1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers hire Frank Vogel

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 11, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

just my theory

Lakers want Kidd,
    but he comes w heavy baggage, tho happened several yrs ago,
    such as being arrested for a much publicized Domestic Violence incident, as well as a DUI
    in the era of "me-too", in a headline-driven environment like LA, they want to
    bring him in, under the spin of developing Lonzo, slowly. Should he manage to
    stay of trouble/bad PR for a year or two, they'll name him HC

2. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

No other team is hiring Kidd even as an assistant. This is the best job offer he is going to get right now.

malakas likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wow, even two sub par coaches like Monty and Lue rejected them...not sure why Vogel signed considering Kidd presence though.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I would wait until something better came along. Coach that got fired after taking his team to the playoffs is pretty good. It's not like Vogel is bottom of the barrel.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Anyone else reading this thread as "Lakers fire Frank Vogel"?

You know its coming.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Vogel is a pretty underrated coach imo, I like his resume more than MDA.

However he is analytics driven and we all know the King doesn't like analytics. He won't last long before Kidd becomes the new coach.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. pippsux

pippsux Member

Vogel better watch his back, Kidd so close he can taste it.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Damn, gotta watch his back for both LerBon & Kidd. :D

BigShasta likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

He has 15M reasons to accept their offer.

Lue and Monty still has interest around the league Vogel was sitting on his couch.

malakas and Vivi like this.
  10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Looks like the David Blatt + Tyronn Lue situation again, this time with NBA experienced coaches.

Nook likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Jason Kidd hired as an 'assistant' coach.
    [​IMG]

Kidd making in game adjustments
    [​IMG]

"Vogel, I see you"
    [​IMG]

Bonus: JKidd training young talent
    [​IMG]

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.

Kidd will attach himself to LeBron James and then slowly start undermining Frank Vogel's authority.

I like Vogel because he is very positive, treats his players well and coaches VERY hard.

The problem is that I don't think LeBron James is going to want to do things the way Vogel does. I also do not think that Vogel has the personality to deal with the politics involved in coaching the Lakers with LeBron James and Kidd on the bench.

GermanRoxFan and malakas like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Money and to stay relevant.

If the Lakers win, he can take some credit........ if the Lakers fail, he can vulture the job.

Most people see through the Kidd con by this point, but he is personable and knows the game well enough to sell himself...... what he doesn't tell people is that he is extremely lazy, has no impulse control and can barely manage his own life, let alone an NBA franchise.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Also Kidd doesnt have much time. For now as usual most of the media is still slow to pay real attention but after the playoffs end and when Bud wins also his COY award the comparisons will become starker and starker and he will end up being like Marc Jackson.
    He is in fact lucky he is a HOF player and he was in a small market with only two vanilla beat writers who dont dare to step on any toes otherwise the stories would have leaked for what he did there and how he psychologically and mentally abused his players.

15. xaos

xaos Member

Plot twist: Joe from Practical Jokers shows up to the first 10 games with an ear piece and plays pranks the whole game before being fired and Kidd takes over.

impractical-jokers.jpg

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why in God’s name would any body hire that wife beating low life pos an assistant

17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

They already had Kobe and now Lance playing for them. At this point hiring pieces of **** is basically part of the Lakers brand.

Nook likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colu...s-nba-free-agency-1.31267678?utm_source=tw_sp

KIDD STUFF
    If it seemed odd to see the Lakers install Frank Vogel as the head coach while insisting he take Jason Kidd along on his staff, according to one person at the Combine this week there could be something more in mind than just having a former head coach and maybe a coach in waiting behind Vogel.

It is just speculation right now, but one person asked me if I knew why Kidd was there and as I guessed at his relationship with LeBron James or his ability to tutor Lonzo Ball, the person familiar with the Lakers process said something else: that Kidd was brought to Los Angeles to attract Giannis Antetokounmpo to the Lakers when he becomes a free agent in two years when the Bucks star could become an unrestricted free agent.

Antetokounpo played for Kidd in Milwaukee for three and a half seasons beginning in his second season in the league. The notion of him leaving remains far off — and maybe less likely as he has the Bucks two wins away from the NBA Finals. The team had the best record in the NBA this season while playing in a brand new arena.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Maybe the Lakers should fire their GM for making that Westbrook trade. Oh wait, they can't fire LeBron.