1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Current Era Of Rockets 'At Stake With This Season'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 15, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not 100 percent though because Tilman did sanction Harden's biggest wish that is Westbrook.
    He is a poor owner, yes.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

J Sizzle be all like

Abigail-was-10-when-she-appeared-in-the-flick-409729.jpg

J Sizzle and daywalker02 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While the refs would try impede us, the Playoffs are a tournament, no telling what will happen once JH, WB and some role player go off barring injuries.

Finals ain't impossible with GSW outta the picture.

Rox would have to play great D for 4 quarters.

We should reboot even if we win the whole darn NBA postseason........two years after that.

#63 daywalker02, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    J Sizzle likes this.
  4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Yes the GSW were the only team who knocked out for the last few years... but it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t have continued to evolve/improve our roster & gameplan.

‘running it back’ looks to have run it’s course.

daywalker02 and BaselineFade like this.
  5. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That plan does not exsist with acquiring Westbrook. As soon as we got him the plan is to ride with him and Harden for the next 3 years.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think it's fair to say that we are locked into Westbrook and Harden for several more years. if we can't make it work, it's not overstating it to say that the current era is at stake. That's why i want to see more creativity out of MDA, more discipline out of Russ, and more sacrifice out of James. That's the only thing that's gonna make this work.

IvanLCPM, Gray_Jay and D-rock like this.
  7. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

No **** Sherlock. I’m pretty sure anybody could have told you this. In other news, the sky is blue.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think there’s a lot of anger at him for wanting to stay under the luxury tax last year. I’m not sure it’s justified frankly. It’s not like Les went over the luxury tax. I’m not sure where that false memory comes from.

I actually believe him when he says he’s given DM the green light to go over the LT... assuming it’s a legit championship squad and they’re not hitting the LT every year. To the extent that’s the directive, it seems as much in DM as ownership. DM has a directive... it’s one that you absolutely can win a championship ship with, and they’re where they’re at.

Again ... at this point you just put 3&D defenders around Harden/Russ and it’s not rocket science.

Bear in mind the article says “if” they don’t make a Finals run. So again, IF they don’t make a Finals run it means they’ve underperformed again or the roster is still lacking or MDA is still benign outcoached, etc.

Recall they also made the WCF with Kevin McHale.

I’m not sure the pushback on the MDA contract talks as well. The guy has had success at half of his stops not everything he touches turns to gold. What’s more, this concept of extending coaching contracts just because makes no sense to me. Unless it’s absolutely the coach you want long term. Rockets weren’t sure - and hard to blame them for that... the team consistently is worse offensively in the playoffs and can’t play defense.

As for Harden demanding a trade. For one, he’s not that type of cat. Which doesn’t mean he won’t do it, but it won’t be a contentious exit ala TMac or even AD. IF that happens, and it won’t until at least after NEXT year (Harden trying new regime out a year), you move him and get value. Frankly it would definitely be near a point you’d want to consider that anyway. Just is what it is.

In short... the general idea here is that if Harden, who most on here b**** and moan if he isn’t voted the MVP every year, can’t make the Finals AGAIN... then real changes need to be made. And I have no idea why that would be contentious?

joshuaao, caneks and J.R. like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Current era is not at stake. :D:rolleyes: Dramatic Woj. :rolleyes:

Harden & Westbrook will still be here, even if Daryl and/or Mike are not.
    James is probably going to retire a Rocket and will have his number retired.
    James has the franchise in his hands.
    James isn't a MOF like some of you. "If Daryl's gone, I'm gone! I'm outta here!"

Leslie Alexander era
    July 1993-September 2017

Daryl Morey era
    May 2007-present

Rick Adelman era
    2008-2011

Kevin McHale era
    2012-2016

Mike D'Antoni era
    2017-2020

Yao & Tracy era
    June 2004-February 2010

'Do not tank' era
    March 2010-October 2012

Harden era
    October 2012-present

Harden & Howard era
    July 2013-July 2016

Harden & CP3 era
    June 2017-July 2019

Harden & Westbrook era
    July 2019-present

Tilman Fertitta era
    October 2017-present

Current era at stake :rolleyes:

Westbrook: Under contract 2 more years after this + 47M player option
    Harden: Under contract 2 more years after this + 47M player option
    Capela: Under contract 3 more years
    Gordon: Under contract 3 more years + final year possibly non-guaranteed
    House: Under contract 2 more years

