1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin to be bought out by Hawks, sign with Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are trying to switch the topic off his bad play
    And interfering with Rockets fans talking about him because you can’t stand it

2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Yes, I decided that I wasn't a fan of Harden's personality based on his reputation for dating strippers. I do not think that hanging out at an after-hours club is the same thing.

When did I pretend Lin is a saint? And is being drunk trying to pick up chicks the same thing as dating a stripper? it's not even remotely the same thing IMHO...in your opinion it might be the exact same thing, but I am not going to tell you that your judgement is wrong for you...you have your own priorities and opinions in life, and it's not my place to judge you for that.

What is my agenda? I am a Lin fan, and my opinion of him is different from yours. What's the crime in that?

3. tinman

Supporting Member

No you dislike Harden cause he was significantly better and that Lin is off the team cause he never fit cause of bad ball handling , and low basketball iq

Patrick Beverley is a much better player than Lin and that’s why he got demoted

4. yoeddy

I agree with everything you wrote in the first paragraph. I disagree with the idea that Lin hasn't improved his game at all since his Linsanity days...even Kevin McHale thinks he has improved in most respects in his game....particularly his defense and his ability to go left, which many people correctly pointed to as weaknesses in his early NBA days.

And yes, I agree with you that he did get plenty of opportunities and for the most part has had a solid NBA career.

5. yoeddy

Why is asking to be bought out by the Hawks for a better opportunity an example of "pointing fingers at everyone else but himself"?

6. yoeddy

I am trying to talk basketball, but you keep bringing up all this other stuff.

7. yoeddy

I have posted plenty about how Lin has played badly since joining the Raptors. Am happy to discuss it more. You guys are the ones who are bringing up all this other stuff.

8. yoeddy

Patrick Beverley is a better fit next to Harden as a 3 and D guy. But he is not anywhere near the playmaker or scorer that Lin was before Lin's injury.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There must be an achievement point for making a member named "RudyTBag" seriously grossed and creeped out.

yoeddy likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Patrick Beverly is a starter for the majority of his career

Jeremy Lin is a bench player the majority of his career

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/6001/patrick-beverley-deserves-to-start-over-jeremy-lin/

The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

While critics hammer the Rockets for benching Jeremy Lin, the numbers paint an entirely different picture: Patrick Beverley is the best fit as the starter.

[​IMG]
    By

Clutch

Published on January 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    No longer a debate: Patrick Beverley has established himself as the clear starter in Houston

The five most-watched videos ever on ClutchFans are as follows: Three Jeremy Lin highlights, a Jeremy Lin interview and a clip of Patrick Beverley being thrown to the floor.

So trust me when I say I know what many fans want to hear. I know how easy it would be right now to be that pageview-pushing troll who writes that Kevin McHale has an irrational dislike of Jeremy Lin and is killing a championship team because of it.

Unfortunately I can’t do that, because it’s just not true.

Jeremy Lin should not start for the Houston Rockets. That job belongs to Patrick Beverley right now, and frankly, it’s not even a close call anymore.

When Beverley went down with a fractured hand in December, expected to be out four to six weeks, it gave Jeremy Lin the perfect opportunity to show he was the right fit in the starting lineup. After all, the criticism coming from some of Lin’s fans was that there was no way of knowing how Lin would do in the same position, if given the same starting opportunity.

First, we have to understand what makes up the starting lineup. James Harden, Dwight Howard and Chandler Parsons are absolute locks. The Rockets are thin at power forward options, but Terrence Jones has emerged and is developing rapidly. He has been the starter for over two months and, barring trade, that’s not going to change anytime soon.

So that’s the gig in Houston: The point guard that maximizes and complements this starting core is the one that should start.

Take a look at how those four have done with Beverley compared to with Lin. The results so far show that the Rockets were right all along to start Patrick out of the gate this season.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind, this is only the data with those players, so last night’s incredible +26 performance from Beverley — a game where it was blatantly obvious the kind of impact he has on this team — doesn’t even factor in since Terrence Jones didn’t play.

What this shows us is that per 100 possessions, Houston’s starting core with Beverley outproduces opponents by nearly nine points more than the same four players with Jeremy Lin. In fact, the Beverley lineup has the third-highest Net Rating in the NBA among lineups that have logged 200 or more minutes, trailing only the starting lineups for the Warriors and Pacers. Not only are the Rockets better defensively with Beverley, they have outproduced the Lin-led lineup on offense as well. Why? Because the Rockets move the ball better, rebound better, shoot better and turn the ball over less.

“Patrick gives you a point of attack defender that can get up and get into people, change them, make them go different directions and that’s really important,” said McHale. “And Patrick has got a little bit of a swagger to him. He kind of walks out there on the floor like he’s ready to go every single night, and you need that.”

Furthermore, Jeremy Lin’s individual play off the bench behind Harden and Beverley has been much more efficient compared to when he starts at point guard alongside Harden.

In 17 games as a starter next to Houston’s star two guard, Lin is shooting 43.5% and just 28.6% from three for 12.9 points a night in 32.9 minutes. Coming off the bench? Lin is hitting 48.9% from the field and 34.4% from three for 12.6 points per game in 27.1 minutes. That’s essentially the same point total in nearly six minutes less a night.

“One of the challenges with our starting lineup is, with James and Dwight and others in that lineup, it’s hard for (Jeremy) to be in full attack mode and that’s when we think he’s at his best,” said Rockets GM Daryl Morey on SportsTalk 790 last week.

In other words, Beverley is the better fit as the starter. Lin is the better fit as the Sixth Man.

Why do the critics insist the Rockets start an inferior five-man lineup? That’s a good question.

Granted, this article won’t stop some of Lin’s fanatics from continuing to claim that the Rockets have it in for one Jeremy Lin. Just understand they’re wrong. Dead wrong. Because McHale starting Beverley over Lin isn’t bias or hate.

It’s just math.

You may also like...