1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last roster spot speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. basketballholic

He started it. I did not bring Capela up.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I fundamentally agree with all this.

If I were @BimaThug, and I calculated Morey making head-scratcher moves that take him $32k over the tax line, unnecessarily, I’d question my calculations, not Morey.

So, I’m left thinking Bima has confirmed several things with Morey himself, or Feigen, like when House’s 45 days actually did expire. That said, if not, the @basketballholic suggestion that House didn’t actually finish his 45-days back in January is solid.

#122 heypartner, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Both of you need to take a time out

D-rock likes this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

...or, to put it differently: Trust the Process!

D-rock likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why is it no one else can get this kind of admission from Holic?

@BimaThug, I bow before your prodigious powers of persuasion!

6. basketballholic

No it doesn't mean Qi is better than Capela. My opinion is that he is.

Your second point though that not a single GM wants him.... your can't prove that. They may want him but cannot make it happen presently due to other contracts, etc. Just because he hasn't signed doesn't mean he isn't wanted. You should not be surprised if we sign him back. It may happen.

I am going to pat myself on the back here for a moment. My track record on young players speaks for itself. I'm not wrong very often. Go back and track me. Dinwiddie, Whiteside, Boban, Vanvleet, McConnell, Richaun, Bolden, Caris, Jamal Murray, House Jr. Bruno, many others. I was on those guys early. Look at what I said about ther 2018 draft. Luka and Trae are the two best players. I said that way before the draft, while Trae was still playing and while he was slumping at OU because the opponents were surrounding him with three defenders and over a year ago when Luka was in Europe and the narrative on him from many was slow, white guy. Most of what I wrote was laughed at. I don't care. I was right on all of them. Yes, I've missed a few. A few. Not many. Every once in a while miss on once. But not often. I've also told your when guys were going to bust or be wasted draft picks. I told you Andre Drummond would never win. He won't. Everybody kept pumping him at the draft. I told you what he was. Many others too.

You should consider what I say about players. I'm not always right. But I'm right the overwhelming majority of the time. My record speaks for itself.

The 45 days is prorated since the signing took place on Dec. 6/7. By my calculations, we had 32 days to use. He played in 20 games. So that leaves 12 days out of the remaining 20. I'm speculating we only used 7-9 of those days and we left 3-5 days available for later. Morey is too smart to leave himself high and dry with House.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I always listen to everyone including you. I admired your thinking about Holmes and Dinwiddie. I'm not a big fan of college basketball, that's why I rely on others' knowledge and opinions including yours. I try to come to come to my own conclusions after observing mostly Rocket players as much as I can. I like Qi's shot blocking. He has potential to shoot the 3 ball. The G-league helped to slow down the game for him to some extent. It was unfortunate that he got injured, but I believe lack of speed, strength and stamina are formidable challenges for him to overcome. I think he needs more experience before he can attempt another NBA comeback. GM's do take gambles, but the fact that no one else has it done so far regarding him is suggestive that he is far away.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I have always maintained that it was *possible* there was something not of public record that might account for that $32k discrepancy. But Bobby Marks -- who is tapped in directly with league sources and presumably has access to actual NBA signing dates, etc. -- has the same $32k overage that I do. Hence, my consternation about all this and the possibility that the Rockets made a(n extremely rare) error here.

But yes, I am nevertheless hopeful there is something we simply don't know about that would offset the $32k discrepancy. (One theory I had was if Zhou Qi were re-signed in the CBA to a big-money deal, set off rights might take the Rockets back below the tax line. However, I don't see any news of Zhou signing elsewhere.)

heyp, keep in mind that Danuel House's NBA Days of Service under his two-way contract were PRORATED based on when he was signed. A two-way player only gets 45 NBA Days of Service if he is signed before the start of the regular season. After that, it prorated downward. I think House was only allowed about 22 or 23 NBA Days of Service (the exact number escapes me at the moment).

Bottom line: I sincerely hope that the Rockets know something no one outside the organization (or the league office) knows that accounts for and offsets this $32k discrepancy. But none of the publicly-available salary cap information out there supports this. With Capela now needing to go 12-12 from the FT line to meet his FT% incentive, it is likely this will all be a moot point. But I'll nevertheless stand by my assertion that -- based on the information available -- there may have been a rare misstep by the Rockets' front office here.

Kim, D-rock, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

I doubt Clint goes 12-12 fellas lol. I think it's in his head.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

RE: Bobby Brown.

[​IMG]

cc @heypartner

topfive likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is my believe that Morey would not *go out of his way* to tweet the Trust The Process tweet response if there was an *error.*

I believe that was just a slight hat tip thrown Bima's way that they got this. And that we don't know all of the cards.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  12. heypartner

I missed that regarding the 45-days are prorated downward if signed after the season starts. thx for pointing that out.

But, your 20 games = 20 days of service is not the definition of the NBA Days that he can play. Pretty much all days count, except No Practice\Workout Days or late night travel days returning back to Houston.

