1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly. I will give credit to Trump for getting a HUGE change made successfully but I do not think it is remotely an overall positive for those that actually work and do not own the means of production.

The size of the cut hits home when families realize they are essentially paying almost twenty dollars a day for it. That is a lot of money.

As for Sanders....... he is insane. While I do not doubt that there would be benefits to society with what he wants to do, the cost is so shocking that it could very well destroy the economy. I cannot image what the actual tax costs would be, the individual tax cost would have to double...... which would mean that homeowners with mortgages lose their homes, and that messes up the housing market.... people have less money to buy cars, etc. Businesses would leave the USA. For awhile everything would be absolute chaos.

Would it be better for those that live in poverty? Absolutely..... better for those that work minimum wage jobs or are on disability? Yes I think so..... would it be better for everyone else? No, I really don't think so.

joshuaao and Corrosion like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

No question people become more conservative as they age, and at the time time political parties are also adapting to keep it competitive. We can look at issues like gay marriage, when some of the older voters died; and the issue become a real negative for republican party.... they dropped it from their platform and it no longer was a hot topic. Essentially the pro-gay marriage crowd won and everyone moved onto other issues.

Typically, the parties are constantly moving on the edges to maximize election prospects. However that is hard to do with a two term president....... we saw that with Clinton and GW. However, in the case of Trump he is extremely reliant on older voters and he is very polarizing so the possible short term fall off is 2024 could be extreme.

As for 2020 I am fairly confident that Trump will be re-elected absent a complete smoking gun for impeachment (which sadly is possible) or the economy goes into a tail spin. All he has to do is avoid children in cages and overly racist comments or corruption for the months leading up to the election and he has a good shot. We also don't know what dirt will come out from the Democratic nominee. I think many of them likely would be fairly clean but Biden is an old school politician and there will be more issues that come up. Some things that were accepted 10-20 years ago no longer will be. He never should have supported his son working for the Ukrainian energy company. Was it illegal? No, but it was poor judgment.

da_juice likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Marianne Williamson appears to be on the verge of quitting the race, as she has apparently laid off her entire campaign staff.

Williamson lays off entire campaign staff

Best-selling author Marianne Williamson has laid off her entire campaign staff, according to two sources close to the campaign.

The longshot Democratic presidential hopeful will continue to seek her party’s nomination. But she’ll do so without a staff behind her. Manchester, N.H.-based television station WMUR first reported the mass layoffs on Thursday.

Still, the decision to eliminate her staff entirely suggests that she may be winding down her presidential run altogether. One former staffer said that financial pressures were behind the layoffs. Williamson raised just over $3 million in the third quarter of 2019, but spent roughly 94 percent of what she took in.

What’s more, Williamson appears almost certain to miss the next Democratic primary debate on Jan. 14. If so, it would be the fifth debate that she has failed to qualify for.​

So, she is hanging on for now, but with no staff and while not qualifying for the primaries. I have to say, if I was still in the race at this point, I would try to hang on until at least Iowa or New Hampshire. No point coming all this way and dropping out before you actually see the first votes cast.

That being said, the writing is on the proverbial wall for Williamson. She is poised to withdraw from this contest pretty soon. Personally, I am sad to see it. She was fun.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Population: You.

Anyway, if it was an American university, I'd say no problem she can still run. But signing up with a foreign university? That strikes me as a pretty strong signal that she's done with politics.

Nook likes this.
  5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

A great question for all of the Democrats still in the race:

6. JuanValdez

The form is a bit leading with the dumb way of framing the question. But, how the candidates feel about the strike is probably pretty relevant to the race. They need to be careful though about going too far trying to play armchair quarterback on foreign affairs. I'd hate for Iran (or Russia or the other powers) to get a firm idea of what the next Democratic president would do.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

They need to be consistent with their response when Obama ordered similar strikes.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Because it wasn't a similar strike! There's a world of difference between drone striking an Anwar al-alwaki or a Taliban leader in butt **** nowhere versus killing the leader of an organized military group formally recognized by a government that- if not friendly- is largely recognized as the government of a foreign country.

9. JuanValdez

Why is that?

Also, I don't know of any assassination akin to this one.

joshuaao and da_juice like this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Iowa Caucuses are four weeks from tomorrow, and as of today, Bernie Sanders leads in the state polls for both of the first two primary contests in the RCP Poll Average.

