1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Varys sent ravens. To other houses. Sansa v Danny's Army happening.

Chaos is a ladder! Littlefinger's protege about to school Westeros.

'Command suits you'

#1721 dachuda86, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    cebu likes this.
  2. cebu

cebu Member

in an interview Ser Davos said that he died together with 2 other men. Din't he help Tyrion to let Jaime escape? I hope they're not burning in the first scene of the last ep.

3. cebu

cebu Member

Can Bran control the dragon like he can control the birds?

Maybe Bron still has the mobile scorpion that can kill a dragon?

Just thinking out loud ;)

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Scorpians on the Red Keep? Like at all?? Really?

None hidden
    This was before they gave him a terminal case of THE STUPIDS
    Which they then gave to Varys

Tyrion got a touch of it . . . and because of his actions deserved to die as much as they did
    He has chosen family over good sense for the last 2 seasons

Rocket River

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but she could have just continued the slaughter rather than sitting there calmly until the bells rang. It was presented as if the surrender was the inspiration for her fit of destruction. I don't have a problem with the fact that her character had the desire to destroy and didn't want a surrender. It was just presented poorly, I thought.

arkoe and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

She wasn't "slaughtering" prior to the ringing of the bells. She was taking out all the military posts/targets.

She snapped when it turned out that they were willing to surrender, and her lust for vengence/revenge would be denied... unless she took matters into her own hands.

I agree, they could have spent +2 hours on her deciding internally whether or not to go mad... but then again, I feel like over-explaining the whole descent is also dumbing it down and forcing more scenes/dialgoue for an actress that is pretty one-dimensional in her range.

B-Bob and Kim like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I guess we just disagree that there seemed to be an organic motivation for her slaughter of Kings Landing based on the episode.

Why would she wait to see if her revenge was going to be denied? If she was going to slaughter the whole city no matter what was decided, why stop after taking out the military. Why not just slaughter right away. Waiting makes no sense. If they decided not to surrender she was going to slaughter the city. If they surrendered and didn't give her the chance to take vengeance she was going to slaughter the city. So why stop to wait and see if they were going to surrender? Why did them surrendering cause her to go over the edge?

I just thought it was poorly executed. I loved the other episodes this season. I thought they were better than the previous season's episodes. It's just this one had some flaws. There were other parts I liked.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The waiting, pausing, etc. is for dramatic effect... c'mon man.

This isn't real life. It's fiction. But even if you want to consider it to be reality, I can see a pathway where she already was set on destroying everything... but if there was a slight chance that Cersei was going to resist and fight back (which, according to Cersei in the episode, she fully planned on fighting till the end), her actions would then be justified.

She allowed that to present itself... when it turns out they were going to surrender, and she had won without a real fight, it wasn't the satisfaction she had anticipated. She needed to kill them all, and witnessing the surrender (hearing the bells) cemented that in her internal struggle.

In the end, these epic battle episodes were pretty well done despite the complaints. Those wanting something else really likely don't get satisfied by anything.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Perhaps we can make a reality TV show that's all about GOT disappointment among its most fervent fans.

ryan_98, sammy, JuanValdez and 5 others like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I got that it was for dramatic effect. That was my point. That choice didn't work and didn't seem organic in telling the story to me. I think they wanted to show that she was capable of murder, massacre, and inhumane cruelty. I just think they could have pulled that off in a better way. I also get that because she feels betrayed by Jon, she thinks she's justified in not keeping her promise to him. I get that might have played part in why she waited for the bells. I still think they could have presented the whole decision in a better way.

I believe that the character has the motivations from her past to want to do that. I just wish the episode would have presented it more effectively.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I might watch that show, you put 10 games of thrones fans and 10 games of thrones critics in a house, allow them to watch the episodes together, give them some games of thrones intelligence comps, as well as some physical comps, force them to tell us their theories, and then each week we vote one off.

12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Agreed. I agree with the people saying she had a reason to go mad. The writers clearly showed things that would make her go mad, but she never reacted to any of it, and it happened too quickly. If it was written and acted better, and the pacing was slower, then the writers could have brought us to a point where we believed she would burn the city down. A slow descent into madness. However they didn't do a good job, and it seemed like she just snapped when the bells rang and killed innocents for no good reason. They built her up as the freer of slaves and defender of the weak for 6 seasons and in a few episodes she completely flipped on that.

They showed us that she was maniacal about the throne by telling everyone to bend a knee. They didn't show us the madness that would lead her too kill thousands of civilians.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It would have been more believable if somewhere they had some dialogue about how King's Landing betrayed her family or something to that effect. There was no warning that she would kill innocent people

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If they even just showed a small clip of the reaction of the commoners having angry scolding faces that Dany can visibly see when she landed and she got triggered thinking the commoners were not appreciative, that would make so much more narrative sense.

A god damn 10 second clip would make Dany's character assassination make so much more sense.

rockbox likes this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Are there people that didn't like ep. 5? I thought it was apropos, the spawn of the Mad King proves she is unworthy of the iron throne, I thought it was great. All it was missing was Sansa's fine ass

What?! How tf did you not see that coming? Missandei's head and Rhaegal was warning enough

Character assassination? Dude how long have you been watching this show? She's always been hungry for power, she burns people alive with her dragons, had Drogo kill her brother with molten gold. Now that she's so close to claiming the throne when all of a sudden the man she loves has a stronger claim to said throne than she does. Then Rhaegal is killed and Missandei is decapitated, what did you expect when the blood of the Mad King runs through her veins

#1735 Fantasma Negro, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Wooderson likes this.
  16. cebu

cebu Member

since you mentioned it. the following Monday morning after the long night episode, a couple of guys in the office elevator talking GoT and one mentioned about Arya killing the NK, and one guy went ballistic for hearing it cuz he hasn't watched the show. it was like a road-rage in an elevator. Stupid americans :).

Fantasma Negro, arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree that the execution wasn't perfect but I did find these last few episodes well thought out.

Let's not forget that she was also a big reason they stood again the NK and even after the victory, very few people gave her any credit.....added by all the other loses and it leads up to that "no one loves me here." moment......

I've been enjoying the season, I think this was just destined to be b****ed about endlessly regardless......

mikol13 and sammy like this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

but what did she lose exactly? it looks like she still has her entire army ;)

but good point. she did save the north big time and i can't even remember anyone actually showing her gratitude as it was mostly all directed at Jon

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is the terrible writing. It looked like she lost all her dothraki army and most of her unsullied, but they were there in full force. Euron was able to take down a dragon, but her other dragon is invincible.