Nene: Non-guaranteed 2020-21 salary
    Tucker: Partially guaranteed 2020-21 salary
    Rivers: Player Option
    McLemore: Non-guaranteed 2020-21 salary
    Clark: Non-guaranteed 2020-21 salary
    Hartenstein: Non-guaranteed 2020-21 salary

Green: Not under contract
    Sefolosha: Not under contract
    Chandler: Not under contract

Frazier: 2-way
    Clemons: 2-way

D-rock and LFE171 like this.
  10. TimV

TimV Member

Yeah, NBA teams are desperate to clear cap space to pursue this year's top free agent class, consisting of DeMar DeRozan, Brandon Ingram, Evan Fournier, and Montrezl Harrrell. If only the Rockets had a big expiring.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What would an era break-up actually mean? For example, how many teams would be able/interested in folding Harden's style + salary into their program? PHX? Sac? Minnie? Wiz? Chi? Det? Knixies??? Assuming that list is the list then formulate a 'new era' deal.

What about Russ? Perhaps even more difficult.

Then, how do you take remaining pieces and place them into a 'new era' concept.

Who is your coach? And who is the GM, a legit or a son?

I believe the future is the great unknown. But, with new franchise ownership there is always a great unknown. It's just 'our' unknown comes w/a grandiose groan...

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Brandon Knight faints

13. napalm06

There is absolutely zero way that it would be difficult to trade Harden. Cmon man. He's also the one person on this team that probably wouldn't be traded, though if we are really declaring the era over, maybe we got the fire sale button.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN Woj is a hack.

:D

11/14 to 18/9

Relax...

15. napalm06

Nailed it. This is the open secret story of the 2019 Rockets season.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There's rumors out there (just a friend of mine with secondhand information) that Tillman has earmarked the GM position for his son. Morey with his China thing just set the wheels in motion for that process to begin sooner than it otherwise would.

Nothing flagrant has happened yet with Tilman, but there are red flags all over the place that we could be dealing with a Dolan-level owner here. Les was cheap but he wasn't dumb. He knew what he didn't know, and he got out of the way of the people in charge, except for when it came to pushing through trades for big name stars.

Tilman has forced Morey to get under the cap last year, and he is forcing him to toe the line this year. The radio interviews he's given have shown scary signs, like him saying that "the analytics department got cold feet" at the end of the Harden WB negotiations, and he had to step in to force the deal through.

So much has changed since I first joined Clutchfans in 2007. If Morey and MDA depart after this season, we are 100% headed for some dark years. I'm at a totally different phase of my life now than I was 12 years ago. I'm in a different city and looking at getting married and having kids in the next two years. If Tillman is this malignant a narcissist, and his behavior is holding the franchise back, then he will have assumed the Drayton McLane role for me, where I can't in good conscience support the team until he is out as the owner. The Rockets as a lifetime franchise won't lose me, just as the Astros circa 2006 did not even when we could tell we were in for a decade of pain after Hunsicker quit. But, my kids? What reason would they have to support a bottomfeeder team with a malignant narcissist as owner?

Not sounding good folks.

P.S. From what I've heard, Tillman's son is one of the dumbest pieces of flesh that can be allowed to be called a human. With the best tutors in all the land he still could only get into Ole Miss, and even then he had a tutor flown out to Oxford, MS, living across the street from the kid, and even then he almost flunked out of school.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rockets have been going "all-in" now for the past 3 years without biting the luxury tax. If you're not going to pay the tax, at least don't label yourself as being win-now, all-in, etc. Just brand it as trying to have a long term competitive process instead. 2 years ago if we added some depth so LMM's injury wouldn't have hurt us so much, perhaps could've beaten the Warriors. Last year similar thing, could've added some depth pieces and that may let us at least get past the Warriors and reach the finals. Clearly the team isn't doing all it can to win.

malakas likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

If Morey and MDA go, then we are ****ed and it's time to say goodbye to many fans I think. Tilman is a piece of **** that will ruin this organisation, on Trump level of stupidity with the same treatment of their children. Spoiled freaking brats in positions they should never be.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hard to imagine Tilman being any more of a disappointment, but making his son the GM would pretty much hurdle that mark.

Nepotism bullshit.

20. vick

vick Member

I think if the Rockets do not beat the Spurs by 30 points tonight, then Turn out the Lights the Parties over. If the Rockets have any Pride, they will destroy the Spurs tonight. Show the NBA you have a pair of Nuts.

LFE171 likes this.