1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Virus] So who’s still going out?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Mar 7, 2020.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Maybe this is anecdotal, but I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of babies being born in nine or so months. Hope there are vaccines by then!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I guess babies are safe from this **** for the most part, thankfully.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Asking people to voluntarily not show up to work will at best have mixed results. We have a government for times like these. I am also hopeful that situations like this one will show the importance of paid sick leave and emergency safe guards.

I understand that in some cases people have to work or be fired or homeless. You stated you did not need the money, that is why I criticized you.

FWIW the Governor of Illinois has been exceptional handling this crisis and has taken the step of closing restaurants, bars and clubs.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Right, because the only two choices are "full bunker apocalypse mode" or "lots of hugs and touching." SMFH.

At least Rudy Gobert had the decency to admit his mistake and apologize.

Be less concerned with being personally right and more concerned for everyone else.

Nook, jcf, heypartner and 1 other person like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you and appreciate it. This is a very hard situation which is why I'm not jumping down anyone's throat for criticizing me. These are all fair points and are legitimate concerns. I know I'm fortunate that not playing a show will be an annoyance and not a true hardship. I have friends though who work in the service industry and shows like what I do make a difference financially. If you're a server a good night with a lot of tips could mean fixing a car, paying off a loan. With the cancellations going on right now there are a lot of confusion and a lot of hard feelings on both sides. I know in my own band there was anger about having our shows cancelled by venues and the manager of the venue I played at last night was angry about a band cancelling on him. It's easy to say bands and venues should just understand this is an unusual situation but for an Irish band you might make half your money for the whole year around St. Patrick's day also a lot of bookings are made on terms of reputation. Whether fair or not a manager might not look kindly on a band that cancelled on them for future shows.

It's fair to call it a rationalization but that's why I'm saying I'm not promoting our shows. I've told people if they don't feel safe don't come out just to see us. It's nice to know that we can draw a crowd but it's not totally up to us how many people come out.

Pringles likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

So you held your breath and didn’t touch anything when you went to the store to hoard all your ****? Okay got it.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I don't count on music to make my livelihood but I still go to an office for my day job and have meetings. My office has a contingency plan that will involve most people telecommuting. That said there are still times especially during construction when we need to meet in person. For that matter we can't build buildings without people. I'm raising the question because the service industry is the frontline of economic damage. That doesn't mean that other fields won't be affected.

If the state shuts down venues I will fully accept that and from what I'm hearing Minnesota might take that step.

Also on a side note the other part of my life, martial arts, is also coming to grips with this. I know several Judo tournaments have been postponed and some Judo and BJJ clubs have shut down. I will note that in Minnesota yesterday there still was a BJJ tournament and there are still some of those that haven't been cancelled. I'm probably going to stop training in Judo especially since some the places I train at are shutting down.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Wish we could work from home with the blessing of the refinery.

10. Batman Jones

I didn't hoard anything today, but I did stock up at the grocery store the other day and I regret overdoing it. But I didn't suggest I was perfect, because I'm not. Nobody is asking you to be perfect, only to be reasonable.

My first post to you said it wasn't personal and it isn't. It's not about you and it's not about me. It's about everybody.

This really isn't the time for an internet debate.

11. Asian Sensation

That’s fair. Stay safe buddy.

daywalker02 and Batman Jones like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

13. Batman Jones

You too, man. :)

Asian Sensation likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't you stand in front of a big mirror like Mark Wahlberg's character in Boogie Nights, Dirk Diggler, and train that way? Just don't kick the mirror. That could be hazardous. ;-)

In all seriousness, I don't know how this is going to play out. Things may get so bad that the country damn near grinds to a halt until this Coronavirus gets under control. How long that may take is an open question.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've raised this before a few times. The cure might be worse than the disease. If the country grinds to a halt we could see many other problems, a lot of unemployed people, shortages, and rationing. If internal movement is restricted what will that mean to a society that is based on and dependent on the free movement of people and goods? Given there are still many who believe this is a hoax hyped by the media or a government takeover how accepting will those people be of draconian measures designed to control the spread of the disease.

Edit sorry this is probably better in the D&D thread.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Putting aside the last bit, Judo, it's a really serious concern. Literally, what's going to happen to the country over the next year? Heck, the two of us, me in particular, being years older than my lovely significant other, are in the highest risk category. It's driving us crazy being stuck in the house, just going out in the yard with the dog, only going somewhere when we don't think we can avoid it, and that last has pretty much ended. We're getting food and stuff delivered form the local HEB. We have two adult kids, a son living in Dallas (poor thing), and a daughter here in Austin, across town. I don't know when we'll see either one of them. Maybe not for months. Heck, the daughter in Austin doesn't drive.

I think a lot of people just don't realize how things might be, since so few have been tested, and how bad things will likely get, absent some miracle vaccine that is extremely unlikely for at least a year.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

This strategy will work like a charm after spring break return

A"health care workers and medical staff are expected to attend work as scheduled following any international travel, and they are required to self-monitor for flu-like symptoms.

If they develop symptoms, they should self-isolate and contact their health care provider or 8-1-1 to arrange for assessment. If they develop symptoms while providing care, they should immediately put a mask, finish any essential services they are providing and self-isolate."

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Got any chicken you wanna sell lol. Ridiculous I can't get freaking chicken due to this panic. It's not even for me. It's for my dog. She's diabetic and I boil it, shred it and add the broth to help with her condition. Most boxers don't live long past 9 years old and she turned 9 last month. I ended up just buying a shitload of tuna hoping this shot calms down. I can eat Ramen, i don't care but my baby girl needs this. I spoke to my parents who live in Livingston and it's all good there. So sad I have to drive 2 hours just to get food for my dog. This panic buying is ****ing ridiculous.

Pringles likes this.
  19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It isn't re-stocked quickly because when employee hits OT, the time get curbed. And some people don't want to work when it is in crisis mode. Some of them don't want to get sick which is why a lot of stores have empty shelves on crucial items. I'm sure each day will get better as stores get a better handle of this.

It felt good going on a bike ride. It wasn't as quiet as I thought, but I did see a lot less mature folks.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Where you live in town? I went to the Sprouts on Yale earlier today and there was plenty of chicken thighs.