1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26415108/nba-awards-predictions-should-win

Most Valuable Player

In a close vote, our panel is taking Antetokounmpo over Harden. Interestingly, Antetokounmpo has a much more clear advantage in our panel's pick for who will win the awards, rather than who should.

Who Should Win?
    PLAYER POINTS 1ST-PLACE (%)
    1. Giannis Antetokounmpo | MIL 158 50
    2. James Harden | HOU 151 45
    3. Paul George | OKC 19 2.5
    4. Stephen Curry | GSW 12 2.5
    5. Nikola Jokic | DEN 5 0

Others receiving votes: Joel Embiid, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Damian Lillard and Karl-Anthony Towns

Who will win?
    Giannis Antetokounmpo: 68 percent
    James Harden: 32 percent

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

It’s pretty ridiculous that anyone is voting for Giannis. In a normal year, yea he is a MVP.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone in the modern year has ever had a season as good as Harden. Better than anyone Kobe, Iverson and MJ.

Is this the greatest season of all time?

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Told y'all all season this is how it'd end up. Close votes do not go to Harden. Never have, never will.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You don’t have to be on the best team to win MVP. That’s not historically accurate. You just need to be on a great team. The Rockets clearly are a title contender this season.

Westbrook’s thunder were wholly mediocre when he got MVP.

5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Me at the buffet if Giannis wins it over Harden.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

2nd to Wilt season averaging 50 points but best season in modern era.

Needs to average +37.2 to put exclamation point IMO.

TheRealAllpro and hakeem94 like this.
  7. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

What makes me laugh is, we have a pretty much similar record to the Bucks in the last 53/54 games or so. Our record is 40-14 and their record is 41-12.

So can they really keep using that excuse of why Giannis should be MVP because we started the season off slowly? If we started the season with the players we have now, and if we didn't have all those key injuries for a lot of those games, I'd even say we'd have close to 60 wins.

#667 aliadiere25, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Richie_Rich, Reeko, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do both.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget the fight that got CP suspended.

10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

And they played 4 times against the Knicks, the Cavs, the Bulls and the Hawks.

Reeko, hakeem94 and Mr. Space City like this.
  11. Handles

Handles Member

MPP award looking like it will go to the new popular kid on the block, even though I think Harden has a stronger case in basically every respect. Truly is the MPP, most popular player. Half the voters don’t even watch games. Should be voted on by NBA personnel.

Giannis MPP and DPOY
    Bud COTY
    Harden MVP

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One is in the Rockets control, the other isn't. **** that fake ass popularity trophy, and win a championship. Period.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

54 wins
    +37.2 points season average
    2nd seed in West
    Win NBA championship

All controllable for Rockets and would result with championship ring AND a MVP for Harden.

First 3 are easier than 4th IMO.

14. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

also with giannis being with nike and all these major corps backing them im not suprised. I sold my 2k19 because 2k would put hardens overall player rating above lebron. Im playing live 19 and harden is rated a 98 while giannis is a 96 with lebron being a 95

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But the first 3 are literally playing out as you said, and Harden is NOT going to win the MVP. That trophy is NOT in Harden's or the Rockets' control.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I was starting to wonder if maybe one of the reasons Giannis seems to have this locked up was maybe a lot of people had him as their preseason pick to win it and since he’s a worthy candidate they want to have their predictions come true.

Google search was not what I remembered in the preseason. TONS of Lebron predictions. After that AD and Giannis seemed to be the next most common. Harden in the small group after them.

17. Handles

Handles Member

Lol I mentioned this in another thread. It’s my favorite conspiracy theory. If harden signed with Nike he’d be 3x MVP this year and we win the championship last year. Ever read that book “shoe dog” by Phil Knight? Nike is the exact type of company that would hold a grudge and pay media/NBA to sway opinions.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

WHO'S WINNING THE MVP DEBATE IN NBA LOCKER ROOMS? GIANNIS, HARDEN, OR PG?

19. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I can name a few seasons that is comparable.

1.Curry's 15-16 season: best team success, insane three pointer shooting, great scoring efficiency with decent volume.
    2. MJ's 87-88 season: best two way season ever, DPOY + scoring over 35 points per game with good efficiency(60% TS)
    3. Lebron's 08-09 season: great all around performance, led a untalented team(Mo Williams was their 2nd best player) to more than 65 wins.

durvasa likes this.
  20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member