1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does James Harden need to re-brand himself?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Mar 3, 2020.

?

Does James Harden need to re-brand himself?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. Maybe so

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I was having some beers with some Rocket fans who work in PR and we were chatting about how the league and major media seem to push other players to the forefront such as Giannis, Steph, Luka over James and they had an interesting observation from the PR side.

Giannis is known for: Being a winner (#1 ranked team in league), highlight reel dunks, feel good story of living in poverty in Greece and making it to the NBA, family oriented (close with his brothers) and a nice smiley personality

Steph is known for: Winning numerous championships, possibly the greatest marksmen ever in the NBA, son of a well known NBA star, team player (took a smaller salary which built the dynasty), family man (wife/kids), little guy (one of the best small guys in the league), good personality

Luka is known for: child prodigy from Europe, ridiculous stats with triple doubles, franchise player at age 20, very humble and likable person

Then we have Harden where some of this may be misguided and no question about his ability but optics/perception matters as end of the day, NBA is entertainment and the league/media/fans are drawn to charismatic people with a good story (I remember watching interviews of guys like Magic or Isaih and they can just light up a room with their presence).

Harden is known for: Free Throws/Drawing Cheap Fouls, Strip Clubs, Paying tens of thousands for hookers, not playing D, being selfish, dating Kardashians and in general isn't very articulate and doesn't seem to have a personality like the folks mentioned above

Do you think Harden needs to re-brand himself a bit? Skills wise, no question he is a top 10 player in the league but as you guys see daily from media and others, Harden does not get the same media/league/fan support as the Giannis, Steph, Lukas etc. of the world.

Ramo$e likes this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Stupid thread. Go repost on TMZ forum

3. riko

riko Member

Your trolling is getting really sad seriously get a life

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

No, he doesn't need to re-brand himself.

This isn't the WWE, where your success depends on both the owner liking you and how over you are, with the fans. The measure of a good basketball player isn't determined by how many jerseys you can sell or how many tickets people buy just to see you.

What Harden needs to do, is to watch film on how he's affecting the team and how the game affects him.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'd rather he be himself.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I don't disagree with you as that is how is SHOULD be but it is clear that the league/media promotes the Giannis, Steph and Lukas way more as evident by what several members have recently posted from ESPN and the like.

Players in many cases are the CEO of their own company (I.E. James the CEO of James Harden Inc.) and it is important how the league/media/fans perceive you as in addition to on the court benefits, there are business ramifications to this. End of the day, no one is doing any of this if it weren't to make money (league/media/team owners/players etc.)

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

But why would he need to re-brand himself? You only do so if your livelihood or success is inherently tied to the perception by other people.

If 100% of people hate James Harden, that's not going to diminish his on-court skills. Same goes for if 100% of people love him. It's not like Harden is suddenly going to become MVP Harden again just because people love him.

There is no popular vote. There is no WWE aspect of success. There is only practice, game film and hard work, in addition to all that natural talent.

8. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Why does a guy who is averaging over 35 points a season need to rebrand himself? Not to mention, he's mostly top 10 in assists every season.

You guys are foolish. If he was hitting his 3pt consistently like he normally does, you wouldn't be making these threads.

D-rock likes this.
  9. riko

riko Member

He would be. He is a troll with an agenda. Go see his Russ mvp thread

D-rock and Tfor3 like this.
  10. likestohypeguy

Like reshape hair and beard into some kind of animal shape, more tattoos in that theme, and call yourself the (something) man, kind of like bird man did?

11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

No, I would prefer some mid ranges how he had it early in his career or his some post ups like last year but I’m sure he’s saving it for the playoffs.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

He just needs to win a championship to be loved while he's still playing.

People will appreciate him way more once he's retired though regardless if he wins a ring or not.

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

prejudice n conspiracy
    yes, why not
    how do you know that, unless you're pimp
    nah, that's bullsh*t. I would rather buy insider Doug Gottlieb's words about harden's D

that's too much for a future HOF guard contributing avg 6-9 assists night in night out, putting team on his back for years in WC games, and never ever asking for load management (brick 3s do not mean he is selfish)
    it's quite personal (if you think only married guy deserves a ring, the answer is YES)

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOFs like @hikanoo49 need to find a new savior

CCity Zero, Blurr#7 and Tfor3 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

No. Just no. No. Stop. No.

