1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's sad that our two recent World Series runs have been marred by issues not having to do with the game. We had Yuli's "Chinito" comment and now this Taubman controversy. I'm proud of this organization as a fan and a Houstonian. In 2017 Yuli apologized and even tipped his cap to Darvish the next time he faced him. In this case the organization did their research and had the fortitude to say they were wrong and change course. Both of those examples are signs of character and for all of the faults of pro-sports it's good to see character on display.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Well no people aren’t THAT mad. We have a baseball team to run after all.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As it turns out, the Astros and MLB did their homework, got corroborating accounts from other people who were there, and they corrected their mistake. It sounds like Taubman is an ******* and a bro ******* at that. I’m not someone to shed any tears for those sorts of people catching bad breaks. But I am disappointed in the timing of it all, and the fact that this is overshadowing our World Series. Whatever internal investigation needed to be done, surely it could have waited until the offseason. This isn’t a player, a coach, or the GM. Everybody just needs to move on, and I hope the team can do that now, because time is running out.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Get help.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why you don't apologize and give in to the outrage culture & fake news media.

Man fired, apology issued.

NOT ENOUGH! NOT ENOUGH!

Jeff Luhnow, they want you fired next.

Invisible Fan and jcf like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. likestohypeguy

MLB: either disband & abolish the astros organization NOW or continue to support dv abusers.

9. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Good grief. I hate twitter. Giving a stage to people with no clue. Time to go to Twitter war.

mikol13, texans1095 and King1 like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They hate us, cause they anus.....

The lowly hater fans would do anything to see the fall of an Empire.

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is exactly what I expected when the real vitriol was towards the statement issued by the team, not necessarily Taubman’s words.

mikol13 and kaleidosky like this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

Hmm, well, I guess that's over with. Weird guy. Seems like a great example of the life axiom "Don't drink at company parties."

(Yes, I know others don't think it's over with, but they're wrong, so best to ignore them.)

Stephanie Apstein is still a terrible writer trying to tie some bizarre isolated incident into a commentary on the whole of baseball, and I say she deserves no credit or apologies, but do what you have to do, Astros PR department.

LOL at people trying to get Luhnow fired. If the agitators in China couldn't get Morey fired, there's no way in hell the ones over here are getting Crane to fire Luhnow.

I also ****ing love Osuna. As a pitcher on our team. Most of the time.

13. HookemHorns1250

I don't understand. He was fired...Lunhow cooperated with the league, and people want more?

The guy was fired, the right thing was done by the organization...it doesn't mean every freaking person should be fired because of one idiots mistake. I hate this right now. Just as much as I hate people spending days of their lives trying to dig up posts from players 10 years ago, or when they were in high school to try to cause trouble.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They want whoever is ultimately in charge of the statement fired... because it insulted the reporter.

15. HookemHorns1250

I need to go back and read that statement again then. If there was something I missed then I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Were those front office employees you mentioned, part of a team in the World Series and working for a team that national media was desperately trying to find a story hook for as a counterpoint to the "plucky outsider underdogs' that I guess the Nationals are this year? Which are all reasons I think this blew up like it did.

Plus, his conduct could be viewed as excusing domestic violence. Not as bad as excusing racism, for third rail offenses in modern media culture, but about as bad.

He's gone now. Doubt the national media will let this story go though. Though it is an interesting question of, just who in the Astros org came up with that initial attempt to deny the story. Has any video or audio of the confrontation surfaced? Hard to believe there isn't any, given the environment and actors.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It basically accused her of lying. Then everybody came and corroborated her story.

I really think this would have been over/done with (and Taubman may not have even ended up being fired) had the Astros handled the initial story much much better.

Invisible Fan, Nook and Gray_Jay like this.
  18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

A lot of this. Domestic violence victims' advocacy is a noble profession. DV victims---crime victims in general, really---need more people helping them overcome the hardships and losses they've suffered.

But that's not what Alyson Footer, if it was her who was constantly tweeting DV support hotline numbers during her mentioning of the Astros, was paid to do. Anymore than it would be if the Steelers beat writer, or a writer from the NFL or other media enterprises covering the Steelers, felt it necessary to put a rape crisis hotline number in every piece of professional correspondence dealing with the team or Roethlisberger.

I can see why Taubman was annoyed at someone who was indulged in her personal crusade against the Astros front office, when Osuna was cleared to play MLB and was not found guilty of his alleged criminal conduct. But you can't get publicly annoyed at the media when you hold a job like Taubman's or aspire to a GM job elsewhere. There's always an annoying troll: either in the media, or an agent, a player, or a fan. You can't let them get to you to where you respond like he did. Good firing.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, I didn’t understand the story or why he made the comments he did in that context at all
    Now that I found out it was footer and there was ongoing antagonism between them it suddenly all makes sense and I totally understand why he did what he did when before I didn’t.
    When I say understand I mean I get the events in motion and how and why it happened, not that I condone it in any way.
    He probably deserved to get fired and I have no problem with that. Say/do stupid things and win stupid prizes. I just now understand the (dumbass) logic that led to those events happening whereas before I didn’t.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Rec’d post because I agreed with 95% of it and liked it but you got one thing wrong- Osuna wasn’t found not guilty. They pled him down to a much smaller crime and Gabe him probation bc the witness refused to cooperate. That’s nowhere near being found not guilty.
    I summered in a prosecutors office. This is probably more the norm than an exception from my very limited experience, that a cooperating witness then refuses to cooperate.

#520 Wulaw Horn, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    topfive likes this.