1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. jcf

jcf Member

Why wouldn’t specific quarantines of hotspots help? yes, the virus is already in all 50 states but I would think stopping unnecessary travel temporarily from hotspots should at least improve chances of getting this under control.

AroundTheWorld and malakas like this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Once more again WORST POTUS ever.

joshuaao, Junebball, Newlin and 3 others like this.
  3. WNBA

WNBA Member

NY state should be locked down and quarantined completely. Every state should provide hundreds medical staff and equipment to NY to help them though this... Hope this is what Trump going to do.

4. biina

biina Member

Given the situation of the country a limited number of people will be travelling out of state and people that do are more likely to visit the big cities that are already seeded and spreading. It's simply too late to talk about containing the virus in any form, that ship sailed a month or two ago.

Focus should fully be on maximizing the healthcare capacity and limiting the intra-community spread factor, hoping to minimize the worst outcome.

Most people don't seem to appreciate what we are facing, and many won't realize it until healthcare workers are overwhelmed and law enforcement starts to degrade.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You should apologize for constantly insulting people calling them Trump supporters just because you disagree with them.

dachuda86 likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If I were you I would probably go tell the teacher what happened. That way no more feelings get hurt.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

cant make this up and not sure how anyone can take anything he says as anything?

I never really knew all that much about trump but one thing that is pretty wild coming up every day since this guy came up is the amount of lying the guy does. Its really over the top and its not even salesman type lies. Not even good lies.

I wish maybe just that he was better at lying? I never realized what a liar the guy is. On one hand its funny in a morbid way but..

Trump was talking the other day and started saying things and wife and I looked at each other and burst out laughing since it was literal child like lying.

All fine normally maybe.. but for a president?

So we can talk about corona virus response from trump but how can you really when nothing is any level of the truth.

I want to believe and then you have my sick sister who has been around a confirmed case, and she can't get a test.

Are people lying to him? I think he hears what he wants and while it might be some kind of assurance move the reality on the ground is way different. But hey if you are listening to him then I have some commemorative coins I want to sell you.

TheFreak, joshuaao, Junebball and 2 others like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think he full and well knows what's going on, and a lot fo this is by design. You don't become a billionaire by being an idiot (though if you're given half that, you probably don't have to be as smart as the rest of them....especially if you declare bankruptcy that many times and don't pay people for their work...). I think he is such an egomaniac that he thinks he can speak himself into a different category of Presidential greatness.

I think he literally thinks he's the smartest person alive. When in actuality, he's probably of average intelligence and has rich kid syndrome.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Cmon man you are better than this..the president has access to the info and you cant say that a governor of some state is getting intelligence briefings and same info as the president. Apples and oranges. Btw you said I was in medical field and I am not. I am a bbs expert and often stay at holiday inn express.

To be fair here the real truth is we apparently dont have the intelligence on the ground in china to see whats what and it is as much to do with that as anything. Thats maybe trumps fault to not be watching china better but its not trumps fault since a virus wasnt really on the radar..

We are too focused on how many tanks china has and were unable to recognize this and take earlier action.
    No one including china initially realized how contagious this was and frankly even now the usa and every one is not being as forth coming about it still.

It is very contagious thats not on trump to downplay

Trump is a raging idiot to be sure but if we had proper field reporting in china and focus view on this type of thing.. we would have the mechanism to sound the bells.

Unfortunately it will be more thought of "next time a virus happens' the same way most safety stuff often in history evolves from tragedy..

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's not true. Dem gov of Washington State declared an emergency on 2/29/20, right after the discovery of community spread (1st official in the nation) that has likely been happening for weeks. That discovery was by the State itself, hindered by the CDC's massively botched testing and slow response.

NY acted too slow, but criticize them for their slowness in March, not Feb. They knew no better prior to 2/29. There is a balance between projecting panic and being grounded. You mentioned you have to act with what we know now (I disagree to that for something like this - you have to act on what the data, model and experts project out 2-3 weeks to months, not on the limited data available now). Them acting in the now means that back in Feb they didn't know there was community spread within their cities and state. The problem is they and no one else have good data to act upon and placed too much trust in the system, assuming it was on top of it and alert official of cases. That catastrophic failure go straight back to the fed gov.

