1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins: James Harden should be the unanimous MVP over Giannis Antetokounmpo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 12, 2019.

1. izeroi

izeroi Member

This is 100% true. If you're still using the excuse Harden doesn't play D then you don't watch Harden/Rockets regularly. People who still use that excuse are associating it with the time he didn't (as a fan I can honestly say there were years he was a black hole in that area) and are just holding on to it to throw into any opposing Harden argument they have.

Harden could be a prime time lock down defender and bone heads on social media/sports outlets would still say "but he doesn't play defense".

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It absolutely makes a difference. It also helped his voting tally last year that he didn't win it the year before. Imagine if he won the MVP over Westbrook and flamed out against the Spurs as he did. Does he still win MVP last year instead of LeBron? It shouldn't matter, but psychologically it does with voters.

Lawlruschang and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Its annoying as hell how the media is trying to push the MVP to giannes over pity.

Sure, his story is great, inspiring, whatever you want to call it, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the MVP decision. but literally right when the season ends we hear about all these stories trying to sway toward him. ESPN/bleacher report are pathetic.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty sure Will Cain is a Mavs fan.

He's a Cowboy fan so likely a Mavs fan so the Rocket hate makes a lot of sense then.

Lawlruschang, Tfor3 and Deuce like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Harden finished second in the NBA in steals.

That YouTube video from a few years ago that edited together Harden's bad defensive plays (which can be done to anyone) seems to have permanently colored every (lazy) analysis of his game.

Lawlruschang, Tfor3 and D-rock like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

people just won't believe that Harden is a good defender now. It's sad but true.

it's also annoying that I never heard a single mention of defense when Steph Curry won b2b mvps. But suddenly now it's uber important.

7. AB423

AB423 Member

Wow that’s the first thing Ryan Hollins has ever said that made sense

8. JW86

JW86 Member

That anger and laughing by those ESPN guys shows their bias, I mean seriously, saying stop it and shouting? I would've walked away. Ridiculous!

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Lmao that white guy is an idiot. Keeps talking about defense " oh he had 4 blocks on Embid, oh he plays defense, oh he's on the best team" please someone tell this guy this is not the DPOY award.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Given that the whole point of hot take shows is to say the absurd things that we know are bullshit, I would say this is a bad sign for Harden that Giannis will be nearly a unanimous MVP.....at least Harden will get one vote from Wilbon.

D-rock likes this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Will Cain. So annoying.

"Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop."

I would say he's the worst, and he might be, but there is some pretty tough competition for the worst

Lawlruschang, Tfor3, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Man I was feeling what Hollins was saying until he said he would take Middleton over CP3..

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

u didn’t hear about defense for Curry because many in the media don’t view him as a terrible defender like they do Harden

you’ll be surprised how many people think Curry is a slightly above average defender...I saw that a lot the past few years

there are people who think he didn’t do a bad job on Harden when switched onto him during the WCF...I’m pretty sure Nate Duncan or Danny Leroux is 1 of them

D-rock likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I shouldn’t have watched. People making the MVP case for Harden need to be fully prepared to give all of Harden’s defensive stats or it’s going to look like he just doesn’t play D which we all know is not true.

I’m ridiculously frustrated with the hate and lack of respect Harden gets.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I still dont get the "defense" argument for MVP - i dont recall Steph Curry being DPOY candidate for his "unanimous" MVP. You never hear about Westbrook's stellar all-defense caliber defense...

Lawlruschang, D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Rockets won 60 games, I think Harden would have won it. But with the Bucks having 60 wins Giannis gets it. It's just how it works.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

all by-products of a wholly rigged league. if you feel disgusted now bro, just wait till the 2nd round

slothy420 and Handles like this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

jason mcintyre comes to mind

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

WHo is this WIll Cain loser, hly ****

Lawlruschang likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

ESPN and cable news is like that because analysis is not enough. This is drama for the viewer to be infotained.

Like cable news, it also means a narrative is easier to sneak in.

slothy420 likes this.