Between "Is Russ the team MVP?" and now this .... Just no. Stop.

Richie_Rich, jordnnnn, Nook and 4 others like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

smoothie king's other username

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Dabeard,

I am not saying he is all those things. I am saying that is the optics what many people think and perception matters. He is one of the greatest scorers this era and I think you would agree that he hasn’t been fully embraced like giannis, steph, luka etc. by the league/media etc

1. It is clear the league/media/fans favor those guys

2. We have to then ask why

3. Many feel it is his perception (Not necessarily even skill related but how people view him)

4. We should fix it

5. By fixing it, will get a better depiction of Harden and the Rockets overall

Hardens scoring is the highest since MJ. That is big news but no where in media/league/fan base is that promoted enough

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the beard is pure. not 99 44/100, but 100

100% pure don't need additives or repackaging

CCity Zero and Blurr#7 like this.
  19. arubato

arubato Member

Steph didn’t take a paycut to build a superteam. He was injury prone that is why he never got the max until his MVP years.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How can you rebrand yourself, if the media perceives you a certain way? He could win the whole thing and it would help some of the narrative but people don't like Houston. And it's always been this way.

For example - Harden has changed the whole organization - ie the Rockets have been making it far in the playoffs (sure they lost to a historically all time great teams), but people state he choked when in reality, Wtf were we cheering for since 1997?? 1 playoff series win 1!! Yes, 1???

Harden's stats alone dwarf everything from the so-called "winners" you've mentioned - outside of Steph being insane at shooting/winning but not the MVP championship - on any championship (of course the media doesn't mention that). They also don't mention Luka openly admitting wanting to emulate Harden... Just look at the media bullshit espn had on Twitter - post of harden "travels" or some stupid **** - when it's clear 0-1-2, but lebron - clear travel 0-1-2-3- "look at that move!!!" or Giannis taking 8 steps, yeah--that's ****ing awesome, where's the backlash?

If anything people should get on board with Harden, his play style is one of a kind and his stats are the whole reason houston has advanced multiple times, it's not his fault he has to face a team that was over stacked with talent.

Also, where do you find Giannis is some winner? He looks like he fell apart being up 2-0. He's also in the Eastern Conference. But yet, the media loves him, it's most likely because he has a nation behind him - similar to Yao sometimes getting a pass. I do admit that Lakers series where he unfortunately broke his foot and it basically became career ending were a what could/should have been - maybe a championship at some point, And other than the garbage ref fix on the Dallas series, Yao only advanced past Portland.

Harden seems to want to be private, runs ball clinics for cheap around Houston, donates time/charity/money to Houston. Hell he gave money during Harvey, he's private but does a lot for the community.

Also, where do you get the impression he's not articulate?? That interview recently, seeing him at clinics, helping people at bad times - he seems very approachable and in interviews like a good guy. But yet - during the all-star game draft thing can be made fun of and then when Harden's play proves otherwise, he laughs off Giannis/Barkley joke, and then Giannis responds with some bullshit but is allowed to elbow him during the all-star game.... And then reply - all innocent "I'm just a family man" GTFO.

I'm glad harden - similar to kawhi doesn't give a **** about media narrative. When it's all said and done win it all or not - he's done more than t-mac ever did on the court, and most likely more than any rocket not named hakeem (and I realize Malone and a lot of other players did a lot, but Harden's done it unlike anyone before) But for some reason, we're listening to McGrady like he's done something... Hahha

Tl-dr - Harden's using this as fuel, getting paid and living rent free in all of these joke media people.

Who gives a damn about their perception *when you know they're copying your trends or have them having nightmares about guarding you on the court? Last time I checked a lot of media writers don't actively play ball - so who cares.

The only person I can think of - is one Kevin Durant - ie needing burner accounts for joining a team that just beat you in an epic choke, where the hell is that story?

jcf, Jake Tower, BaselineFade and 4 others like this.