1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nobody should care what the mob thinks. Alyson Footer should go follow the Yankees and try to dismantle that team from the inside.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is absurd now. Shouldn't even repost these idiots tweets. Don't give them the clicks

3. Nook

Nook Member

You don’t think their initial statement was arrogant?

You don’t think they believed they could just issue a statement and it would go away?

I don’t mean that flippantly.

topfive likes this.
  4. phasors28

phasors28 Member

IMO their initial was completely wrong but not arrogant. They immediately took Taubman's word before investigating what happened. I guess Taubmann was respected in the organization based on JL's comments today. Also when they heard Footer was involved they automatically assumed she was stirring up the pot unnecessarily. They were too quick to assume rather get the facts.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"The Astros fired assistant general manager Brandon Taubman, who directed an obscenity-filled tirade toward three female reporters last week."

"obscenity-filled tirade"

[​IMG]

Their precious little ears.

fiersdownbelow and Houstunna like this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I though DV victims could be, and often were, compelled to testify? Regardless of whether they wanted their family member rung up for the crime or not? Different criminal procedure in Ontario of course.

AIUI, he basically did their version of deferred adjudication, but he didn't admit wrongdoing? Because if he did admit wrongdoing, why did MLB reinstate him? Or do all DV abusers get one (or more?) crime, serve their sentence, and are then free to continue their baseball career?

7. Nook

Nook Member

No one is going to come out ahead in this situation.

Taubman was unprofessional and stupid.

He then lied and doubled down.

The lying was enough to get fired.

Luhnow underestimated this matter and just believed his employees and slandered someone in a professional setting. The team legal counsel should have prevented the initial statement.

The reporter will sue the Astros and likely get money from the organization. However her handling of this with “where is Jim Crane” will ultimately not help her.

The Astros and other Houston sports teams are not going to want to deal with Footer. She will be labeled as a troublemaker and eventually be gone.

At this point other than resolving the civil suit and some form of punishment for Luhnow this is over. The reporter can keep milking it but public sentiment will change.

The executive and the Astros organization were wrong... established. The executive lost his job (rightfully so) and the Astros GM will likely pay as well and the organization will pay financially.

Not much else to say.

da_juice likes this.
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Twitter isn’t real life.

CK Johnson likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Canada can not force a victim to come back from another country. It’s why they sent her butt to Mexico so she would be forced to say he beat her.

In Canada you need a witness to the actual beating to take the case to trial under their good faith doctrine. Without her testimony that only left Osuna’s testimony.

In Canada all the evidence (photos, victim statements to police and Reports) are sealed as long as Osuna stays out of trouble in Canada.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I don’t know how Alyson Footer sleeps at night, knowing she ruined this guy’s career. She’s been abusing her position as a beat writer to taunt the Astros and Osuna since he was acquired. Somewhat ironic this whole situation.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So I worked in misdemeanor as an intern so misdemeanor DV means no serious bodily injury (think black eye or cut lip, not broken bones) so the stakes were low enough that you don’t generally see cases prosecuted with no corroborating witness. You could prosecute the case but nobody wants to do that without a witness that will cooperate.
    For a felony? Maybe.
    If he was facing “only” 6 months in jail I’d guess that’s their version of a misdemeanor but I don’t know.

Even if his punishment is the equivalent of pleading nolo contendre that’s not “being found not guilty” or whatever you’d said that I pointed out.

12. Major

Major Member

Uhhh ... he ruined his own career. No one made him say something stupid. No one made him lie to his employer about it. Blaming anyone else is stupid.

She's been pretty open about her position on DV and MLB. MLB could have told her to stop if they had a problem with what she was doing - they didn't. Dealing with this kind of stuff is the negative of acquiring an Osuna. It's why he was available at a discount.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Gordon took more shots than any player on the court...as a bench player. Say what. And cold as shiot on top of that. That's a total lack of awareness.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t think there’s any slander suit. Career suicise for the reporter imo. I could be wrong but that’s my guess.
    Also I’d put it at 40/60 on JL being punished. The statement was tone deaf, but he didn’t write it, it was t his job to write it, and ultimately Crane is responsible for ok-info that release.

I’m not saying JL covered himself in glory but the actions weren’t his initially and the buck for this kind of thing doesn’t stop on his desk, but rather Cranes.

I think the reason JL was so elusive in answering questions, likely, is that it was Crane with the final OK on releasing the statement.

I could be wrong about both things, but that’s my guess.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I assume MLB didn’t tell her to shut up. They probably should have. Not as a “morally correct” thing to do, but out of naked self interest so something like this didn’t overshadow their product. This is an ugly scene for baseball all the way around.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

At the end of the day all he really did was mock a reporter who constantly digs at the Astros organization for acquiring Osuna. It was immature and he shouldn’t have done it, but it’s pretty harsh to end this guy’s career over one incident where he decided he was going to dig back at the reporter. Imagine you lose your job because you have the gall to taunt someone who constantly taunts you. I wouldn’t ever put myself in that position, but damn it just seems really harsh.

jiggyfly and Houstunna like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This guy had a good chance to be a future GM, so he probably cost himself millions.

It was a very stupid thing to do even if some of these articles are grossly overhyping it. He should have known better than to do that in this culture.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to think the Astros will just let Osuna walk in the offseason. There's another 10 million you can send Cole's way.

HTown2017Champs and topfive like this.
  20. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Good point. What a mess this has become and Osuna is behaving.