1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Democrats are singularly obsessed with finding something they can use to damage the President"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ann Althouse quotes this line from today's Washington Post article:

"Democrats are singularly obsessed with finding something they can use to damage the President politically."

Says the lawsuit Trump has filed against House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah E. Cummings to block congressional subpoena of his financial records, WaPo reports.
    And comments:

Hating Trump has taken precedence over fundamental liberal values, and the shallowness of the belief in those values is revealed in the way people don't even notice what they are subordinating to their... singular obsession.
    Are the Democrats in the House substituting harassment for impeachment? I believe there is a good argument to be made that this is what is happening. I think it's time for the Democrats to put up or shut up: impeach the President or allow him to govern until the next Presidential election.

at https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/04/democrats-are-singularly-obsessed-with.html

discussing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...cfeff232e8f_story.html?utm_term=.56451f918119

Astrodome and dachuda86 like this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A president doesn't have to show his tax returns. If he isnt under indictment for financial crimes a subpoena for said records is over the top.

Period

Its just a fishing expedition that looks like sour grapes after the collusion stupidity

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Speaking of obsessed...

Deckard likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Amazing that a lawsuit from Trump's legal team is stating they are being harassed.

Couldn't find a group of people more objective and without bias.

Thanks for this insight @Os Trigonum

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you're welcome

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Next thing you're going to tell me is Trump's legal team believes he didn't obstruct justice and all these investigations are witch hunts.

Hard hitting journalism.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I simply believe it is time for Democrats to put up or shut up: either he obstructed justice as you suggest and should be impeached, or you don't believe that strongly enough and should just shut up.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

You think it's that simple. I'm pretty sure the Democrats are worried that impeachment would fail because of the Senate which is probably their number one reason for being hesitant.

The GOP senators live in states where the GOP voting population are adhearing to singularly framed news sources such as Fox News and their Facebook news feed. We live in an age where a President could literally skull **** a toddler and politicans still have to support their party president because when they go back home to face re-election, their constituents are hive mind zombies living off partisan media which didn't exist no where near to this extent when we had previous obviously corrupt Presidents like Nixon.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congress has a responsibility for oversight, and that includes investigating Trump when the special counsel is encouraging it.

10. dmoneybangbang

So.... politics.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Then why would Trump say he would release them?

It sucks Trump makes claims and then takes the cowards way out...

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

hmm im still raging about obamas tan suit

[​IMG]

adoo likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

I fail to see a legislative justification for the subpoenaing of Trump's tax returns.

Feels like there should be a concrete justification for such an act other than mere curiosity and desire to play "gotcha."

Don't Trumps tax returns fall under the purview of the IRS?

Astrodome likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Genuine questions.

Why do you think Trump is not releasing his returns when every major candidate in the past 50 years has done so?

Why has Trump walked back his promise that after he is elected he would release them?

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To go forward with an impeachment, the House will have to do a bunch of investigating -- including getting the Mueller report and the underlying evidence -- to mount the impeachment case. So maybe they are putting up?

When Trump abuses his power (e.g. declares an emergency to pull a budget trick to build a wall), he's just exercising all the tools of his office. When Congress does it, they're suddenly not morally justified to use their powers in what way they see fit. We're in an amoral political era where all the power players are going to do what they can get away with.

dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

I don't need the "whataboutism" - I was just under the impression that for congress to subpoena something like Trump's tax returns there would have to be a legislative justification. I haven't seen that justification offered. Without that justification I would consider it harassment.

17. fchowd0311

I genuinely believe you haven't taken an honest opportunity to read what the House Democrats' legal justifications are.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trump definitely pushes the envelope. However our routine mundane checks and balances have kept him in check

Declaring an emergency at the border maybe total bs but its not an action worthy of impeachment

19. HTM

HTM Member

I think Trump understands his tax returns will be used as a political weapon against him. As soon as they are released 1,000 democratic accountants will be pouring over them trying their damnedest to play "gotcha."

If Trump cheated on his taxes let the IRS handle it. That's what they are there for right?

As far as I know, nothing requires a president or candidate to release his tax returns. I suppose past Presidents and candidates have made a political calculation to release their returns. Trump's taxes, obviously, have a much greater opportunity to be weaponized than the vanilla tax returns of career politicians the Democrats are putting forward.

What is the legislative justification for asking for his tax returns? Why Does Congress need them?

Astrodome likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

I'm happy to read them. Would you provide them?