1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gobert and the 3 Second Rule

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Apr 24, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why doesn't it ever get called? A couple years ago I feel like it was called on Dwight every time, when he was too dumb to reposition. Snyder has Gobert do it intentionally.

This is the Jazz's equivalent of Golden State's moving screens, old San Antonio's phantom flops in the lane, or Houston's (occasional) step-back travel. Stick the best rim defender in the league right in the middle, 6 feet away from the guy he's 'guarding'. The refs let it go.

I will donate $25 to the Clutchfans tipjar for every time this is called in game 5, out of sheer surprise.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm assuming you mean on the offensive end? I noticed this too actually on few plays - mainly on plays where Utah gets an offensive rebound.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It honestly hasn't been that egregious imo.

Maybe I'm not able to recognize because they are giving him the lane and hes stepping up to contest.

I'll have to pay attention because it's possible I'm not concentrating because of him switching who he defends and thus could be staying parked in the restricted.

Nothing new tho. We seen San Antonio do this with Pau.

cbs1507 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I haven't seen this as a problem honestly.

lets see if there's any instances where this is not being called tonight. but to this point so far non issue to me

cbs1507 and BigMaloe like this.
  5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

on offense or defense?

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes.

7. napalm06

I meant on the Jazz's defensive end. I haven't paid as much attention when the Jazz are on offense.

Tfor3 likes this.
  8. napalm06

Watch for it.

Hopefully I'll be making a tipjar donation.

Of course it's been very difficult for these refs to understand that a ball off a non-moving knee is not a kick ball. Therefore I shouldn't expect them to be able to count to 3.

Blurr#7, Voltik and justtxyank like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I just noticed this is geared towards defense. it's not 3 seconds with the defense they are playing. not really sure what you're seeing

10. napalm06

I don't know what defense you think Gobert is playing but it ain't on the perimeter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Coach went nuts on one play for this very issue.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

same one him and favors has been doing all series long. just funneling harden towards them

13. HookemHorns1250

The main time that it’s really noticeable is when we switch and Harden or Paul on him, and he tries to post up in the lane. Ingles or Rubio spend 3-4 seconds alone trying to actually get it to him. Then there’s the long lob, and Gobert gets it and waits a second before shooting.

It’s like 6-7 seconds before he actually shoots it.

napalm06 likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

Well we dont know for sure, unless you've went back and watched already.

Gobert starts in the paint guarding capela in the short corner. Hes standing under the rim during this, in my memory.

He then steps forward, while still in the paint, as Harden drives the lane. He repositions in the paint to block the drive(while corner defender rotates to box out capela).

He then steps forward to contest Harden floater, lob and prevent the drive.

It MAY be an abuse of the 3 seconds in the paint. I just havent been paying attention because I'm seeing it as Gobert rotating on defense.

Which could be a loophole they are exploiting that the refs arent noticing or not used to.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

he isn't talking about offense

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

They have offense?? I didn't know

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They haven't called much on Gobert this series. Don't expect it to change.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes allowed to do that though. he can stay in the paint all day long, so long as capela is within range of him or he actually touches him to reset the count

19. BigMaloe

Hes not tho. That's the 3 second rule.

He has to step outside the paint "to reset the clock". Or touch Capela but he likely isnt because of where Capela is parked.

Hes not stepping outside the paint. Instead of stepping out to tag or reset his feet, hes rotating defense assignments.

Which could be something the refs arent noticing or recognizing, allowing him to be parked in the paint.

RichieBanks likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

the paint doesn't indicate the 3 second rule for a player on defense. the 3 second rule just means a defender either needs to be actively guarding someone or within arms length of an opposing player. he doesn't need to step out of the paint to reset anything

its the offensive player that cannot be in the paint for 3 seconds. If capela is on that short corner block waiting for that lob thats possibly coming, gobert can stay in the paint if that's where capela is. that's legal

#20 YOLO, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019