sick enough to actually be tested (and likely admitted into the hospital).

IIRC only 20% who are CV+ need serious medical treatment. The weekly 200K CV+ imply that there is likely one million people that actually CV+.

Sadly, the weekly 200K CV+ also imply that there are 10-20K future CV deaths.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We can totally discount whatever BS Trump is selling now as well.

The whole no-CV-second-wave-in-the-fall nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Trump must be thinking ... how the **** am I going to win in the fall if there is a second CV wave?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is very rich coming from, Trump got elected because of FEAR p*rn as you say and has continued through the 2018 election.

So when is that caravan of MS13 arriving?

Nook likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As far as Houston is concerned. . . . . When are we looking at opening.
    I know we got 30 more days of face covering. Looking like May 20th
    But
    Is May 3rd still the target date?

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Since when do you people care about the vulnerable?

Nook likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Excellent read on learning how to dance after the hammer...

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    Yours is a commonly held, ignorant belief. Conservatives advance free market principles, freedom/liberty, limited government, low taxes, and many other causes because we believe strongly that they are the best way to lift the quality of life for ALL Americans. All Americans is inclusive of the privileged and the impoverished -- the strong and the vulnerable -- all races, geographies, and socioeconomic classes.

Liberals advance the opposite principles because they believe in paternalistic government - i.e. the government knows best, and the people are dumb and incapable of handling their own affairs. Conservatives believe in empowering people to live freely. Big difference.

GOOD DAY

AroundTheWorld, cml750 and Astrodome like this.
  20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Im with Trader...this virus isnt nearly as doom and gloom as chicken littles here say it is. I used to be on the other side of the fence, but some of you have gone off the rails and are overreacting

cml750, El_Conquistador and Astrodome like this.