1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

You asked for it...

B-Bob and likestohypeguy like this.
  2. likestohypeguy

^I really didnt. Ofc it wasn't too funny, but I think the seed that sparked the sketch was that the actual accent DC used was pretty horrible.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Prodigy.

Came out in 2018.

Nothing ground breaking but a good child possessed movie that actually made sense until the end, it kind of fizzled.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Foreigner -- much better than I was expecting dark/ violent and it was fun to see JC kick ass again.

7.8/ 10

Redfish81, B-Bob and Tommyboy like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. KingCheetah

The ZZ Top documentary on Netflix is great -- major trip down memory lane. I totally forgot about the Worldwide Texas Tour with all the animals on stage (the vulture is still alive).

9.3/ 10

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

47 Meters Down - 8.25/10 (B - Movie greatness)

This is a nail-biter. Okay, there were some cheesy shark moments, as I pretty much expected going in, and it's no Jaws, and I wanted to kill the main characters for much of the movie myself, but the intensity... it just builds and builds. And it's "free" with Prime, so there's that.

KingCheetah, B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Me thinks this thread will be very popular in the incoming weeks

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Just watched Knives Out. Def thought Daniel Craig’s accent was quite corny but the film was pretty good overall.

To be honest, wife and I watched it last night, I fell asleep about an hour in lulz. Though I was tired as **** due to hella week at work.

So started an hour into the movie tonight and that ending was pretty sweet. I’d give it a 7/10.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Contagion 7.8/10

11. KingCheetah

Magnolia -- what a strange movie reminded me of Babel -- interesting but overdramatic with over the top acting by everyone. Probably would have been better if I would have seen it early, but 20 years later it was dated. Had an annoying tension throughout made worse by the constant loud background music -- about 30 minutes too long.

5.9/ 10

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I watched the latest Halloween 7/10 because I really liked Jamie Curtis did with grown up Laurie Strode.

JC should be getting more work, she should be the go to for older women roles, she has aged great.

I don't really like slasher movies anymore it's all pretty predictable.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I agree. I hadn't watched a Halloween movie in years, but she was great in this. I saw The Prodigy the other night too. Well acted and intelligent, but a bit slow.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I am far from a Woody Allen fan (as an actor I find him unwatchable), but Midnight in Paris was a great movie.

Watched Motherless Brooklyn last night, and I guess I *think* it was pretty okay.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It was great, I agree. And speaking of accents, Frank Beard’s accent is in-cred-i-ble. Daniel Craig couldn’t come up with something so over the top in his dreams.

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Seems we have the same sensibilities, would like to now what else you have watched and found interesting.

I have also watched John Wick 3 5/10 it was just ok, I think they have leaned in to far on the fight sequences.

To much flash, little substance.

17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I watched a little of one of the John Wick movies and found it pretty senseless. It's funny, I like horror movies and action movies, but it seems like a lot of horror movies these days have gore for gore's sake and a lot of action movies have unnecessary action sequences that seem to serve as filler, rather than advance the story.

It might be my age. When I was younger the MPAA was a lot more conservative when it came to their ratings. Most of the Friday the 13th movies I grew up watching had high body counts, but relatively little in the way of blood and guts. Now it seems anything goes. I'm sure the looser ratings system has allowed for more realism and made some scenes better at the same time, but so many movies take things too far in my opinion.

Give me some jump scares, give me something to fear when I'm alone at night, dispatch a few obnoxious teens if need be (not too cruelly though), but spare me the non-stop arterial sprays and guts falling out.

I don't know where in the country you are, but through my local library we can watch up to six movies a month free through Hoopla. Granted they're rarely the latest and greatest movies, but they have some decent ones, as well as a few good documentaries.

As for what I've seen lately that you might like on Amazon, Mission Impossible: Fallout was great (almost non-stop action, but great characters and a story too). As for more drama-like movies, David Fincher's Gone Girl was excellent and Zodiac was really good too. I can't think of any good horror movies I've seen lately just offhand, but I'm sure I'll watch one or two in the next couple weeks.

#8457 FrontRunner, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

JoJo Rabbit 10/10 (just a flat out f-ing great flick)
    Once Upon A Time in Hollywood 9/10 (great flick... plenty of surprises)
    Peanut Butter Falcon 9/10 (feel good movie for sure)
    Irishman 7/10 (Pretty cool historical story)
    Knives Out 6/10 (Craig's accent was distracting)
    Terminator (the new one whatever it's called) 2/10

19. KingCheetah

Breaking: Netflix and other streamers are being requested to discontinue HD streams and provide only SD so the internet tubes don't back up and overflow.

MY GOD.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Lost Girls (Netflix) - 8 out of 10. One of the better films I've seen this year, and a surprisingly Oscar-worthy performance by Amy Ryan (from The Office) that could have easily been a Frances McDormand role and would have gotten serious consideration. Based on a true story, Ryan owns the movie with her performance as a mother looking for her missing daughter. Not everything and everyone is as they seem in this movie. Later reading more about what happens after the movie will also make you shake your head.

update: just read Ryan was a nominee for Best Actress for Gone Baby Gone.

#8460 NewRoxFan, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020