1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 games in do we still luv WB?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Nov 24, 2019.

?

How are you feeling about Westbrook?

1. I'm very happy with WB, I believe we can wing a championship with him.

36 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. WB is solid, not sure if we will win a ring, but WB helps

117 vote(s)
    52.7%
  3. WB is terrible, we will never win a ring with him, he needs to go

69 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

2. today

today Contributing Member

The last few games have really frustrated me. The amount of "stupid" decisions (jumpshots, passes, dribbling turnovers) in the 4th quarter has reinforced to me that he is who I thought he was when we made this trade: A "loser". There are players that in crunch time, make winning decisions. On the whole, Westbrook is the opposite, just like we saw in OKC.

I love a lot of the things he brings to the table: energy, rebounding, pushing the pace, slashing/dishing

But he hasn't shown any improvement in his decision making in crunchtime. Given this fact, I don't think we can win a championship with him.

I wish that we would see a Westbrook who is in the gym shooting 500 3-pointers each day, not shooting midrange jumpers, not jumping to pass, not the primary ball handler in crunchtime and eliminating his poor decisions. With that Westbrook, we could win a championship.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

VERY GOOD!

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL HARDEN CAN WIN CHAMPIONSHIP WITH ANYBODY....

5. dmoneybangbang

I think we are fine considering our wildly inconsistent shooting.

DreamShook and amaru like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

Westbrook is who I thought he was before the trade. A highly emotional, hard working player. Sometimes he tries to do too much considering his limitations. Ideally that’s where the coaching staff, and Harden, would reel him in. Hasn’t happened to this point though.

7. today

today Contributing Member

This is what I don't understand... Is Russ just blatantly disregarding them? Or have they not said anything to him?

smp and amaru like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

creating for others is a plus, and then he brings a whole ton of negatives...you’re talking as if people are saying he brings nothing positive to the table...his bricking and bad decisions are a huge anchor for this team, or I guess we’re gonna act like 7-30 or 7-27 with 8 turnovers isn’t all that bad because he got rebounds and some fastbreak buckets

We put a lot of stock in efficiency because it’s important. Was Rondo shooting 20 times a night? Was he shooting 6 threes a game on barely 20% shooting? No, he wasn’t.

Yeah, and Giannis realizes his shooting is weak so he primarily operates in the paint. He can do this because of his length and athleticism. Simmons knows he can’t shoot from outside so he doesn’t. Russ will continue to take jumpers like he can actually shoot. It doesn’t matter how much he bricks or how trash his efficiency becomes. If Giannis and Simmons were taking all these jumpers, then they’d be falling right into the defenses hands, but they don’t. Westbrook does all the time.

Westbrook wishes he had Kobe’s jumper or Kobe’s efficiency. Westbrook is at 48% TS. He was at 50% last year, and 52% the year before. Kobe didn’t reach these atrocious injuries until after his Achilles injury in his mid-30s.

Lmao, this has gotta stop. Stop trying to bring up Harden. Harden is averaging 38 a game on elite efficiency. His net rating is overwhelmingly positive. The team is much better when he’s on the court. Could u say the same for Russ? No, not with a straight face. That is why Harden bashing Harden for the occasional bad game is nonsense. We would be utter trash without him. Harden is making up for Russ’s trash play.

jordnnnn and YOLO like this.
  9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I love him lol

amaru likes this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

I’d bet that they really haven’t said anything. The lack of play calling when Russ is leading the second unit says it all. MDA treats Russ like he’s a prime CP3 or a mini Harden when he just isn’t.

You HATE to see it!

smp likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But he rebounds and pushes the pace!!!

harold bingo and Reeko like this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I genuinely do not understand how some of y’all keep defending this dude as if he helps the team. Lmao.

A few extra rebounds do not offset incompetent offense.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

this board would be on suicide watch if cp3 was here putting up the abysmal numbers westbrick is putting up. it's just crazy how much people try to convince themselves otherwise. it's terrible

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For those who doubt how bad Westbrook has been and for those who believe Westbrook is actually coachable....

Take a listen

https://www.theringer.com/2019/12/6/20999372/nba-check-in-with-royce-young-ryen-russillo-podcast

Royce Young spent years fellating Westbrook as he was THE guy who covered OKC. But he pretty much explains who Westbrook is in this podcast.

Some tidbits

They go over all his essentially career worst numbers.

He has definitely been told over and over and over that he doesn’t shoot well and areas to avoid shooting. And when they would review tape and tell him this his response would be “ at that moment I knew I was going to make it”

He is probably the greatest rebounding guard ever, but OKC and it’s players absolutely gifted him all the rebounds they could

Several mentions. And I mean several mentions that “Russ is gonna be Russ”

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

96% of this website clowned Westbrook for like 4 years. He’s now playing worse than he did those 4 years. And now people are acting like he’s the missing piece and an upgrade over CP3?

Geez...gonna be a long 4 years of this contract. Sorry Daryl...

jordnnnn likes this.
  17. smp

smp Member

This is what I’d like to know as well. Everyone is assuming one way or the other.

I read an article where Westbrook, Harden, Rivers, MDA, and Morey were all interviewed. My interpretation of it:

Westbrook said he could fit with anyone. Doesn’t think he needs to change his shot selection.

Harden said he and Westbrook would figure it out.

Rivers said MDA is fun to play for because he will let you do whatever you want.

MDA said he doesn’t want to change Russ and instead, he wants Russ to be Russ.

Morey was where it got interesting. Morey started to say that he expects Westbrook to become more efficient and he was about to say “change” but stopped mid thought. Then he backtracked and said something like “become better” because every guard plays better under MDA.

So these are public statements. What’s being said behind closed doors is what we really need to know. That will tell us who deserves the most blame.

Is it MDA really giving Westbrook the green light and just telling Russ to be Russ?

Or is MDA telling him to dial it back but Russ won’t listen because he knows better?

Does Morey think the organization can change Westbrook?

Here’s the link: https://theundefeated.com/features/rockets-russell-westbrook-finally-wants-to-change-but-can-he/

It’s a very interesting dynamic going on here.

#277 smp, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    amaru and J Sizzle like this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

Morey’s days are numbered after the China incident

19. amaru

amaru Member

Telling any plan to “reign it in” implies that you have an alternative course of action for that player. Does it appear that MDA has an alternative COA for a Westbrook to follow? I think it’s painfully obvious that he doesn’t.

smp likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Listen to the podcast I posted above you. The guest Royce Young has covered and followed Westbrook for years in OKC.

He says coaching has gone over his shot selection with him for years.

Westbrook’s response “at that moment I knew I was going to make it”

amaru and smp like this.