1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

[​IMG]
    Not sure this dude's actions can be reasoned

Houstunna, steddinotayto and mick fry like this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

To be fair I’m almost 100% sure Bauer is just ****ing around with Bregman there.

sew, awc713 and RustyHarden like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s times like this that it really helps to have cut off ESPN and the like completely.

4. conquistador#11

I wonder if Bauer does the videos himself. I like this dude. First it was Beuller's day off theme song. Now he uses the Xfiles theme song.Grand!
    My fave response to his video though:

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

So I guess they installed a camera in Yankee Stadium so they were able to take 2/3 at home. And at Dodger Stadium. And I guess they installed it in the wrong park in the WS cuz the road team won each game.

Puss In Booty likes this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

Ya know, this reminds me of how every time the national broadcasters (of which Ken Rosenthal is a part) get off on some tangent about sign stealing and sign obfuscation (which they do EVERY game), their MLB-approved cameramen then immediately zoom straight on in to a close up of the catcher's crotch to watch him putting out the signs for the next pitch. Did they just steal signs for the batting team on that pitch? Yeah, it's not communicated for immediate benefit, but it probably makes the pitching team have to once again redefine their signs. With high resolution video, you can probably deconstruct dozens of signs just be reviewing footage after a game even without Crotchcam. Oh, but that's not sullying the purity of the game with technology, because they have media badges.

Cameras are everywhere. It's the technological age we live in. You want to communicate secretly? You're going to have to use some technology to do it. You can't stop a flood by posting a sign forbidding water to come into the neighborhood or into your house.

AznH-TownFan and Gray_Jay like this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

The difference in outrage between Osuna's employment with the Astros, and the Yankees extending Chapman, strikes me as a perfect example of what you're saying. Are the MLB, or other media, employees covering the Yankees constantly tweeting DV hotline numbers, or always mentioning the criminal history of Yankees' players when covering the team?

I understand mentioning the issue once. Like Morey did with Hong Kong and its protests. If Morey made his official media a soapbox for non-employment related issues, I'd say discipline him as well.

Houstunna and steddinotayto like this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Who is Josh? And WTF?!

That comment by 'Josh' had better have some proof attached to it. What a horrible slur to throw at someone. I deleted that part of your quote, as I'm not comfortable repeating such accusations without proof.

If he can't back up his accusation, I hope Fiers sues him for every dime he ever thinks of owning.

LonghornFan and moonsh0t like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean...look at what happened with the Red Sox.

The outrage wasn't this, most people just joked about it and moved on, and that system seemed a lot more complex than what we were doing.

Houstunna and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

This is a league whose first attempt at replay review involved piping 1080p video into 720p screens in the hallway behind the plate. A league that has the technology to measure and post detailed stats on exit velocity, spin rate, and launch angle of every moving ball immediately, but still has no clue where the strikezone is. A league that allows review of home runs but doesn't have the camera angles to actually tell where the ball hit. A league that doesn't film in sufficient frame rates to clearly tell safe and out calls.

Like I've said before, I watch a number of Youtube channels run by normal guys that work out of their house that have better technology than MLB does. They film things from half a dozen different angles, oftentimes at thousands of frames per second for an investment of a few thousand dollars. MLB is the second biggest revenue sport in the world. For one year of Gerrit Cole's future salary, it could probably solve with technology every problem it has in every ballpark in the league.

Jake Tower and Gray_Jay like this.
  12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I wonder if some of it is due to 'flyover hatred', in addition to Astros employees insulting people who "purchase ink by the barrel"? It can't be due to dislike of haughty, arrogant Saber-types: the Red Sox weren't this disliked when they had Theo. It isn't due to employing domestic violence offenders. See, the Yankees with Chapman, and I'm sure there are others. It isn't due to cheating: Apple watches, employees in the stands for other teams, etc...

I'm running out of reasons why the Astros should uniquely be the subject of the Two Minutes of Hate.

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Completely agree. They'd probably make money on the deal, if adopting the technology you mention meant MLB could fire 80 percent or more of the umpires.

14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

NY media doesn’t like it when you eliminated their team twice in last 3 years to reach the World Series. They’re ok with losing to Boston because they think Boston are on same level playing field. We and the rest of the AL are inferior to them.

If I’m MLB, I would investigate Alex Cora and Red Sox as well. He was standing right next to AJ during the 17 season.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only the New York media, but the LA media is and has always been entitled. They feel like they were robbed of a WS and whenever they lose in any sport they feel like it was taken from them.

That year we pissed off the NY and LA media, so they are going to poke and prod this fire for as long as they can.

#175 JayGoogle, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

I don’t agree with the whole “we won so I don’t care” approach. Cheating is egregious. Everyone is trying to get competitive advantages, I get that, but going beyond the rules is not acceptable.

That said, I do agree with the “everyone cheats to some extent, but this isn’t nearly as morally reprehensible as the media is making it out to be” stance. The Astros aren’t the only team trying to bend the rules. We were just the ones who got caught, and even our level of culpability is suspect. They key word that is entirely missed by the media is ALLEGEDLY. No one has found any cameras or videos. All there is is Jomboys video (Which is suspect for sure), and Fiers statements. Lets let the investigation continue and see what happens. If hackling another teams computers merits a lost pick or two, than so be it. That should be our penalty. But the notion that our title is tainted or should be rescinded...that’s just silly.

msn, elrond, htwnbandit and 2 others like this.
  17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We need to hear from Evan Gattis on this. He was the one at the plate in the video in question. He can't just remain silent. I would assume he would be interviewed as part of the investigation.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Odds are he would say what Beltran said.

Truth is, even if something is going on, I'm sure there's a code amongst players... as well as future possible teams... that expects these things to stay in-house. Its part of what made the steroids scandal so problematic... and then when guys like Canseco come forward with cash-grab tell-all's, they're black-balled from the sport altogether.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. SemisolidSnake

Kron Technologies should get in on this. "Hi, I'm the Chronos 2.1 high speed camera. I only cost $5000. I can film in 1080p at 1000 fps. Youtubers with no professional training have been using my older brother for years now making videos that put Discovery Channel to shame."

"P.S. Oh, Fox, I saw that thing you did during the playoffs where you did kind of a simulated bullet time thing with the batters. That's cute. Recently, 72 of my buddies got together in a circle and did this...probably cheaper..."

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.