1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ts-surprising-trade-stroke-genius/1855120001/

While it makes much more sense for the Mets to unload Wheeler now since he’s a free agent in November, several rival teams believe the Mets' front office and ownership no longer want Syndergaard around, saying there’s a tone of desperation in their trade talks. The Mets deny the urgency. Privately, they say it’s 50-50 whether Syndergaard is dealt.

They’ve had extensive trade talks with the San Diego Padres about their position players, but the Padres privately say the Mets’ demands are far too exorbitant, and they are becoming pessimistic about a potential deal. The Mets have had cursory talks with the Minnesota Twins that went nowhere, and they’re still having dialogue with the Houston Astros and Atlanta Braves.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't get this, why are the Jays paying anything?

4. Jeremy Williams

They significantly valued the prospects they received—much more than most.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Because apparently solid starting pitching has very little value in 2019, so you have to kick in some cash just to get decent prospects back.

I mean, I don't get it either, but it has been a running theme over the last few seasons.

6. Jeremy Williams

My theory on that: many of the big SP signings have been busts; managers are moving away from the starting pitcher as a priority ala brew crew; the pitching position as a whole is dealing with major injury issues; the Astros have shown the league how to maximize value from the SP position.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

But it appears that Whitley is not a sufficiently valuable prospect (from the Mets' perspective) to headline a trade for Thor, so it seems like the Mets are getting pretty good offers for him.

8. Jeremy Williams

What makes you think Whitley has ever been on the table?

9. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

3) Houston Astros: The Astros are led by the best 1-2 punch in the AL in Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole. They have as strong a chance as anyone to win the World Series, but they can’t stand pat.

It was two years ago when manager A.J. Hinch persuaded the front office to seize the moment and grab Verlander from the Detroit Tigers. That led to a World Series. Now, with Cole just three months away from free agency and likely leaving, the Astros need to be aggressive again.

They would love to have Syndergaard, but will they pay the price?

Maybe they’ll have no choice

11. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

12. Jeremy Williams

There’s always a choice. And Thor has been slightly better than garbage all year.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wheeler sucks

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; that's such empty, meaningless fodder. Why does the team with the game's best offense and best 1-2 punch have no choice but to make a trade at the deadline?

IowaAstro, BigM and Jeremy Williams like this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you’re the Mets and you’re dealing a pitcher, wouldn’t you be more inclined to make a deal with a team that will keep the Yankees out of the World Series?

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

17. Jeremy Williams

I’m confident we will make a trade(s), but I expect the cost to be reasonable for us. Tucker, Whitley
    and Beer won’t be sold.

18. Jeremy Williams

I doubt that has anything to do with it.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I almost didn’t post it because what the hell does it really say?

I’m starved for news one way or another.

I’m actually starting to lean to wanting a quality reliever more than a starter. Add a catcher to that too.

Seems like a very strange deadline to me so far. Too many teams in the hunt still. Seems like if there was ever a year that the Aug 31st deadline should be in play it’s this one.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Mets *may* feel that way, but it'd be a lousy way to run an organization.

More and more, some of these long-standing "rules" are falling by the wayside. Teams should not hesitate to deal within their own division and no team should worry what their cross-town rival is up to. So silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.