Iowa
    22.0 - Sanders
    21.7 - Buttigieg
    20.3 - Biden
    15.3 - Warren
    07.0 - Klobuchar

New Hampshire
    22.7 - Sanders
    18.7 - Biden
    17.7 - Buttigieg
    14.7 - Warren
    04.0 - Klobuchar

If Sanders wins both of these first two contests, the Bernie Bros are going to go off like a Fourth of July fireworks display. And this race is going to be ON.

Meanwhile, in the national polls (which will change after the first two contests above), Joe Biden is still in the lead by almost 10 points. Sanders is next and Warren is third, as she seems to maintain about the same 14-15% in all three of these poll averages. She is consistent in any case.

National

29.3 - Biden
    19.9 - Sanders
    14.4 - Warren
    07.7 - Buttigieg
    05.6 - Bloomberg

Mayor Pete falls off a lot outside of the first two states. But who is that at number five in the national poll? Why it is multi-billionaire former Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg. Both of these two seem like they are second tier competitors at this point, but we might as well continue to keep an eye on them.

Is anyone 'feeling the Bern' here yet? It is getting late and it looks like Bernie Sanders is making his move. So everyone better watch out!

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bloomberg must have a ton of closet supporters. Steyer, too, to some degree. I’ve yet to encounter somebody that’s openly supporting either candidate.

Granted, this is all anecdotal on my end.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Can you imagine the backlash against any Democrat of note who DARED to publicly admit that they are supporting Bloomberg? Backlash, hell. The frontlash. Brutal would not even begin to cover it. The radical left distinguishes themselves by their nastiness towards people who refuse to submit and comply.

So those people supporting Bloomberg are moderates who want to have a chance to govern from more towards the middle and who want their candidate to be able to make a plausible case to sane, thinking, uncommitted voters who really are around the middle of the 'spectrum'. I don't know how many voters that actually is, but you can see where a lot of these silent, thinking moderate types might want a candidate who appeals in that way.

Bloomberg is the Democrat's best option for that, in my opinion. Then comes Klobuchar and then Biden. And that is it. Period. The rest are just too far left or carry other baggage that makes them look they probably are not really plausible general election competitors.

In the same way, anytime you see a public approval poll for Trump, add 10 points to it, for the same reason. There are a lot of people who support Trump who will vote for him, who are maintaining a low profile. Until election day, that is, where the ballot is still a secret ballot.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bernie kicking ass Liz hasn't earned anything.

Rashmon likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Blue on blue on blue. Great work graphics team.....

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Michael Bloomberg, mingling with the peasants and taking regard of the "Barbecue" that he is now apparently expected to eat. LOL.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Reminds me of the SNL skit with Sudeikis playing Mitt Romney and pretending like he’s ever eaten at a “Mack Donalds”.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lol. at least he isnt native new yorker trump eating pizza with a fork!

[​IMG]

and kfc with fancy silverware!
    [​IMG]

and a burrito bowl for cinco de mayo!
    [​IMG]

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

perhaps a glimpse of how Bloomberg could make a real run at it . . . the main candidates blow all their money early and Bloomberg sweeps down and starts dropping some real money

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/06/democrats-post-super-tuesday-scramble-093743

excerpt:

Democrats are now beginning to confront a very real scenario where the nomination — and the winnowing — will not be decided in states where campaigns have been plowing ground for more than a year, but in places and calendar dates so deep into primary season that until recently they’ve received almost no attention at all.

The Iowa field is bunched together with little daylight between a handful of well-funded candidates. Each of the four early voting states continues to present the prospect of a different winner. And, at the end of that gauntlet on Super Tuesday, a free-spending billionaire — Michael Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor — is waiting to challenge whichever candidate or candidates emerge.​

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All of these analysts base their theories on the believe that Joe Biden isn't going to win.

It's more plausible that Biden wins Iowa, SC and Nevada and basically ends the nominating process than it is that there is total chaos and Bloomberg gets to swoop in there is a divided convention.

Every one of these theories is built on this idea that sooner or later Biden will fade.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

Gotta say, from my angle it feels like Biden is getting stronger. I thought he would fade and he hasn't.

Also, even if the early votes are divided, I'm still not convinced that the nomination can be simply bought.

justtxyank likes this.