1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. Not even close to the same. Can you tell me what Warren said or tweeted that would helped create the environment that would have encouraged that shooting?

I agree that it appears the Dayton shooter was left-wing. I haven't seen anything from left-wing politicians that would encourage him to think his actions were warranted. I can point to rhetoric, tweets, and actions by Trump that could easily encourage the El Paso shooter to think his actions were justified.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m old enough to have voted many times when you went into an actual booth with a curtain you closed behind you, so you could make your selections in private, and why today people are generally kept a certain distance from the individual when they vote. Having said that, how people vote is a matter of public record. I’m 99% sure that someone can find out how someone else voted if they want to go to the trouble. That information isn’t locked in a vault or anything. Perhaps you didn’t know that. I suspect that a lot of people don’t. You can find out if a person a voted Democratic or Republican, what elections they voted in, whether they voted at all. It’s part of the public record.

The reason actually voting was/is kept private is to prevent acts of intimidation while you are voting. The angry looking fellow looking over your shoulder, perhaps an officer of the law. In countries where candidates get 90% of the vote, what I would call pretend democracies that are veiled dictatorships, it’s one of they ways the influence the vote count. They intimidate you. A lot of that took place in the South back in the day.

I miss the actual booths with the black curtain. I recall arguing with my Dad in ‘72, who was a Democrat, but ardently disliked McGovern for some reason and had made the mistake of telling me he was going to break with tradition and vote for Nixon. I told him Nixon was a crook for 15 to 20 minutes on the way to vote at the neighborhood location, where they had those booths with the curtain. All the way until we went to our separate booths. Several months later, after the truth about Nixon came out and at some point during the hearings, he actually apologized for not listening to me. Said I had been right. I still remember that over 45 years later. It was a special moment for me to have my father needing to apologize to me about anything, much less something like that.

#562 Deckard, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and Sooty like this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

EL PASO RESIDENTS SIGN LETTER TELLING DONALD TRUMP HE IS NOT WELCOME IN THEIR CITY: 'IT IS YOUR RHETORIC AND ACTIONS THAT HAD INSPIRED THE DOMESTIC TERRORIST.

"This is a time of intense grief and mourning, and we appreciate the impulse to comfort the kin of those killed and wounded—however, your presence would bring no comfort, no respite from the pain so brutally and callously imposed upon us.

We ask, instead, for your absence.

We say this because we recognize that it is your rhetoric and your actions that led us to this terrible moment. This shooter was inspired by your words and your attitudes"

"Given this history of hate on your part, we ask that you stay away. In the meantime, we will lament this loss—the 22 dead and 24 wounded, our mothers and fathers, neighbors and friends—without you. This is for the best."

"We hope you will have the grace and humility to ask for our community's forgiveness," "We hope that following this horror we will never again hear the racist, xenophobic, and hateful language that has marked your presidency."

https://www.newsweek.com/el-paso-residents-sign-letter-telling-donald-trump-not-welcome-1452756

#563 adoo, Aug 6, 2019
  4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

So when Trump goes publicly on Twitter to bash private companies that he thinks suck, is that not awful and tactically done to hurt those entities? Again, no outrage over that. You hold a mayor to a higher standard than the ****ing President of the United States. Fake outrage.

5. London'sBurning

Can't say it would effect me personally so I don't really care. Again you hold a mayor to a higher standard of ethics than the POTUS you don't want people to know you publicly support. Telling.

#565 London'sBurning, Aug 6, 2019
    Sooty likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

the domestic terrorist attack in Dayton occurred during the past week-end; Trump was golfing over the week-end.

he will, however, visit Dayton, Ohio, on Wed, 3 days after the domestic terrorist attack.​

It’s unclear what kind of reception Trump will get in Dayton. Mayor Nan Whaley said she will meet with him, but she made it clear
    she’s been disappointed with his response so far and said she won’t discourage protesters from making their voices heard.

“He’s made this bed, and he’s got to lie in it,” Whaley said. “His rhetoric has been painful for many in our community,
    and I think people should stand up and say that they’re not happy if they’re not happy that he’s coming.”

#566 adoo, Aug 6, 2019
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. London'sBurning

Dementia in chief can't even say El Paso or simply follow a teleprompter.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Castro is a self serving politician with no real understanding of the world around him. The Democrats have paraded this empty suit around for a decade now.

10. NewRoxFan

11. TheresTheDagger

Hypocrite is hypocrite.

12. London'sBurning

Scared to publicly support Trump because you know he's a scumbag.

13. TheresTheDagger

Well if simply words from a politicians mouth is the cause of the El Paso shooting, it must have been something Warren said that is the cause of the Dayton shooting right?

Or maybe its just a little bit more complicated than that. (my entire point).

GIve me a break.

-Just yesterday Castro's brother doxxed Trump donators.
    -Maxine Waters is only a year removed from encouraging lefties to harass Trump officials "you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."
    -Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that you “cannot be civil” with members of the Republican Party. Also, the "Deplorables" comment.
    -Former Attorney General Eric Holder told a Democratic audience at a campaign rally in Georgia on Sunday that they should "kick" Republicans when they perceive they are "going low".
    -Democratic Sen. Cory Booker in July urged liberal advocates to “Get up in the face of some congresspeople."

Astrodome likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

Damn right I'm scared. I'm scared for my country. But not because of Trump. At MOST he's got 6 more years and then on to the next one.

No, I'm more scared of simpletons like you who have lost any sense of rational thought because of their SEETHING anger over an election that probably doesn't affect you negatively in the slightest.

For the record, I didn't vote for Trump in the primaries or the general. I voted Rubio in the primary and left my vote blank in the General. If you look up my posts in the Republican primary process, I had a lot of reservations about him and felt he was the WORST choice of the 17. My vote history includes a vote for Gore in '88 and for Perot in '92. I'm right leaning but very centrist in much of my thinking.

But since 2016, I've changed my mind. Not because of a damn thing Trump has done or not done or said or not said as stupid or cringy as some of it is.

I'm FAR more concerned with you and those like you who are using Trump as an excuse to make changes that I could never live with. Trump for all his BIG faults has done one thing extremely well.

He's exposed folks like you for what you REALLY are.

mick fry and Astrodome like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

You do know that all the information presented is easily available publicly?

16. NewRoxFan

Wow. Even more... WOW. Senator McCollister tells Nebraska republican party... "pound sand".

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the El Paso shooter just happened to vote Republican that would not be a big deal. But to write a manifesto saying he needed to kill immigrants to protect our country and Trump was his inspiration is definitely not the same thing.

It's sad that you don't want to see that and try to pretend it is.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And then you have Trump - who actually encourages violence against minorities. Yet you forget to include that one. I wonder why?

20. NewRoxFan

This is where we are as a country with this president... people in one community don't want him appearing because of his racist and divisive nature, and government officials in another want his to appear with hope seeing the results of his behavior will somehow change him...

btw, the lt. governor below is a republican.