1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Dantoni is a good coach but he’s awful in terms of managing a game. He should be a top assistant. Promote someone else...

Gakatron, Jontro, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Totally ridiculous strategy to allow a guard size player to play a 7 footer for multiple possessions. Iah us this way now when we play small so that it will be clear that we need to use it when it makes sense and it does not and never will make sense in the 4th quarter of games everyb

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike D'Antoni Believes Rockets' Title Window Has At Least 2-3 More Years

The Houston Rockets have been a title contender since 2015 when they reached the Western Conference Finals and some have speculated how much longer that window will be open now that James Harden is 30.

"It's open," said Mike D'Antoni. “James is just 30 and he’s in the height of his power. He’s getting better every year. … His whole focus is winning a championship and that’s what he’s going after. Just the little time I’ve been with Russ, same thing. Can it last longer than two years, three? I don’t know, I don’t think anybody knows. But there’s no reason James isn’t like this for another two, three years.”

D'Antoni is coaching without a contract for the 20-21 season as he was unable to agree to an extension with the Rockets.

Harden can become a free agent in 2022.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What's crazy is I know the players like him a lot... but to win a championship we need a great in game adjustment type coach.

Jontro likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my point is his psyche. you can't play him 35min a game because he gets "tired". he'll often make 2 consecutive FT's early in a game, but never in the clutch. as an on-court leader, he is perhaps the least likely candidate in the entire league. on the contrary, he has to be constantly coddled and pumped up by teammates. all this being said, i also agree he's not the only reason we lost to the bucks and we'd surely benefit from having a bigger PF next to him

BaselineFade and Jontro like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But my point is your saying something. Then trying to use data to back it up when the data isn’t in your favor.

He played 33.6 mpg last year. That’s basically Rudy Gobert’s high.

He shot 63% from the line last year. That’s higher than Shaq ever did. Shaq also couldn’t hit free throws in the clutch. Heck most players are worse in the clutch. Does that mean their psyche sucks too?

I’m also not sure why you consider him an all court leader. He’s never been that and never will be?

As far as being pumped up... I find it kind of ridiculous. When guys are trying to “pump” him up on the bench I don’t actually think it does. He doesn’t come out and play “bigger”. You can’t make an apple an orange. I’d rather they pump him up by telling him when he’s under the basket with a bigger Center’s behind him and another defender nearby there’s no reason to play big. You’re not going to dunknthat and unlikely to score. What would work there For example is some cutting so his teammates get open. Instead since all they know how to do is spacing that doesn’t happen.

I wish our leaders would stop trying to “pump” up Clint and instead move off the ball.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

the anthony needs to grow his mustache again and regain his superpower

MrSabotage, hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He still has the 'D' in The Anthony. Virility.

Jontro likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Coach gets the most out of what he had and has. System & player. At the expense of the win, at times. He will not make any adjustments even when most think they are obviously needed. We play our game within the system and rotation set forth. Change if any only happens after several weeks. Win or lose we stick to the same plan. Give James Harden space to work and stay out of his way has been the plan.

Jontro likes this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

He is not taking assistant job.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

He means if he can’t win rings, someone else can?
    Mda And his agent have zero confidence to win rings. They don’t like bonus contract.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Morey has to trade for top defenders for him.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he played 33.6 mpg last year and his defensive metrics cratered compared to the previous season. pringles can't play him more than that due to these fastly diminishing returns

and as far as i remember, shaq actually did hit FT's in the clutch (albeit at a later age than clint currently is). in any case, most players do not shrink like capela, no.

there's really not much else he can do offensively besides sprinting up the court or parking on the baseline for a lob. his skills are so raw (can't dribble or shoot past 3ft) that anything else is going to most likely result in a wasted possession. but i acknowledge and accept this. my issue is when he tries to avoid contact with weak finishes instead of taking the contact to the defender first. and defensively giving up wide open perimeter looks because he's too scared of getting crossed up and left in cement. and of course his stubborn refusal to box out. these are all the hallmarks of a p***y.

Elephant810 likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can’t win the title without a substantial Center or Wing upgrade, specifically defensively. Clippers, Bucks, 76ers, and Lakers all match up extremely well against us.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The whole team was worse offensively.
    Might have something to do with the lack of JeffB, the addition of Melo, the loss of Ariza, the subtraction of Melo, the addition of JeffB, etc.

As for Shaq... no he didn’t make them when it counted lol. If you google the closest analysis you can find it shows a season where Shaq shot 43% in non clutch situations and closer to 50% in clutch situations. So he sucked slightly less - in that one season. Conversely he was a worst ft shooter in the playoffs.

Clint is limited. That’s the point. He’s paid like a limited center that can nonetheless do some things. He’s not paid like Embiid or Jokic or Harden.

Does he box our all the time? No. He’s not a top 10 rebounder in nba history. But he was a top 10 rebounder last year. If we’re complaining about rebounding Clint is not the problem there.

Taking the contact to the defender and using the word p***y is hallmark signs of just spouting crap to spout crap. I much rather he learn to score around the contact then try and go through it. If we’re going to aspire for him to be something he can’t be - least he’s more likely to be Hakeem like and pump fake then Shaq like and go through people. He’s Tyson Chandler in build. Tall and relatively slender.

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Agreed but luckily it was the first game of the year and despite the loss, I came away more encourage than not. Hopefully, D’Antoni learns, but its doubtful. Also as douchey as Tilman is, he’s passionate about winning and If D’Antoni’s in game management decisions become a trending topic, Tilly is the type of guy who will fire his ass (which is probably why they didnt reach an extension).
    We really need to bring back JVG. He’s smart AF, demands respect, makes good decisions, and actually uses his resources. Shoot, under JVG, Tyson Chandler could be the second coming of Dikembe’s last years...

#336 Elephant810, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Agreed but I’m just saying he would be better suited as an assistant vs head coach.

#337 Elephant810, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Capela is fine. He destroys most of the rest of the league in the Rockets’ system. We do need a big that can shoot though to compliment him. Someone like an Ibaka.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Ok. I agree that D'Antoni has huge flaws but ... I don't see a better alternative in the market. Houston is in a winning now stage, we cannot afford to experiment with inexperienced coaches or future bets.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is none because like in previous years the Rockets were waiting, and not really considering firing Mike, they also did not want to give him a fat contract long term.

The best alternatives are out of the market.

They didn't move in any direction much.

The front office is like this Rapunzel in the tower waiting and waiting. Hesitating and waiting.