I wanted precise, surgical quarantine and even restricting of region, starting in late Feb... but in order to do that you have to have very good data. Our data is junk. You know that small town in rural Texas today... yea, that one. It’s probably is everywhere there now but we haven’t yet picked up on it. At this point, with still a lack of testing and with incomplete data but with community spreading throughout most regions (probably all) in the US, you need to lock down the whole nation and only allow essentials services to continue. We simply don't yet have the capability nor the luxury to assume only this or that places are the hot spot. We do need to get there (the capability) and that's a continuing urgent need if we are to ever able to return to norm.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@MojoMan favorite cartoonist is at it again:

[​IMG]

dachuda86 likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately it is even more contagious than both links. In my basketball bbs opinion of course.

Im at the part where they don't want to admit how contagious it is. If no lockdown it would overload the medical system as it is likely to do anyway.

Us staying in is all you need to know about how contagious it is. You think it is just washing hands? If it was just that we wouldnt have to stay inside..

think about it

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

joshuaao likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Since when did Bill Gates become an MD?

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

While virus doesn't know between blue or red, what you see is the result of the past few weeks response. Since we have limited (crappy really) data, you are likely seeing "blue state look worse" because blue states have in fact tested more and are likely reporting the number more accurately than red states. This maybe very bad for red states. They are both likely in the same boat, but the red state having less data (under-reporting) means more likely they will delay actions... even a single day of delay is going to cause much more problem down the road.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-coronavirus-isnt-just-a-blue-state-problem/

joshuaao, Newlin and Andre0087 like this.
  18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm particularly worried about Texas. I mean I live here so. I got friends in and family in small towns like Dublin, Lampasas, Bluebonnet, Big Spring, El Paso, Corpus Christi, Eagle Pass, Dallas which is already reported to likely be overwhelmed, Paris, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Houston.

I live in Austin. Hospitals aren't yet overwhelmed but I fear they will be in the coming weeks. I used to work in healthcare for Seton, in particular SMCA and old Brackenridge. Dozens of friends I know that are obese meaning they likely have respiratory/heart problems already, nurses with health conditions like psoriatic arthritis that take immunosuppressants like Embril to deal with. And they're considered essential employees. One of my oldest surviving aunts on my dad's side is a nurse in her 70s in Ft. Worth. High risk.

I lost my closest dearest friend in August 2019 because ICU beds were overwhelmed in Cedar Park at the time and no other hospital floors wanted to deal with a seizure patient with respiratory issues. She was a Respiratory Therapist for Dell Childrens and did home health care around the surrounding Austin area until seizures took her ability to walk. She'd be a goner now with this crisis if she wasn't already dead.

I mean I'm friends with another Respiratory Therapist and her husband who is also a RT, that's a double lung transplant.

Double lung transplants typically only survive an additional 10 years. She's on year 12 with her set of lungs and too takes immunosuppressants to prevent her body from rejecting and attacking those sets of lungs. I'm worried about these people. These are essential employees. That's not including a lot of elderly in my family in those small towns with clinics, not hospitals, that could easily be overwhelmed with the nearest major city in proximity being many miles away. It's not like if the healthcare sector is overwhelmed, they'll be wasting time on life line helicopters for them. These are the people that would be considered not worth using a ventilator or life saving measures on based on this link below. The way it's being deliberately under reported in red states is alarming to me. I fear for the livelihood of so many friends and family who wouldn't even be considered worth trying to save if our healthcare system gets overrun. I saw what that was like already in August 2019 personally. It depresses and scares the ever living **** out of me.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/508570200...iMyg7cjpENeQ5IyibkMugwjmQNs9bLmEKR_znKxDpnF54

Nevermind the fact that if you catch this and do die in the hospital, it's not like you're going to have a circle of your closest friends and family there to sit with you in the hospital room to be supportive of your transitioning. You're going to die on your own. That's horrifying to think of for my friends and family. Dying alone and drowning in their own infections with high grade fevers that could cause the most nightmarish of hallucinations.

Amiga likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Why did he even float the idea of locking down those states for two weeks? This is the kinda thing that just makes you wonder, is he just flexing? Because there's no reason to mention anything about a possible lockdown if you aren't gonna do that...you're creating panic for no reason.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You mean, as opposed to simply declaring Easter as the date everyone goes back to normal because (1) people would like to go to church on Easter or (2) I need people to think I am winning the war against an invisible enemy or (3) based solely on a hunch?

joshuaao, RayRay10 and No Worries like this.