1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Apologizes to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Oct 7, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean he could have wanted to save Morey, or at least make things easier for the Rockets.

If you overthink this one, you might overthink his next response.......

Let him speak out, telling him not to go deeper into this. Silence is gold sometimes.

jcf likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes, and I think Harden by now has a soft spot for Houstonians and once they are the ones asking him why are they throwing our gm under the bus over an autocratic regime, he might understand the mistake he made. Let's hope that our reporters framing the question differently will enlighten Harden ever so slightly.

clutchdabear, dobro1229 and malakas like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Completely agreed. Very nice post and insight.

There is a reason that the NBA in the english version (Because the also made a statement in chinese with much different content and language), didn't go the extra step and really apologised for Morey's actions themselves.

Was it because they are socially aware? No of course not.
    It was because they knew that the americans fans would be outraged on their own right and they are scared of the national media picking up the story even more.

If this blows up, then the whole league will all of a sudden turn vocally pro Morey.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Eh, if someone were to pay me millions to tour around China in lavish accommodations and let me do whatever the hell I want, they can call me anything in languages I dont know.

5. malakas

malakas Member

For the reporters to frame the questions like that, they have to be national political reporters not SPORTS reporters.

Even national media espn , si, athletic journalists are pressured by the league and they will never dare to cause such potential damage all their carreer will be destroyed. Lowe has said already that he gets many times calls from the league when he "crosses the line".

Silver by now has probably called every writer to tell them to STFU and burry this.

fchowd0311 and clutchdabear like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s full of many threads that will get dwarfed in comments and likes by the 1st Lebron-AD alley oop on opening night

I read that thread yesterday...it was at 11 pages so it had decent traffic, but it involves a lot of the same posters replying to each

How many of them will be on to the next thing a few weeks from now watching the NBA on opening night and going to games? The vast majority of them since it doesn’t effect their team. A lot of people simply don’t care or only have temporary outrage on social media unless that thing directly affects them.

jcf likes this.
  7. jcf

jcf Member

Was it Morey's place to effectively speak for the entire team and league? And put other folks' business relationship with China at risk?

And the moral outrage is a little mistimed. Whatever legitimate criticisms there may be about China, the NBA and the Rockets have been courting China's business for years despite those issues. Heck, a lot of people think Trump's trade war with China is ill-conceived because it is hurting American businesses and farmers. I haven't heard a great cry to stop doing business with China out of morality.

Like it or not, America wants to sell more, not less, to China despite whatever political or moral issues that exist.

Morey poked China, not vice-versa. I hope this blows over and Morey stays. But, he needs to think a little harder given his position before popping off.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Also the Chinese government does not understand the Streisand effect. They are child like in their incessant desire to not be criticized.

9. fchowd0311

I feel like poking a world power with a tweet is not worthy of a government run by adults to be so offended where they ban that organization from even being mentioned.

The Chinese government reaction to Morey's tweet only confirms that I should trust the reporting of Chinese government autrocities.

clutchdabear, Nook and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes it was his place. It was his social media and his opinion. He didn't effectively speak for the league or team because it was his own social media account.

Like it or not? I don't like it, and if this continues where we have to support genocidal regimes I will not be part of it.

Everyone has their choice. If the NBA wants to sell to dictators, they can't sell to me a person who values freedom.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

This will depend on further events. If the story ends here, then everyone will move on.
    If it doesn't then we will keep talking about it.

But what has happened in the process? Everyone may move on, but they will move on with additional knowledge of what is happening in Hong Kong.
    People have been educated.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. jcf

jcf Member

My guess is that if those guys do speak on this issue, it will be conciliatory to China.

13. jcf

jcf Member

It isn't just the NBA. It is our farmers and other businesses. Do you believe all American businesses, in order to be moral, should stop selling to China? How about buying? Should all American businesses stop buying from China and replace the goods with potentially more expensive substitutes?

You are going to need to do a lot of research to walk your walk.

14. jcf

jcf Member

Yao isn't going to put his own businesses at risk.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Is the farmer allowed to express at the very least his support for democracy? If yes, yes. If no, not.
    But I won't mind if there would be pressure over the Ughyurs. If it was explicitally put in that frame, then stop all economical relations until the genocide ceases.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. jcf

jcf Member

This. D&D wasn't blowing up about the atrocities happening in China. Criticizing Harden for trying to help his team and himself isn't warranted.

17. dmoneybangbang

Harden needs China more than Morey

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

His social media and personal opinion cost his star player and his organization a ton of money. I don't know the exact #'s but Lance Z on ESPN 97.5 reported this morning that this will "obliterate" the Rockets overseas revenue stream. They are calling this a disaster financially. Harden got forced into the middle of this and he and Tilman have the most to lose. Not Morey.

Harden is no villain here. Would you be happy throw away lets say $50 - $100 million dollars because of someone else's decision? Even if they were right, wouldn't you at least want to discuss that first? Apparently James, Morey and the entire league have been just fine with doing business with China DESPITE the reported atrocities. Now you ask them to fall on this sword? If we are being sincere in our support for HK, then The Rockets and the NBA should have cut off all dealings with China well before Morey's tweet.

jcf likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Throwing words around like it's the newest trend.....Hitler....genocide....Holocaust.

Major differences.

Yes. The Muslims were hard to assimilate but everyone tried and for a number of people it did not work out.

Should have sent them abroad. But is Greece taking them? Is Greece taking many more Syrians too?

2. Genocide

It can't be genocide if in the streets, both ethnicities were going at each other. The Uyghurs were fiercer warriors.

Casualties on both sides. (I think you got that mixed up with the Tibetans, yes, the Communist Party back then had killed many, that was bad.)

I have friends of friends, eyeball witnesses (so I can say it's not propaganda) the incidents in the streets were very real, both sides were firing or wielding knives, blades, whatever pointy weapons.

Civilians just hide your wives and kids. ----Civil war!

#139 daywalker02, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  20. jcf

jcf Member

Well, we are in the midst of a trade war with China, and there hasn't been a great call to cease doing business with them (or a host of other trade partners with whom we may disagree on fundamental rights). Maybe America as a country should decide to sanction China and cease economic relations for the reasons you have discussed. But my guess is that the economic effect of such a decision would be a heck of lot worse and pervasive than one might think. Just the trade war has caused a lot of domestic suffering that has been borne disproportionately by those dependent on doing business with China. It is always easy to stake out the moral high ground when you expect others to pay the price for doing so.

BaselineFade likes this.