1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

The first part of the Brexit negotiations will be the import of coffins.

If you have family or friends in the UK advise them to leave the country by all means necessary or at least to go in a cottage and hide.
    There is no salvage for this country at this point.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe you misunderstood me.

I meant a brand war between ibuprofen and acetaminophen...ie Tylenol/Panadol versus Advil/Motrin.

I'm not convinced the news malakas is linking to is on the up-and-up. Not enough sources yet, and seems it would be a major medical information campaign given that ibuprofen is widely used as fever-reducer, and anti-inflammation ... esp women.

Anyone who questions pharmaceuticals and govt operating with the same interest should demand more sources and media coverage, because this could be the massive UK company -- (GlaxoSmithKline) who sells Panadol -- buying favors....btw: they also make vaccines.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, probably not the best link but I tried to find something on that. Search on.

Maybe you meant a brand war between those companies......

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can hardly have a brand war, just ingredients' names.

Ibuprofen was not only used by women but also for kids, toddlers.

4. heypartner

isn't that what I said in my 2nd sentence, "ie Tylenol/Panadol versus Advil/Motrin"

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not understand why there should be a brand war though.....you take what is useful.

Maybe there is a war but one should not summon one, when there is none.

You could still take Ibuprofen for normal flu as other illnesses are still intact with the Corona virus going around.

They will likely take a dip in sales.

Both can still co-exist as they have pre-Covid 19.

To conclude this, I think the new and special Covid 19 drug that is going to come out, will outdo both during this crisis.

6. heypartner

quick stock bump?? ... also potentially pharma's who are attempting to make the vaccines negotiating favors in exchange for free vaccine agreements??

I mean, I could imagine even more reasons for pharmas to attempt to hurt each other's brands.

anyhoot, all I'm saying is I don't understand why there is (seemingly) only one source of this info about ibuprofen. seems fishy, if it is actually very important info for health agencies to get out to the public.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The issue here is that tylenol/panadol both do the same thing and are the same kind of drug class/chemicals where as advil/motrin are nsaid's

I think what the thought process is, is that advil (ibuprofen) limits the immune response in some cases in the lungs. Normally I'd recommend advil (ibuprofen /nsaid but not with some of the reports I've read. I'm going to try and read some old papers on other coronaviruses, because if it's correct there it'll be the same here.

#2487 CCity Zero, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  8. heypartner

that's what I said.

The info malakas is spreading is to stop using ibuprofen, and use acetaminophen

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Our head of the CDC in his today's press conference (+ 103 cases, all dead and all in critical are men average age 67) said this
    there is no clinical trial but only indications and logic but in the meantime the public should choose paracetamol to be safe.

Clinical trials and peer review studies take many weeks if not months. By the time we have the results we may be not in this world.
    Also europe uses as much paracetamol as ibuprofen. Ibuprofen medicines, is also produced by european firms.
    Ibuprofen isn't a drug of choice only for americans. My sister takes it like pills for her periods. :rolleyes:

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I guess they should have signed up for schengen amirite?

We will see how they end up compared to Italy and France.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

12. malakas

malakas Member

no that's not what you were saying. It is the opposite.
    Ibuprofen and paracetamol or acetaminophen don't work the same way in the body.
    Ibuprofen = NSAID
    Paracetamol/acetaminophen = NOT NSAID.

The directive was against using NSAID. The most common used NSAID over the counter for fever and pain relieve is ibuprofen hence they named it to avoid it. You should also avoid cortisone drugs.(for pain relief).

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

what does Shengen has to do with the criminal behaviour of their government against their citizens? :rolleyes:

14. heypartner

I ask you, please provide links to the any official annoucement that says to stop using ibuprofen. I mean, you just contradicted yourself. Yesterday you said the French warned against ibuprofen because of the effects on a few young age cases. Here you're saying age 67.

as for rest of post

we know all this wrt ibuprofen and acetaminophen. We know Europe uses both. We know women use Advil/Motrin for its ant-inflammatory properties. We know others use it for muscle pain due to working out, etc.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  15. heypartner

holy cow, that's what I said in that post you quoted. ... ibuprofen verse acetaminophen

Am I on crazy pills. sheesh

NotInMyHouse and Space Ghost like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

What?
    France and Greece are different countries.
    You said "one source" and I gave you one example of one MORE source that I have access to? Average age 67 is about GREECE not France. I think you have failed completely in comprehension but maybe it is my english.
    The advice of the greek CDC was to the public not those who are already in critical condition or dead whose age is on average 67! :rolleyes:

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Italy has certainly made mistake but I wouldn't call them criminal. Hopefully we can learn from them and change personal behaviors for the best outcomes.

jcf likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

so you are saying "why they say that NSAIDs are not recommended but paracetamol is safe, is it a drug company war? " when the category of the chemical compounds are nigth and day?

You have to wear tinfoil hat to think like this when the substances aren't even similar, don't work in the same way and have nothing to do with each other.

But carry on.

The advice is only for those who want to follow it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

right. But the UK is criminal.
    We should learn from Italy and escape their fates. Not like GB.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I got what you're saying after re-reading it and seeing other posts (sorry on that, I jumped in missing other post), I think if drug companies were doing this part on purpose though they'd be trying to use a brand that isn't made in generics at least from some of the drug classes I've taken. Like I think you'd see drug companies calling for specific drugs that are made by brand name only. Don't get me wrong I know these companies are all about money and typically I even prefer nsaids - (especially anytime a person drank a lot of alcohol the day before), but if we can find some more research it might be a good idea to consider.