1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pats file tampering charges

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

What was his title in the organization? He actually has a background as a football coach many years ago if I remember correctly. I did not know that until my brother chewed me out for 10 minutes about the hire.

UTSA2step likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"Though Easterby’s official title was team development/character coach, he assumed a number of duties, including meeting and motivating coaches and players, throwing passes during practices to defensive linemen and even offering counsel when the team was making personnel decisions."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3343987002

Sorry I don't see what makes this guy qualified to be a high level executive.

And he clearly wasn't aware of rules against tampering.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Ok cool, I wasn't aware of that being a commonality.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Watch that mid rounder turn into the Pats next franchise great. I will ****ing laugh.

6. Mr. Clutch

Caserio isn't a player.

He has to be interviewed and he has to actually want and accept any job offer

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What do you think Easterby was talking to Caserio about? ;)

8. Mr. Clutch

Caserio probably just tried to laugh it off and get away

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; my guess - strictly a guess - is that lacking any leverage, the Pats are going to try and tie the Texans up in procedural bullshit until they scream, Uncle! and fire them a draft pick, hoping the Texans would rather give up the pick then drag this out.

10. Mr. Clutch

Because the pats do this every time they lose somebody, which is every year.

They don't lack leverage. They employ caserio and believe this is a lateral move

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Hey Now!

I don't believe that's very common, is it? I'd wager Cal has a better handle on the NFL than his dad did and is capable of conducting a search without hiring a firm.

Mayhew is currently employed by the 49ers.

I don't think that's highly suspicious at all. They (apparently) put in two requests (Mayhew and Caserio) and the Pats have dragged their feet on Caserio, which, while not totally unprecedented, isn't very common, either. So they're awaiting the outcome.

Seems reasonable.

These guys know Caserio and have targeted him previously. They had to satisfy the Rooney Rule, which they've done - now they're moving on to their actual target. Again, nothing that's happened is overtly suspicious. If there was no history with Caserio, then some of your concerns would be more valid. But Easterby worked with Caserio *last year.*

I think New England is simply hoping the Texans will fire them a pick to make them go away; the equivalent of an out-of-court settlement.

13. Hey Now!

If they're not going to give him full control of personnel - which I'm guessing is the Texans' poison pill in their request - then yes: they lack leverage. This is (probably) a frivolous lawsuit they're hoping the Texans will make disappear with an out-of-court settlement (draft pick).

showa13 likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

How many frivolous complaints have the pats done?

And I'm not sure the Texans will even offer that. Even if they do it's up to the NFL to decide if this is a lateral move.

And even if granted there's no guarantee caserio will want the job after the interview

15. gucci888

That language was in Gaine’s contract. Why wouldn’t they include for Caserio knowing that is the one thing they have over the Pats right now?

16. showa13

showa13 Member

If Caserio doesn’t have the GM title(which he doesn’t) then it’s not a lateral move. All signs point to him being offered full control of personnel. And all signs point to him accepting the Texans job if offered.

And you don’t think the pats would resort to underhanded tactics to benefit themselves?

17. Mr. Clutch

The Patriots are arguing he is a GM. It will end up with the NFL deciding

18. Mr. Clutch

If it's in Gaines contract but obrien still made the final calls (as McLane reported) then it's not so clear

19. gucci888

Where are you seeing this? This argument only comes into play if the Patriots deny an interview which I don't believe they have yet. The only thing they have officially done is file tampering charges in which Caserio's title/role have no bearing.

20. Mr. Clutch

Reporters are hinting at it but not clear.

Tweet from @AlbertBreer: I'd focused on the Patriots arguing the Texans' post isn't a full-on GM job. TC here posits the idea the Pats could argue Nick Caserio already has a GM job.