1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

That's not a useful metric either, because that doesn't account for how well you're targeting the testing. If you're doing scattershot tests, you'll get very different results than only targeting people in hospitals. But it doesn't change the reality of how many cases there are.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

Noticed more people out, and less and less are wearing mask or gloves. Is everything back to normal lol wtf

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It appears that way

people couldn’t handle a couple of weeks . Frankly people didn’t follow it strictly from day 1

unfortunately we needed more cases and more fear to keep people away from each other

hopefully this doesn’t cause a spike

FrontRunner, CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  4. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

It will. I can see people taking this as "it's back to normal now."

The way media and the governor have worded their school closure, makes it seem as though the 19-20 school year is cancelled. In reality, distance learning and virtual school is still ongoing and required from students in order to be promoted or graduate. We will definitely see a decrease in student participation in our school district.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Traffic is definitely back inside the loop. It was nice and a quiet for a while. Now the non-loopers have come crawlin back. :cool:

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree it’s a simplistic measure.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

You can sort by per capita numbers there. Also I think the percent positive trends are valuable to look at to see the direction of things, but it's difficult because the reporting data can be so lumpy. Things in the US have slightly gone down but not much. NY percent positve has dropped a fair bit, but NJ still remains red hot. Not sure exactly what is going on there. NY peaked at 50.5% on 4/1 and it's at 32.5% as of yesterday. NJ on 4/1 was at 51.8% and yesterday it was at 56.1%. It's been over 50% in NJ for 3 weeks with no signs of dropping. It could be some indication of a major backlog or something. I'm not sure.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well let's hope they don't make too many people sick...shitheads

Nook, TMac'n, Amiga and 3 others like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

No.
    "Natural origin" that the scientists speak of means it was a naturally created spillover.
    It was likely NOT bioengineered.
    That doesn't mean it was not leaked from the lab.

And I never said it was man made.
    Phylogenetics have no way of knowing if the virus was leaked from the Wuhan lab and neither do scientists unless they have access to the files in the Wuhan lab , the research conducted there and their lab animals.

Interesting about the pangolins.

So a bat from Yun Nan met a pangolin from around Guandong, and that pangolin met a human from Wuhan.:D:D:rolleyes:

LMAO.
    Even more reason to believe that it was leaked from the lab now.

10. malakas

malakas Member

The basic conclusion from this pandemic is that the majority of the humans on earth are shitheads.

CCity Zero and davidio840 like this.
  11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

While absolutely true, it didn’t take this pandemic to already know that ;)

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The CCP main interest is to
    1. Control its people
    2. Sharing as little information with the West, esp. USA as possible
    3. They intend to find a vaccine first and establish themselves as the savior of mankind and the EU.
    4. Economic excellence

What we know.

1a. The pangolin spillover narrative is losing traction.
    There are tons of Coronavirus types, and this might just be a cousin of the Covid 19 that is being harbored inside the anteater.

1b. The natural spillover is also very unlikely, would have been accident of the century.
    But nice theory.
    Humans would still play a role, while it wouldn't be viewed as man made, it would have been passively man produced.

Stuff for Hollywood.

#6392 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  13. malakas

malakas Member

What are you talking about daywalker?
    It is the point YOU have been arguing all this while that this is a completely natural coincidental spillover event that managed to span half of the length of China to happen.

Natural spillovers happen all the time, and it's not so rare.
    What is extremely suspicious and unlogical if the species themselves live in complete parts of the country, thousands of kilometres away.

What makes more sense if all these species were gathered somewhere next to each other in the middle of Wuhan.
    A wet market...or a science lab in the middle of a metropolis.

FrontRunner likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Natural spillovers would also been very easy to track, and no government not even China's government would have been able to hide it.

Just saying China wouldn't be able to cover up a huge disaster at a lab and try to contain the disease itself, and control the media.

The fact that scientists have trouble to find out the amplifier, the second mammal or even humans that harbored it while it mutated, suggests it is not that clear.

I also trust scientists more than I trust my thinking or yours.

No offense, we're not scientists or investigating journalists but interested parties wanting to know the truth.

Our materials are mostly second hand and we do not risk our lives at the frontline. (other than the refugee situation, much respect for that.)

You are doing a great job at collecting information, no doubt, we're all grateful for that.

#6394 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2020
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Bad news for yall.
    Abstract
    During January 26–February 10, 2020, an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus disease in an air-conditioned restaurant in Guangzhou, China, involved 3 family clusters. The airflow direction was consistent with droplet transmission. To prevent the spread of the virus in restaurants, we recommend increasing the distance between tables and improving ventilation.

The virus was transmitted with aircondition flow and whoever was sitting in the way facing the flow got infected. One person infected two other tables.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It didn't have to be a huge disaster at a lab. It could have been a simple equipment malfunction that went unnoticed or human error. I believe there have been some good articles shared about this topic in this thread, but this is a pretty good read too.

Anything is possible, including that this is all some form of bio-terrorism, but I've yet to hear a convincing argument that this didn't originate at the wet market, or, less likely, that it slipped from the lab accidentally.

17. malakas

malakas Member

But you are confused.
    Natural spillover is what the whole international scientific community supports and believes in, for this case. Except from some extreme cases.

Its not strange if the intermediate species hasnt been found yet since pangolin and who knows what else's coronaviruses arent in a ready database and need to be hunted down and researched. That was what the Wuhan lab was doing.
    Which was very useful and good, as long as they had the appropriate security.
    Its already remarcable that the original bat virus was already catalogued (by Wuhan's lab LOL), because bats have a ton of coronaviruses that we havent even found the tip of the iceberg. And every year we discover couple of dozens more.

A natural spillover is different and independent from a leak in a lab. Both could be true at the same time.

Its either 1)bioengineered virus 2) natural spillover.
    Noone with any knowledge of the genetic material believes that is bioengineered so it is for sure natural spillover.

The natural spillover could easily happen in Wuhans lab with their bad security. As much as it could happen in the wet market, in a farm etc etc.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not know what is convincing for you personally but I already posted on 2 occasions that the origin was very likely not that wet market.

I recall the reasons from those scientists being:
    1. They checked most of the animals there and couldn't find enough evidence.
    2. The pangolin theory lost traction, while allegedly they are still favorites among poachers, their corona virus is more than a little different than the actual SARS Cov-2.
    3. Now the latest article I posted, the British scientist saying the virus started spreading as early as September. The wet market incident was much later.

While a spillover at a lab is possible, I need more evidence as there are more grounded explanations out there.

It sounds like a bad movie, while I agree the spreading of Covid-19 itself, and the valiant and futile containment efforts by the world leaders could fill a bad movie.

Thanks for sharing the link.

#6398 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2020
    pippendagimp likes this.
  19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You're welcome. I honestly haven't read that many alternative theories--convincing or otherwise--and if you've shared them I've missed them. As I've said though, anything is possible at this point.

The only thing I know for certain is that it's here now and we're going to have to find a way to cope with it.

I'm not trying to dismiss you or your theories, but maybe this topic deserves its own thread??? We're discussing theories now when most of this thread is about verifiable facts. (I have to go eat now too. All this talk of bats and pangolins is making me hungry.) :)

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. hooroo

hooroo Member