Definition of Day of Service from the CBA:

A Two-Way Player will accrue one day of service
    for an NBA Team (an “NBA Day of Service”) for
    each calendar day during the NBA Regular Season
    during which the player (i) is on the NBA Team’s
    Active List for an NBA game, (ii) participates in
    any practice, basketball drill, conditioning, workout,
    or other such activity with one or more players on
    the NBA Team under the direction and supervision
    of the NBA Team, or (iii) travels with or at the
    direction of (including remaining on the road with)
    the NBA Team, other than if the only travel during
    that day is return travel to the NBA Team’s home
    city that takes place between 12:00 midnight and
    1:00 a.m; provided, however, that a Two-Way
    Player will not accrue an NBA Day of Service for
    traveling between his NBADL team and NBA
    Team.
    Anyhoot: I'm pretty sure Feigen asked and was told the day House's NBA Days would end. We'd have to assume that was wrong.

13. basketballholic

I did not define games as the only days of service. I simply stated days of service is a gray area. And we're don't know exactly what days that werent game days during that time counted and what ones didn't. But I SUSPECT there were still 3-6 days left to use when they brought him back.

14. heypartner

Yeah, I missed that. Must be hard to calculate prorated days by definition of Days of Service. Is it based on all days gone by, or only possible days gone by?

Regardless, I recall Feigen asking the org for end date, so I'm with you that the end date was eventually reported.

fwiw: Dec 6th to Jan 14th (House played those days, was waived on 12/3) is 40 days, and we can assume some of those days didn't count as Days of Service (like one day off for xmas on 24th or 26th, and Jan 6th travel day). Possibly many, as I recall MDA saying they aren't practicing...maybe explicitly to lengthen House's availability, while Paul was injured.

#134 heypartner, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Disgust.

topfive likes this.
  16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

This one’s for you, ‘holic!

D-rock, Houtho, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  17. basketballholic

I think what this means is we actually converted House Jr. on or around March 19-23rd. At least 5 days later that the publicized March 13. This woud have given enough room for the Chiozza signing. And it appears we're may have possibly stretched that 5 days to just game days and converted House Jr. on March 23rd. I personally don't think Morey would take any kind of risk Capela going whatever to reach his FT incentive.

Regardless, Capela isn't reaching his FT percentage.

And a couple takeaways... that prove what I've previously stated about Morey. Morey is deceptive. NBA deceptive. Like a great point guard with the crossover. When you read the press release on Chiozza it clearly says signs for remainder of the season. But now we find out it was remainder of season guaranteed followed by 2 non-guaranteed years. Same thing with house jr. Made it look like his 32 days were up but actually saved several days.

(I'm actually wondering if the Vegas Winter classic had been ruled "outside the g league season".)

Same thing with leaks.

And I'm still wondering if we're going to run Gary Clark through waivers to see if he gets claims. If he gets claimed, we will have around $1.4-1.5 million to sign someone.

Or Morey could release him on Wednesday and use the 500k to sign someone. The thinking being that nobody will pick him up at the end of the season.

#137 basketballholic, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Not sure this means what you’re saying. It could be some sort of offset we’re just not thinking of.

Also, I have no interest in waiving Gary Clark. I like him as a young developmental PF in this system who can defend, rebound and stretch the floor on offense. He has a chance to stick as an 8th man type (or better) if he pans out. (That, and his 2019-20 salary is still 50% guaranteed, so they won’t want to risk eating that dead money.)

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  19. basketballholic

That would depend on how they felt about another player. But I have to assume that your source has already told you we're not waiving him.

I wouldn't be worried about his cap hit if he's waived and goes unclaimed. We're not going to be a cap space team. It's simply a matter of the luxury tax. And I think there's a chance we could talk him out of that little guarantee. Not that it would really matter. But..... we may be able to get him to agree to a buyout if he clears waivers. If he's waived on or before April 10th he's owed $1.4 million by us next season. If stretched that would be 472k we would owe him each of the next 3 seasons. We could go ahead and re- sign him if he clears waivers and agrees to a buyout, give him $500k on April 10, as part of MLE deal and give him a million guarantee for next season or 500k guaranteed each of next two seasons....

Clark may be willing to do that in lieu of staying on the roster, not playing in 2 playoff games.... and therefore not be guaranteed at all next season.

Like you. I like Clark as a developmental role player. Just like I like Chiozza and Frazier the same way. And I have been very clear that we really need to develop at least one (and preferably two) primary rotation players that are in either rookie deals or extended low- salary deals So I'm all for that. And I think Chiozza for sure could wind up being a very good backup for Paul. And if Frazier learns how to D up... he could make Gordon expendable.

But a couple things are painfully obvious to me at this time.

1. As constructed currently, we're are also-rans. I hate saying it. And I hope everyday that I'm dead wrong. But the way I see it, unless we get another guy on this current roster with some length that can both switch defend effectively and catch the basketball and fire up 3's quickly and accurately enough to force Draymond to be honest and face guard on the perimeter, we will wind up in third place in the playoffs.

2. Clark is simply not ready to do that. I like the guy I see his value as a project. But he's not going to help us make a run here.

With that in mind. .. we need another move. And I realize you aren't going to agree. But if we did waive Clark... and another team picked him up that gives us a nice chunk of money to hand to an experienced player that could really help us into May. And on into next season.

And if he wasn't claimed, with the afore mentioned buyout, both he and us could come out ahead.

Your tweets with the "source" though... make me think you already know this isn't happening.

20. basketballholic

I still think there could be another roster move. Either Clark or Shumpert waived.... maybe both. And another player in between April 10-12.