1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and D’Antoni working on extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 19, 2019.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I had the exact same reaction except I used the "F" word...out loud.

J.R. likes this.
  2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Houston has a wining sport team, that is the baseball team, not the Rockets. The rockets will never win a big thing with D'Antoni, that has been demonstrated long time ago.

PeterKingX and Crashlanded19 like this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Rockets are arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league. The team that seems to give the Warriors the most trouble. Do you fire the coach just because the team can't defeat one of the best teams of all time?

Patience likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I won't hold MDA accountable for the Game 7 loss last year because a myriad of things happened (or didn't happen). However, his lack of in-game adjustments against the Warriors this year is concerning moving forward because, at current state, we will most likely run it back with the current starting lineup but the bench will probably take a considerable nosedive versus the benches in the last two years.

MDA had, imo, more resources this year on the bench and he wasted it by not wanting to adjust. Maybe I'm wrong and, if so, I hope I'm wrong to the tune of a championship parade next June. But if this trend continues where he's too stubborn to make adjustments in game, it doesn't matter who we bring in or trade.

Little Bit and rhee like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

How, its a personnel issue. Also its part of the switch scheme that gets Clint out on the perimeter, thats defense, you dont HAVE to blame a coach.

And you know this how? You dont think after many times of getting out rebounded all season, dude wouldnt say, hey "box out and get your rebounds"...did you even hear Cp this season talking about this stuff.

Alright, so much speculation here. MDA philosphy is also 7SOL with ball movement.

Alright, you are not giving any examples here, so I guess we can stop.

You have coach whos gotten the best results over anyone not named the Warriors the last three years.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is critical. And not just for *recruiting players* but also stability with getting assistant coaches. Rockets need to get the coaching positions in place so they can *sell* their vision to Jimmy Butler and others.

Nook and Roc Paint like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His health would be alarming too, whatever illness he had, it could come back in another shape or form.

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Im not sure if the game 7 vs the Nuggets(Who are not a good defensive team) is a good example. Nuggets arent great defensively.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah it was partly an emotional reaction, frustration, but my point stands. Look at the Bucks vs. Raptors ending last night, they shot a lot of threes early and making them, but late in the game when it got tight they really went in attack mode. Saw a lot more lay-ups and short to long range 2s. I realise the Warriors would be tougher of course.

HP3 likes this.
  10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

They had the best non-Warriors roster in 2017-18, by far.

And this past year they were still elite.

This team is not over performing at all.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

CP was still elite in 2017-2018, you gotta remember that. Hes still very good now, but if you compare his isolation numbers from last season, its a stark difference. Cp is the big difference here from last year to this. CP is not THE Cp anymore(Or if I have some small hope "right now")>

Vivi likes this.
  12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

D’Antoni lobbied for Joe Johnson and played him more than Luc Mbah a Moute in 2017-18, once he was signed, while the #1 seed race was still extremely tight.

This is an inexcusably bad decision.

This is a guy with an atrocious feel for the game. No ability to coach defense, “They hear one voice on offense and one voice on defense.” no ability to make adjustments, “I’d be stupid to go away from what’s worked in the past.”(That’s a quote from last years playoffs), favorites based on essentially nothing of substance, doghouse treatment to superior players based on essentially nothing of substance(House? Faried? Clark? Nene?).

A guy with who has a history of this type of coaching in Phoenix. A guy who played Gerald Green every single game of the playoffs just to watch him kill lineups with mistakes Clark and House wouldn’t make because of their far higher basketball IQs.

Gerald Green was by far the worst player in the playoffs. Only Van Vleet can compare. And he played consistently against GS like he wasn’t a massive negative. No coach remaining in the postseason would’ve given him run by game 3, when down 0-2. And I really believe teams like Milwaukee and GS would allow House to look as great as he can be.

This guy wasted the last couple years of Nene’s career even though he’s still a great defender, screen setter and very good passer(You guys will never get to understand how good Nene is at passing because of the rigidity of the offense).

sammy likes this.
  13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

For those out there complaining, remember when Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips got fired then promptly won a Super Bowl elsewhere?

BMoney, Patience and Remlap like this.
  14. Remlap

Remlap Member

Ummm, just one thing.
    Who are you going to replace him with?
    MDA's system is the engine that currently makes James run.

I've heard Thibs' name thrown around.
    Do you think a Thibs' offense could do what we are doing now?
    I've also heard Kelvin Sampson's name. A coach with ZERO head coaching experience. LOL

I get it. People don't like D'Antoni for us being the second best behind one of the greatest of all time.
    It's like taking Muhammed Ali to all 12 rounds and losing in a TKO so you want to fire the coach?
    It's frustrating for sure. But we didn't get blown out. We are STILL a great team with MDA at the helm
    And. LOL. People were praising the Blazers for making it to the WCF.
    How's THAT going for them so far? Who's the better team?
    By these standards Terry Stotts should promptly be fired. Same with Doc Rivers. Only won 2 games.
    They'll never make it

So who is it that's taking us to the promised land?
    We're just gonna say 'see ya' to the second winningest coach over the past 3 years and
    then look on the sale rack for a replacement?

I'm hearing a lot of FIRE D'Antoni. But I'm not hearing names of any solid replacements

#134 Remlap, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We have had threads with video break downs of in game adjustments, some articles written on adjustments we made in games and yet one of the prevailing I hate mike themes is that he doesn’t adjust. Also the crying over timeouts is one of the funniest complaints I have ever heard.

HP3 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey came up with the 3 and layup tactics. Harden can go on playing combo guard, does not need that babysitter no more. Credit given to Mike and it should expire.

You can keep all that stuff and bide your time till a good coach is available.

Why do ppl ask posters for names, the ballclub has pro scouts and they work out lists of candidates better than we do.

Budenholzer and Kerr are the most trending, find someone in that mold, not them obviously as they are bound.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Johsnon never made it back into the rotation after we couldnt use him. And we still got the number one seed so this point is moot.

LOL Faried and House, Nene IS OLD AS HELL, I do not get what these alternatives you are talking about. Clark though is what I feel he should have done better with.

Gerald Green was there in case he got hot, House was shook everyone saw that. And you couldnt throw Clark in like that at that point.

Newlin likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

B-I-N-G-O

Which is why you would think that if the organization likes him and likes him enough to extend him, maybe the scouts don’t like what’s available.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or Tilman has set his eyes on an alternative but that dude is not fired or free to go yet.

20. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Lol @dwhite a legend

Os Trigonum likes this.