1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denied: Rockets lose protest of Spurs game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

I’m not surprised by this. When the goons decide they want to rig a game do you think they will go back and undo their intentional errors? Of course not. The NBA is a fraud and I’m glad I no longer watch their games. I still partake in clutch fans because I love this forum and the fans here.

2. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Rockets and the NBA are now even, the NBA is wishing they didn't have to use their leverage so soon.

Jontro likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We played 58 minutes of basketball, and you want about 18 of those minutes to be voided and replayed because of this screw-up that only marginally affected the probability of the Rockets losing when it occurred. Is this fair to the fans in San Antonio who paid tickets to watch a full NBA game, and not just the first 40 minutes of it, plus 18 minutes of what effectively turns into exhibition play? Is it fair to the Spurs players, who overcame a big lead, made some huge plays down the stretch to get the game into OT, and win in OT, only to be told later that their effort doesn't count?

If you want to say that what happened is not fair, fine, but I have to ask what counts as fair for a situation like this? It's not an easy question to answer, in my view.

TheFreak likes this.
  4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Fine, you don’t want to replay anything, just tack the two points on to the final score. If these two points are so irrelevant to the game outcome, then adding it to the Rockets’ final score shouldn’t matter, by your (and the NBA’s) logic.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . .. we can F*ck you over . . ..as long as there is time for you to overcome the f*ck up.
    So . . . basically. . . IF I f*ck you over in the first three quarters by say . . .. giving your best player 5 fouls
    You had an whole quarter to over come it. . . so you should be ok

Rocket River

Patience, Blurr#7 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Fairness isn't all-or-nothing you know. There are degrees.

For instance...

Less Fair: Incorrectly deducting two points from a team's total, contributing to them losing the game.

More Fair: Doing the right thing and correctly putting back two earned points that were incorrectly deducted from the losing team's total, causing the team who benefited from the incorrect call to lose or replay the game.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

#metoo

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we lost by 3 in regulation I could say ok
    but
    IT actually affected the final score

Rocket Rive

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's a fair point.

It comes down to my initial reaction when we lost the game, which was that the Rocket had no business losing that game regardless of the mess up on the challenge. So, my feeling then is that they deserved the loss just on the basis of how they finished the game. It was careless and sloppy. Probably this is influencing my assessment of what is "fair" here. I kind of feel all involved parties got what they deserve.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I actually agree, from a basketball perspective, the rockets blew the game and deserve an L. So, I'm fine that that occurred. However, I'm not happy that the NBA has taken on more of a parent like role over teams instead of strictly adhering to the rules. On 2 occasions now with the rockets they have just done what "seems" right as opposed to applying the rules or precedent as they are. There will be a game in the future where it "seems" right to replay the end of the game and this will confuse things.

As, with governments, it is practical that they evenly apply the rules and precedents instead if what feels right

12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You’re going way out to try to prove you’re “impartial”
    It’s really simple.
    Did the ball go thru the basket? Yes
    Did the two points change the last 7 or even 11 seconds like you suggested? Yes
    You can’t take away a made basket. Regardless of the outcome. Why e we not they award the points? Answer me that?

ElPigto likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly what I think. The reason they give makes no sense at all.

"You have more than 7 minutes to make our mistake go away. Why didn't you?" Why are the Rockets responsible to fix the refs' mistake?

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and Blurr#7 like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WESTBROOK HATERS HAVE GONE HOME AND ARE OUT OF A JOB

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why does it even matter that the Rockets blew the lead? If it was a close game and the Rockets ended up losing in the OT, then the two points would have mattered? What kind of logic is that?

Richie_Rich and Patience like this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

@durvasa

Do you think a coach plays his hand differently if his team is down 10 points compared to down 8 points when the opposing teams secures possession starting at 1:35 left on the clock?

Also, in your opinion, how much more difficult is it to overcome a 4 possession game compared to a 3 possession game while on defense with a minute and a half left? What do you think the probability difference is between the 2?

Also, please explain to me why 2 points not being registered at the 1st minute of the game is different than the last minute of the game when it comes to the final score?

Also, please explain to me why this would be different if for some reason they can roaring back in the 3rd and it was a tie game when this happened?

For someone so smart you sure have been missing the forest for the trees @durvasa .

You've focused way too much on context and not enough on the issue.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An absurd outcome. The idea that we had "every opportunity" to win in regulation, therefore, the 2 points do not matter is ridiculous. Tell you what. Add 2 points to the score of the Rockets before the tip off of the next game against the Spurs in several months. That would be "fair," using the same logic. After all, the Spurs will have an entire game in which to overcome those 2 points, so if they lose, it's their own damn fault. Correct? Yes, that makes perfect sense. Also, what, exactly was the punishment for those refs? In the game involving Shaq about 11 years ago, they were fined several thousand dollars and suspended from refereeing for 5 games, if memory serves. What was the consequence here? If the league said what it was, I must have missed it.

Fair? Bull ****.

18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We all felt like that Durv, that doesn’t change the blatant FU by the NBA. Did we deserve to win? No but the Spurs didn’t need help.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

called it. Props to all the believers that the NBA will actually side with the Rockets.

20. Voltik

Voltik Member

The NBA is a corrupt and non competitive product. This isn’t competitive sports and more in line with WWE matches. The NBA response is pathetic and childish like the media and not how a governing body should act.

The ball went inside the hoop cleanly and there are 3 blind mice that should NEVER miss a made basket.

J.R. and Richie_Rich like this.