1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jcf

jcf Member

I thought she was staff writer for Sports Illustrated?

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I guess its kinda like defensive driving. You get a ticket even though you may have a case in court but decide defensive driving is nice alternative. Dont get me wrong I'm not comparing DV to speeding, just an analogy.

3. Buck Turgidson

Regardless of what she does for SI, she is employed by mlb.com, which means she is employed by a L.P. of the MLB owners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Advanced_Media

jcf and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Yup and the whole thing gets really murky because of the unique nature of baseball and the exemptions it receives.

The league really doesn’t want this litigated in part for the fact they don’t want to see any antitrust rulings weakened.

Everyone except the victim is very motivated to settle. It will cost a lot and she is spiteful as by her comment asking were the owner was. She feels strongly about this.

If Astros legal counsel knew about the first response and did nothing, they should be fired and contact their malpractice carrier.

The Astros screwed this up on so many levels because this isn’t their specialty.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I would bet if DV was completely removed from this situation, and Taubman yelled at those women (for whatever reason), he would have still ended up fired.

Say for instance, if one of them had pulled a media "Harden hate" type thing on an Astro and he wanted to support said player, he would still be fired for offending someone.

Bearded13 likes this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Wow. I should have read more. So, MLB hires reporters to cover it? Not my idea of an independent press, but she certainly wasn't limited by the arrangement.

7. Nook

Nook Member

If he hadn’t lied and fessed up?

I doubt it. He likely would have been suspended.

His lying is a huge part of this.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Have a feeling Osuna will blow a save to lose the final game of the World Series and the media will have a field day writing stories on the Astros. WIll have to disconnect from the internet for a while.

phasors28 likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Are you saying the LIE was worse than "the big bad man yelled at me about DV" ??

Many posters are acting like he threatened her or called her out of her name.

BTW- he had to yell because Club Astros was extra hype due to advancing to the WS.

raining threes and persian hoopa like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

What he did was highly inappropriate and Unprofessional. However Luhnow really likes him and he may have survived with a suspension.

Lying to his employer on top of that, leading to the Astros releasing a false press release? That will always lead to a dismissal.

He was a high level employee at a profession that has public exposure and is dependent on the moods of the public.

He went after someone in the press in a personal sense, that was his first mistake. That is a violation of basic executive training.

He then choose a topic that is an absolute no-no. Someone of his stature should no that.

Third he then lied about the event and had an attempted cover up knowing his employer was handling a very public issue.

Essentially he proved he lacks the judgment for the position he held and needed to be removed. A multi billion dollar entity like the Astros cannot have someone like that making decisions or representing the organization.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Hey look on the bright side, you have it going 7 games!

jiggyfly and King1 like this.
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

Lol this starts at the top sorry

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Good points.

I just doubt there's any issue if all facts remained the same besides the reporters' gender.

- The reporter's reaction would likely be more reserved.
    - The backlash would have been far less.
    - Posters could sleep better.

Sucks that a non-personal comment made during a party could undo so much, but that's life.

14. SemisolidSnake

I have a friend arguing with me about this (incidentally, his Yankees just got beat, and I don't think that's an insignificant thing to mention when it comes to context). Called the Astros "villains" when it comes to this World Series, and I have no doubt that's how this is being portrayed nationally. As much I hate to step into this mess of a thread, it's the best place on the internet to get all sides and nuances of this story.

He whipped out the "but Luhnow said he was too busy to apologize when he was right in the room with this reporter." So, it's clearly not over as I told him it was with the guy's firing.

At this point, if I was Luhnow, I wouldn't a say a word to anyone directly involved in this without talking to the team's legal team even if I was sitting in the same car for 8 hours with the person. Anything, anything at all is going to be used against you. "That wasn't a good enough apology." "An apology simply isn't enough to make this go away." (See what I did there? It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't apologize, and it never has.) If I'm Luhnow, I AM too busy to apologize to the person in the room. Too busy figuring out how to placate the most people with the exact words I eventually have to say.

It will NEVER be over for some people. Luhnow's head on a pike? Not good enough. Jim Crane created "this environment." Go after Crane. I'm sure the fact that Jim Crane and his team's charitable foundation has probably done more for domestic violence than every rabble rouser in this entire situation combined will ever do has not mentioned. Well, I just did mention it.

The guy is fired. Draw the line, and move on. Don't feed the arson the media's trying turn this weak ember into. They did the same thing with Yuli two years ago. Work something out and cut the inevitable check in the offseason when everyone's forgotten about this nothing that actually turned out to be barely something that is now once again nothing. ****ing sick of it.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  15. cardpire

cardpire Member

you have literally the exact stance on this that i do. up until the last 2 words....was surprised this is your take yet also think it should cost him his job.

alyson footer is a bully, plain and simple. antagonistic, arrogant, bitter, and a bully. i've seen her tweets from the beginning of the osuna trade. people alert her that other players have DV in their history, ask her why she doesn't tweet out the hotline number every time they pitch as well, and she blocks them. at some point her constant targeting of osuna simply becomes a 50-year old bullying and harassing a kid, imo.

i think it can be safely assumed that she brought that into the locker room a lot in the past year as well. asking taubman questions, asking osuna harassing questions, etc. would she have gotten fired if taubman said she made him uncomfortable?

what taubman did was obnoxious, but nowhere near severe enough to warrant a firing and his reputation getting ruined. he screamed something stupid at a person who he had been at odds with. the whole thing is silly, but we are living in a cancel culture and people are blood thirsty.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I think if they didn't try to blame the reporter in the aftermath, you may have a point... but... his undoing was the response to the allegations

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, that's ridiculous if so.

also, it makes no sense that taubman was fired and his career/life is possibly ruined, yet osuna himself is still employed by the team.

18. Senator

Senator Member

Is there evidence of this?

19. Nook

Nook Member

Jeff Luhnow said the Astros were lied to by Taubman and one other employee. Taubman dragged someone else in to his lie.

Luhnow said further investigation substantiated the victims version of events and the Astros apologized.

Unless you think Luhnow knew exactly what really happened and concocted the whole first story version on his own.... yeah Taubman taunted the reporter, attempted to cover up what happened and lied to the Astros organization and had another employee lie.

That is why he is gone.... unless you think Luhnow made him a sacrificial lamb after the Astros organizations effort at a cover up happened. Possible but Taubman could theoretically destroy the front office by coming clean if true.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, reading the baseball reddit there isn't a single good post about the Astros, they have certainly been made Public Enemy #1

The Astros are scary, even if they lose the WS they seem to make all the right moves. They are the gold standard when it comes to running a franchise in the MLB.

Teams steal from them, teams admire them, this is just how it is, a lot of these fans like your friend just want to see the organization destroyed so that they don't have to deal with us anymore. Bunch of salty fans, Yankee fans too you'll see as if Chapman isn't on their team.

Taubman was punished, the team had some horrible PR about it, apologized for it, released the guy...but it's funny how a lot of people are trying to tie Luhnhow into this now just because he said he hadn't apologized to the reporter.

The Media is the media, they will sensationalize anything, but when it comes to other fans no doubt to me this isn't about Taubman, this is about destroying the Astros because of their envy...and I bet if Luhnhow were to leave the Stros a lot of these teams fans would be celebrating his hiring and say 'he's changed, it was an organizational thing...'

RocketJedi likes this.