1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Tilman: I was surprised by the decision to dump Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 20, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure that oompa loompa is a crackhead...

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This guy is using the Rockets to gain publicity, and saying something unnecessarily stupid every time he opens his mouth. Biggest obstacle to Rockets winning a championship right now, and that's so tragic given how long we've waited and how close we are.

This guy just doesn't understand how lucky he is to have Harden and this team.

RocketsTerps, malakas, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

WOW 10,000TH MELO THREAD ALERT!!!

[​IMG]

Bo6, RichieBanks, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Which basically confirms Melo was brought here not to help the team win, but to be made an example of. This was 100% Morey & the coaching staff, presumably MDA

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Tillman gives me cognitive dissonance.

RocketWalta and Der Rabbi like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you gotta love tilman, goat owner

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both Fertitta and Dolan are gentlemen. Case close.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, what! So I've been wasting my time all these years. How about wearing Red? Surely that makes a difference.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

And the moon is made of green cheese!

Why won't they listen? THEY NEVER LISTEN!!!

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I know there are a lot of Melo haters on here - and personally i couldnt care less about the dude - but that whole fiasco just speaks to the dysfunction that exists within the franchise...

Imo... DM opted to bring in Melo bc he had the fascination for years... Obviously CP3 and Harden were on board - but I think the coaching staff was opposed...

Melo got Bzdelik fired in Denver so I think Bzdelik was like 'if u bring him in - I'm quitting' - and he did. MDA had no love for Melo based on NY... but he wasnt gonna walk away from another paycheck bc of the guy - so he accepted it - but was never gonna give Melo a fair chance...

After the team struggled out the gate - and MDA showed his total ineptness regarding defense - DM cut the deal to bring Bzdelik back if he kicked Melo to the curb - and he did so... Pissing off CP3 in the process...

Folks have concocted all kinds of narratives to try to cast this in a different light... but it was jus fkd up...

Now Melo is just considered toxic waste so nobody wants to touch him...

"He was washed" - he was a min contract... we didnt feel the need to jettison Joe Johnson after 10 games....
    "He was being a problem..." - DM said straight up that Melo 'did everything the coaching staff asked of him...'
    "He's a distraction..." - Yeh, bc DM runs the org based on SAS running his jaws.... we obviously dont care about other peoples or the medias perceptions... lol

Naw.... there's a disconnect in this organization - and its Morey.

Now I think Morey is one of the best GMs in the league - but the dude does have his flaws - he's only human... He undervalues coaches... and doesnt take peoples 'feelings' into account. Now i'm not some bleeding heart millennial who thinks everybody needs a 'safe space' or some nonsense... but as somebody who has spent decades managing people - you gotta keep the staff happy and productive...

...imo...

and Tilman just needs to learn to stfu...

RocketsTerps likes this.
  11. TilmanFinancialWindfall

he is like Dolan.
    Dolan use the Knicks to promote his band and music venue s.

Tilman use Rockets to promote himself

Just shut up

12. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Who this guy? I want to be him when I am 89

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol he is so full of it!

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Good take. I disagree on a few minor points, but the main point we agree is Melo being cut had ZERO to do with Melo's play & moreso about the organization. Their was something other basketball that lead to Melo being let go

kjayp likes this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Ask them that, I just give you the facts

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

1. Melo was a vet min contract there isnt any $$$ involved so he wouldnt get involved.

2. MDA's contract situation involves a lot of $$$ so obv he would be involved. Les Alexander was also involved in MDA's hiring.

3. Tillman doesnt balk at a few mill dollars he is balking at Luxury Tax specifically the Repeater Tax. LTS doesnt mean "a few guaranteed million dollars", it means a significant chunk of change because not only do you pay the tax itself all Non tax payers also receive the luxury tax paid by other teams. That's like a double whammy of money so thats why Tillman is pinching pennies if a dude wont significantly increase the title chance.

I don't like all the generalization and demonization of Tillman that is going on here. Ok the dude wants to save money...so does 90% of NBA owners. If you don't like that buy your own NBA team or at least follow a team who has an owner with unlimited pockets.

Patience, Plowman and Pat like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

So Morey is ok with Melo
    Harden and Cp3 are ok with Melo
    Tillman is ok with Melo
    MDA and Bzedelik are not ok with Melo

But your conclusion is Morey is the problem because he doesnt take into account feelings? How about MDA and Bzedelik not buying into Melo the same way Melo bought into the Rox system?

Of course you gotta keep your staff happy but you also expect your staff to do their job and be a professional despite their unhappiness cuz they are grown men and not kids. Harden and Cp3 should be the priority to being kept happy and not MDA and esp not Bzedelik who got fired after his **** job in the playoffs.

The only fault Morey had is he had no balls and flip flopped between the coaching staff and Melo. He was the one who brought Melo in he should have backed Melo to the coaching staff instead of dropping him like a hot potato. OTH since he dropped Melo and convinced Bzedelik to come back he should have retained Bzedelik instead of firing him after the playoffs. That's not Morey not having feelings thats him panicking due to the losses and not having balls and a spine to backup his actions.

As a manager you should know you lose your team quickly if you take the lead for decisions and then blame others when it fails. That's what Morey did last year IMO. I still love Morey but there have been multiple times he has screwed others this way making false promises he doesnt keep. Latest casualty I guess is Shumpert who got promised something that didnt come true.

kjayp likes this.
  18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Wait so you weren't part of the decision AND you've never met the guy??

I call bullshit. Tilman literally just went on First Take saying the governor of a team has a final say on all team decisions now you're saying you weren't a part of any of that?

Who's calling the shots in this org? Your sons or the coaches? Smh.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree with much of what you're saying...

but as far as Bzdelik... I got no issues with what he did... Melo severly screwed him years prior and he wasnt willing to take another go around with the guy. If he told Morey up front that he wasnt gonna stick around if Melo was brought in - then I admire his stones for the follow through... imo, he made his line in the sand - Morey chose to ignore... it is what it is... thats where I think Morey overvalused Melo and undervalused Bzdelik... Not to mention the loyalty factor to the guy who built the team defensively...
    Personally, i think Bzdelik did a great job and I'm sorry to seem him go... We had defensive shortcomings - but we were flooring lineups with a far greater focus on offense than defense... he only had so much to work with based on who MDA would put on the floor...

MDA... no respect... I think he grinned and beared it while harboring resentment toward Melo... I'd rather he put his foot down like Bzdelik - or truly gave acclimating Melo a shot.... I dont think that happened. It was MDA being stubborn - while not being willing to sacrifice the check...

I think all of this was Melo's past arrogance coming back to bite him - maybe even deservedly so...

I was as happy as anybody when we got Melo. Just given his talent (even diminishing) and the cheap contract, imo it was a no brainer... but based on the turmoil with Bzdeliks departure - we never shoulda even gone there...

and yeh, Morey panicked... Personally, I think that led us to the salary cap cuts to get under the LT... We started the season like crap... DM had a horrible offseason (Melo, Ennis, MCW... losing Ariza for nothing... CP3 contract vs return to that point)... that he had to do something to make the boss happy...

I dont know that you could say that Morey did blame anyone else - at least not openly...

and I'd add the fiasco with House to the list of missteps last year...

There are many teams with a lot more front office issues than we have... but i still dont think any shortcomings should just be ignored...

20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You know the type of trouble they would get into if this was even slightly true? Nobody in professional sports has the time, money, and dignity to waste by doing this. It's not in the personality of Morey, Coaching Staff nor MDA...