1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden guarding KD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by realonemo, May 2, 2019.

1. realonemo

realonemo Member

I noticed that James was on Durant last game. My question is since no one can guard KD so why not let PJ crash the glass and play loose ?

Voltik likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are u suggesting making Harden the primary defender on KD?

tycoonchip likes this.
  3. TheSource

TheSource Member

why not?

4. Mike Breen

Mike Breen Member

We cant ask for even more from James Harden. We need other guys to do their roles

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

So we want Harden to be the primary defender on KD while also needing to drop 35-40 on the other end and set up guys like Capela and Tucker?

So we don’t care if he gets worn down?

Dankstronaut and Sajan like this.
  6. realonemo

realonemo Member

This is why losing Ariza is a big deal. That size is just can't be replaced.

Mathloom, mike2k132 and noppeper like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

this is what allows us to play very small.

Tucker on Draymond.
    Harden on KD.
    Eric on Klay
    Austin on Iggy
    CP3 on Steph.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Would switch austin on steph

9. SemisolidSnake

Question: Where can one best find data down to this granular level of who defended whom on which possessions? (And if you know, maybe give me a link or tell me where to go on the website, because I get easily lost in these stat websites. Thank you.) It doesn't surprise me that James can guard KD. I was already curious before this what it looks like when other people guard KD.

Mathloom likes this.
  10. Mike Breen

Mike Breen Member

Id like to have access to this data down to the sub atomic level

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I actually thought Harden played him really well. Honestly James had a great game given the circumstances and he's not the reason we lost. Our rebounding is probably the biggest reason, and then our turnovers after that. We cut the game to 4 points and then gave up back breaking second chances, and even though we can blame House, I actually thought Capela was the biggest culprit as a big man who is not regularly coming down with boards, protecting the rim, or executing on the offensive end. PJ's missed three in the 4th was also pretty big.

12. TheSource

TheSource Member

I mean Tucker and Harden can take turns since they are on the floor together at all times anyways and it well help with foul trouble with tucker since he has been in foul trouble in both games already.

13. SemisolidSnake

Seriously. What spin state were all of Harden's and Durant's electrons in during these possessions? Does quantum tunneling correlate in some way to Harden's tunneling through defenses? Morey, you're missing vital analytics here!

Also, maybe Clint's sick because he's being affected by higher-than-average neutrino bombardment. It's possible; after all, neutrinos only interact via the WEAK force.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

James has actually been our best defender this series ... no matter who he's guarding .

Deckard likes this.
  15. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

I like Harden on Durant. Durant is the type of guy that noone can guard. All he does is jumpers anyways. If he hits his jumpers than we're screwed and if he miss, we're good. And we all know he can choke really easily just throwing shots up. Check out his OKC shooting percentage.

16. AB423

AB423 Member

Why not? It’s the playoffs and he’s the mvp. That’s what mvps do, step up when the team needs him.

Deckard and tycoonchip like this.
  17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It's obviously not the only reason, but PJ was also in foul trouble.

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I also noticed Harden playing the best defense on KD. Maybe down the stretch have him defend Durant a little more and Chris Paul can show his worth by taking on the offensive load.

Embrace the clutch and Deckard like this.
  19. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

It is not really Capela’s fault against warriors. The matchup is just terrible. He has really fast feet for a center but you can’t expect him to constantly get pick/switch out top and be able to guard and rebound at the same time against a non-traditional team like the warriors small ball line up. Capela is good at his own unique skill set but he is being nullified by the length of Draymond and Durant which makes the lob ineffective. That further deters hardens game as he has one less weapon to use against them. The only way to make them pay is to constantly makes the floater which is extremely hard to do. At the end of the day, the match up is just not good for us and it is not just one player’s fault. Beside all the matchup problems and all, analytical and effort from the rockets has kept us within striking distance in both games. I’m quite optimistic about the series and we definitely have a higher chance than what others are given even tho we are down 0-2. Believe it or not but if the rockets can hold onto the home court, I see us winning 4-2 and play blazers in the western finals.

20. Voltik

Voltik Member

I would prefer Tucker on Dray for the boards and Harden on Durant, but Harden needs to go and eat up space and/or put a body on someone for the rebound afterwards. Worriers will switch Harden on Curry, thereby switching CP3 on Durant and having 2 favorable matches. As the previous poster mentioned, CP3 on Igudola would prevent this but also allow CP3 to preserve energy for offense.