1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: Scott Foster Shouldn’t Referee Anymore Rockets Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Feb 22, 2019.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why do you always do this durvasa. Everytime. You go with this cliche non informative contrarian argument that is a strawman argument to the real issue. Always.

Its baffling man. I like you as a poster. I k ow how smart you are and can be but you just cant help yourself from having these bizarro stances.

Rondo ran into harden and harden got the foul.

Harden already passed the ball and then got called for charge.

It was blatant the the foul lebron earned at the end of the game was preordained. The whistle blew almost simultaneously with him jumping.

The foul call discrepancy and the FT discrepancy paints an obvious picture.

And this is just off the top of my head after last nights game.

This doesn't account for the long long history of being royally screwed by Scott foster time and time again.

Take all that "unbiased knowledge" of yours and form an opinion based on the data. Compare it to other games and refs and make an analysis.

Rather than the lazy contrarian takes you always do to feel or seem unbiased.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Good for Harden. For all the bellyaching nba fans do about the man, let’s deal in truths. Harden is not demonstrative. Harden does not instigate. Harden does get the star calls like stars get, he’s also the very best at drawing them. But he does not berate officials and while he redefines the game and tip toes the line of what’s acceptable by the officials, he’s smart enough to not piss on them. He is not one to complain. This isn’t even a complaint. This, like all of Harden’s public statements, is a matter of fact. Scott Foster has beef and should not be allowed to officiate the Houston Rockets ever again. The NBA owes everyone an explanation as to why he even has a whistle to begin with.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh what would of happened if he was as demonstrative as say Draymond last night. DG definitely wouldn't have had the same reactions as harden

4. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Games against the lakers are
    for a guy who likes unbiased knowledge he seems to hate using data when it comes to these things....everything else he uses data.

I have been arguing with durvasa since he was a mod on another forum which became sportstwo. That was 15 years ago. Not sure how a guy can be so well informed and smart at basketball, but clueless about this issue.

Edit: Just realized i was gonna say games against the lakers are a test? To him in the above post but gave up.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

ah. Yeah, and they’re looking pretty bad right now. This far along in the season, could be really bad.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Stephen A said that Chris Paul has already met with the league office about Foster. I guess that’s what he meant by “I don’t know what else to do”. He also said that basically everyone in the Rockets locker room after the game said that he (Foster) does hold some sort of grudge against the team. Not just James.

They were showing the play when Harden supposedly stepped out of bounds on a step back attempt. I just figured he stepped out last night, but the replay looked like his heals were off the floor. I think Foster also made that call but I’m not sure. Foster was in on a few no calls as well when it came to James and CP last night.

CP asked the right question in my opinion.

What else can they do? A grudge is one thing. Do you guys think he may be involved in sort of point shaving as well?

I’m all aboard the conspiracy train today. It’s kinda cathartic.

Jump Ship likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is fake news. Nobody remembers the Wizards game from earlier this year? Foster is a joke and has it out for the Rockets, why do people feel like they have to make **** up to prove the point?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he didnt do anything. harden basically just walked away after all of his calls. youll never see that from DG

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok 1 game that's been acknowledged. disprove the rest then.

theres obviously a significant discrepancy. and its about time harden and cp3 brought it to attention. enough is enough

luckyman76 likes this.
  11. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

last years western confernce finals was the highest rated cable playoff series off all-time and it was decided by refs. This years nba tv ratings are seeing the lingering effects from that series. Ratings down 18%, most people i know are just waiting for baseball and the nfl draft

ilovehtownbb and Swiss Roll like this.
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's the only other game this year he has reffed us in. We are 1-1 this year when Scott Foster is the ref, not 0-7.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

It is part of the narrative that Donaghy was a lone wolf and had no collaborators...

14. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Why does it always have to be 100% one thing or 100% another thing?

Yes, we have done horribly closing games this year. That is undeniable.

Yes, Scott Foster has had some horrendous games officiating our team.

Both can be true at the same time.

Gwalchmai and harold bingo like this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Cp3 is the union president...

16. rockets13champs

Tim Donaghy on twitter said its leagues agenda to take away harden euro and step back in the playoffs and send us home in round 1

luckyman76, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. But I totally agree with this.

Deuce, Easy, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Your point is half-valid. At the same time you're masking the issue of one particular referee calling an abundance phantom foul calls (going back to last year's playoffs), as if to say that calls at pivotal moments don't have an effect on the game, Scott Foster doesn't have a proven track record of involvement with Donaghy, negative comments by players and coaches around the league, etc.

Bad calls and a poisonous referee aren't mutually exclusive, and bad play by the Rockets and bad reffing aren't mutually exclusive, so I completely reject the idea that all blame has to go to the Rockets and none to Foster on this one.

It's irritating to me that people who pick the Rockets to blame after Scott Foster games try to come off as more enlightened than the ref-blaming whiners, when really it's the other side of the same coin. Both things have to be acknowledged.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's funny, but it's true. We'll beat ourselves in these games. We don't need a hatchet job with phantom fouls on all 3 of our big 3.

Gwalchmai and J Sizzle like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I compiled data on the active NBA refs, focusing in on the winning % for home vs visiting teams during the regular season. 538.com published in 2017 that the home team has a .599 regular season winning percentage, on average, in the NBA. The last column reflects what the ref's winnng % is vs that average.

nbarefs.jpg

While Foster is pretty much in line with the league average home winning %, the other trend is that if you split the refs up based on # of years experience, the more "seasoned" refs are above the .599 winning % with the newer refs below that margin:

range.JPG

I remember reading somewhere that if a game is teetering on a blowout in favor of the visiting team, the refs tend to try and equalize that by shifting calls in favor of the home team. Also I think the more "seasoned" vets were easily swayed by the home crowd. I looked at the retired refs with reputations and their home winning % was around .61-.63.

Another thing of note: I don't think Foster was out to get the Rockets like Harden and Paul alluded to, however, he was assigned as the Crew Chief for last night's game and, based on the description from NBA's website:

ref.JPG

Foster has a reputation for lacking interpersonal communication and THAT is something that should be investigated. If the consensus is that you can't talk to him as a player or coach during a game then he's obviously not worthy enough to be the Crew chief.